26 April 2010

Send in the Good Karma Fairies



~*~*~

I've got an "exciting" week ahead. This morning I am off to the orthopedist to see if he can figure out what's going on with my knee. I'm hoping this isn't a deterioration of the microfracture surgery I had done in 2004, but I've got a sneaking suspicion it might be just that.


This was not a fun surgery. It involved a great deal of pain and a long (6-8 weeks on crutches, 6 months of physical therapy) recovery time. I really don't want to experience that again ...

*UPDATE* I walked out of the orthopedist with a cortisone shot, a prescription for physical therapy and a 6-week follow-up appointment. I got to hear the "A"-word (arthritis - which makes me feel ancient) but hopefully this plan of action will keep me out of the surgical suite. This was the "best" possible outcome I could have had for this visit. I am thrilled. No! Really!

~*~

Wednesday is Cam's Manifestation Determination and Individualized Education Plan Review. This will likely be a 4-hour plus meeting assuming the school district is prepared ... which has never happened in the past.

~*~

Still no news on the job interview. Several people have told me the process is often long and drawn out, and that I shouldn't be too concerned about the delay. Waiting is always difficult.

I'll keep y'all updated and will try not to make this an aches and pains blog, although some of you might argue it always has been an aches and pains blog *grin*

~*~*~

15 comments:

Professor Fate said...

The hiring process seem to have slowed down in the current economy. Maybe when unemployment gets out of the double digits (or down to 5-6%) employers will be a bit quicker to pull the trigger.

Patience is a virtue.

Deech said...

Good Vibes being cast your way from the Joker and his crew here at Arkham.

Jay said...

I just love the words "Manifestation Destination." It sounds so .. I don't know ... awesome. And ominous.

Hope the knee doesn't require anything painful. ;-)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

UGH...I have knee problems, so I wish you much health.

The there is your little fun with the school this week...just remember, you know better than some clown who does not know your son.

My fingers are still crossed on the job front.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm dealing with different "school issues" today, but I feel your pain. And I hope that knee pain is nothing serious (surgery serious at least!).

Dana said...

Professor Fate, being that this is a position for a not-for-profit, and a very visible position, there is quite a bit of background work (on the part of the employer) as well. Certainly not speedy.

Joker_SATX, thank you!!

Jay, the cortisone shat was a bit uncomfortable (i.e. hurt like HELL) but the relief was almost immediate after the shot was finished. Pretty amazing ... actually ...

Dana said...

Bond, I think anything joint related sucks! And I'm still looking forward to this "review" on Wednesday. Knowledge is such a wonderful thing!

Evil Twin's Wife, dealing with the public school - in any capacity - is, unfortunately, all too often painful.

Doc said...

Heres hoping for no surgery...

Anonymous said...

Thought that picture was showing some funky way to get the yolk out of a hard boiled egg. Guess not, eh?

Glad your ortho visit went well. It's odd seeing someone happy about a diagnosis of RA, but I can see your point.

Hope Cam's Manifestation Determination (reminds me of Manifest Destiny from history class back in the day) goes smoothly too.

we're doomed said...

Good luck on every issue Dana.

Maggie said...

Glad to hear that the knee thing isn't as bad as you thought it might be. Good luck with everything else!

Gina said...

I have arthritis in my hands too. It blows.

I wish I lived close enough to you that I could come advocate for you on Wednesday. If you move to my neck of the woods, I'm offering my advocacy services pro bono for the rest of Cam's academic career! Really!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Well congrats on the arthritis! As a child of the 80s, I totally get that as being good news!

And I'm still praying for the job for you and the very best for Cam!

Schmoop said...

Good luck with everything and it's nice to know you need not go under the knife. Cheers Dana!!

Karen said...

Good news on the knee situation! Waiting on the job stuff is the worst. But I am sending you good vibes.