07 April 2010

Random Dozen

~*~*~

... because I'm functioning on very little sleep and would prefer to not have to think too much ...


1. Define a great relationship.

I cannot begin to tell you how ironic this question is at this particular moment in my life.
In my perfect world a great relationship is built on communication, trust, mutual respect, understanding, empathy, loyalty and unconditional love - communication being the foundation of all of those other qualities and likely the most difficult component to master.

2. Why is it called a "drive-through" if you have to stop? (Real question: What was the last food/drink you purchased at a drive-through?)

Let's see, last Sunday morning (laundry day), McDonald's #1 (Egg McMuffin) with a large coffee - 1 Splenda, 2 creams. They like me at McDonald's because I know what I want when I get to the speaker and I answer all of their questions (i.e. "What would you like in your coffee?") before they even have to ask them. I take great pride in my drive-through efficiency. Matt-Man would be so proud!

3. As I type this, the Butler Bulldogs are getting ready to play in the NCAA championship game. Every Hoosier is hysterical about this except me. So in honor of the Bulldogs ... what is your favorite breed of dog? (I tried.)

I am partial to Golden Retrievers - loyal and loving - two of the qualities I look for in all relationships!

4. If you had to move to a state besides the one you currently live in, where would you move?

Probably Washington. The older I get the more I realize the value of family ... and I miss mine!

5. If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?

I was tempted to go for the "I wouldn't change anything because then I wouldn't be me" spiel, but the truth is there is one thing I really don't like about me and I believe it would have been a non-issue had my upbringing been different. I wish I had grown up receiving unconditional love.


I have grown so weary of feeling like I always have to "earn" love and friendship - wondering what it is I'll screw up "this time" that will push people away - always questioning if I really am deserving of love and friendship. I can't imagine (really - I can't) what it would be like to know and believe - without a doubt - that I was good enough.

6. Who's the funniest person you know?

In "real" life? Wow ... I don't know any people that I would describe as funny. If that's not telling, I'm not sure what is.


If we include know like in the blog sense know, I could easily say Jay. He regularly cracks me up not only in his blog posts, but on Twitter as well.

7. Did you get enough sleep last night?

No. Since moving into the apartment four months ago, insomnia has been my constant companion. I fall asleep fairly easy, but wake up three, four ... sometimes even more times each night. I cannot remember the last time I slept through even a 3-hour stretch of time.

8. What's the first thing you thought about this morning?

When I officially got out of bed, or the first time I woke up "in the morning" (2:13 AM)? When I got out of bed my first thought was COFFEE. At 2:13 AM I was considering ways I might be able to repair a situation that took an unexpected - and completely undesired - turn yesterday.


9. Grilled or Fried? --HONESTLY

Grilled ... with only a rare exception. I like my meat to taste like the meat it is, not the coating it's covered in.

10. Are you afraid of the dark?

Ummm ... I do have night-lights in all of my rooms.

11.When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Most of you already know this - my first career choice was an attorney. Then I had the silly notion that I could make a living in music performance. When reality smacked me up along side the head I changed my college major to engineering.

That worked until I dropped out of college, gave up on dreams and opted for practicality, focusing on a career in something I was actually good at - accounting.

Then I dared to dream again and considered a medical career but was too afraid I'd fail and let go of that dream. When I finally went back to college (at 40), I did pursue the initial dream (kind of) and completed my degree in paralegal studies. And where am I now? Back in my comfort zone doing something I'm good at (accounting) but have absolutely no passion for.


12. If you had one word to describe yourself , what would you choose?

Simple, as in childlike: exhibiting childlike simplicity and credulity; "childlike trust"; "dewy-eyed innocence"; "listened in round-eyed wonder" ... not simple as in dim-witted: lacking mental capacity and subtlety ... although some might disagree with that.

~*~*~

7 comments:

Schmoop said...

You are a Drive-Thru workers' dream. Do you have your bills facing the same way as well? If you do...I am in love. But I have a question...

Childlike? Simplicity? You are so detailed. WTF? Cheers Dana!!

Jay said...

I too am excellent at the drive through. The only place I ever do the drive through at is McDonalds though. I get the #6 w/ no onions and coke to drink, regular size.

But, I actually hate drive throughs. The people who work the drive through are generally morons. So, I go in so I can inspect everything to make sure it's right before I leave.

Night lights? I have to have it pitch dark before I can sleep. I love the dark.

Also, grilled is definitely better. Even chicken. Unless I'm just craving fried chicken.

Anonymous said...

I share your love for Washington but I have no family out there. Will you adopt me?

(Dang! I can't use open ID for Wordpress here at work - The Man won't let me sign in to my WP account. That being said, this is Brian from http://bikinfool.wordpress.com)

Dana said...

Matt-Man, on those rare occasions when I pay in cash, yes - bills always facing the same direction and in order of denomination.

Yeah ... I guess out of context that "simple" is a little hard to swallow, isn't it?! Simple in my NEEDS and WANTS ... better?

Jay, I'm so anal about drive throughs that if I have a car full of kids that haven't given me their order before we get in the drive-through line, I park and make them go inside.

The Phool, sure! You can be part of my family! I should warn you though ... you might regret that decision!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I agree with the drive thru situation..I know it, I state it..I have the cash in hand, exact change if possible (I keep a bunch of coins in the car at all times)

I also thought (not simple), but your response to MM made more sense.

I hope that situation turns back the way it should my friend

Real Live Lesbian said...

I'm still trying to learn how to order a coffee at Starbucks. Why is it so hard?

Although, I used to have the single, cheese, no onion at Wendy's down pat!

I say let's just never grow up...then we don't have to decide.

Deech said...

Nice random dozen. I can relate to the answer of question #11.