16 April 2010

Friday Wrap-Up - Life Lesson Edition


~*~*~

I haven't had a week like this in a long time ... thank goodness! To steal a phrase from Maggie, it was a CRAPTACULAR week! I suppose I should have verified the definition of that word before using it. Or I could just go with the assumption that it is a compound word. CRAPPY + SPECTACULAR = CRAPTACULAR. My math skill are much better than my written language skills.

~*~*~

If you've been reading me this week, you know that I've got a Manifest Determination Review to prepare for. The date is now firm (April 28th - and we all know how much I like my dates to be firm) and I can begin to build my case. Although I was initially quite concerned about this meeting (and still am from a perspective of how we got here) I am now looking forward to the process!

I know that sounds a little goofy, but I have something going into this meeting that I've never had before - knowledge! Not only do I know exactly what to expect (and how to stop the review should they deviate from the process) but I've been researching how school district personnel prepare for these meetings - what information they are likely to present to sway the decision their way.

It's an opportunity for me to use my paralegal degree/skills and although I truly wish I wasn't using them for a situation involving Cam, I am grateful that I realized just how much "power" I do have in this situation if I just assert myself.

Maybe this was a life lesson in disguise?

~*~*~

I had to trade in my plate for a serving platter yesterday. What?? Well, I had a little more added to my plate and all of the things that need dealing with began to fall off, so I traded the proverbial plate in for the proverbial platter!

I've got a bit of a bum knee. I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee about 6 years ago (after a significant softball injury). It has been much better than it was before the surgery, but never quite 100%.

The past two weeks, my knee has taken on a life of it's own. In fact, it seemed to be supporting some alien within. I couldn't ignore it any longer and went to my family physician ... who took one look at it, wrote a Rx for an anti-inflammatory (dosed through a topical patch - my first experience with that), and referred me to an orthopedist. Great!

I'm having to focus on myself - my healing - and I find that bothersome.

Another life lesson?

~*~*~

I'm in week 2 of my participation in the 2010 ABL Fantasy Baseball League and I'd just like to state - publicly - that I am NOT a gracious loser? I don't like to lose - so much so that I usually won't even play a game if I don't believe I have a fighting change at winning. In an attempt to work on my fear of failure, I decided to participate in this Fantasy Baseball League.

Here's the deal. I know how to play baseball. I know the rules. I know how to keep a score book (yes, the "old fashion" way). I know how to figure batting averages. I know there is an American League and a National League. And I can probably tell you the mascots of each team.

But I don't follow professional baseball players. I can't tell you who is on which team. I can't tell you who has the best batting average in the National League. I can't name any starting pitchers for any of the teams in Major League Baseball. Hell, I can't even tell you which team is an American League team and which team is a National League team. This puts me at a significant disadvantage.

Let's just say I'm not handling this fear of failure very well. I'm ready to quit rather than deal with feeling like the laughing stock of the Fantasy League. I know that no one cares that I'm a LOSER not doing well. They are focused on winning, not on berating the LOSER causing anyone else to lose.

Yes, I can see this might be a life lesson too.

~*~*~

Here are my two favorite photos of the week from my Project 365 blog. I can't seem to find a life lesson on this topic *grin*



~*~*~

12 comments:

The Burl said...

Every day is a life lesson. It's only the people that pay attention who gain from it. You are very attentive.

And that baseball thing? You're not doing as poorly as you think...

Schmoop said...

Oh suck it up. The Cubs sucked for years. The Reds have sucked for years. And yet many people still love em'. You're not a loser, you are loved. Or something. Cheers Dana!!

Jay said...

What are you complaining about? When I woke up this morning I saw that my 80 point lead over you had been cut to 45. Then Burl made a bunch of changes to the scoring rules and now my lead is only 18. You're doing fine. ;-)

Dana said...

The Burl, I'll be the first to admit it's always easier to just say everyone else is crazy, but I've never had enough self-confidence to do that :)

Matt-Man, but I don't like to suck! Wait ... that's not entirely true ...

Jay, When I last looked last night I was thrilled to see that I had broken 100. I must have looked again this morning before Burl made the changes because although it was better, I was no where near an 18 point difference.

Karen said...

I am not in your fantasy baseball league, but I do play in one for big money. I don't know as much as everyone, but I do know a lot. I actually love it.

Doc said...

Oh come on Dana... Robinson Cano hit 2 HRs for you last night... your team is going to be just fine. Its a long season. enjoy it and kick some butt

Gina said...

Let me know if you have any questions about the Manifestation. I don't know a ton...haven't had one in years...but I can certainly find out the answers.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

quit cher bit**in' ... I was the lowest scoring team last week and am fighting for last place again...I have no idea how burl set up scoring rules in this league, but if I do not quit- you can't either

Dana said...

Karen, EGADS! I'd be HYSTERICAL if I had actually paid to play in this league!

Doc, Robinson Cano?? Who's that?? *giggle* I'm just whining ...

Gina, thanks! I might actually have you take a look at my data before the meeting to see if I have as much of a clue as I think I do.

Dana said...

Bond, at least you got a trophy!

Maggie said...

That is the correct usage of the word. ;) I usually think of it as spectacularly crappy, but crappy + spectacular works as well. hahaha

Little T said...

I know you have struggled with your path in life like the rest of us. Do you think being an advocate for kids like Cam might be it? You are really digging into this and taking a stand for your son. I can't help but think of all of the parents out there who would benefit from what you have learned already!