14 April 2010

Half Empty Or Half Full?

~*~*~

Yesterday was one of those days. One where the highs were high and the lows were low. Of course highs are usually high and lows are usually low, but it sounded good when I wrote it.

The chaos actually started Monday. We had a "situation" at work late Friday afternoon. Our payroll administrator gave her 2-week notice. Everyone knew she was retiring this year (she's been with the company 20 years), but that wasn't supposed to happen until June and the thought was that she would give at least 8-weeks notice. Instead, she decided to give back what she been given.

Understand that although I work for a company that employs more than 500 people, job openings are few and far between. People stay at my company forever and the company doesn't let anyone go - even when performance is well below acceptable. I was looking forward to the payroll administrator job vacancy - it's a job I'm qualified for and was a significant promotion.

Unfortunately, my employer didn't announce the vacancy and decided to promote the receptionist to the payroll administrator job. Yes ... the RECEPTIONIST. Now, I understand business and business decisions. I get that sometimes people who are less qualified for promotions are given them for the greater good of the company. But this decision was so "out there" that it really bothered me ... and I went to my supervisor (the CFO) Tuesday morning and voiced my frustration.

The result? I was told in a round about way to get over and get back to my job. The decision was made. That's the way the company works. Get used to it. Not what I wanted to hear but at least it clarified where I stood.

Then lunch rolled around ...

A few weeks ago I applied for a job with an employer that I've wanted to work for for quite some time. A phone interview was scheduled for yesterday at 12:30. The 20 minute phone interview extended to 35 minutes and went extremely well. I moved into round 2 of the interview process which requires I submit answer to 10 short essay questions (communication - written and verbal - is a HUGE component of this position).

This development more than made up for the disappointment of the "underhanded" promotion I just dealt with. Although I am in no way assured of getting the position, it was validation that I really don't have to just "get over" unethical treatment from my current employer - that I have skills that are valuable and desirable.

Then came the afternoon ...

I received an email from Cam's school principal - Cam was given in-school suspension (ISS) for too many office referrals. Last week he received 6 office referrals - 2 for talking/laughing in class and 4 for not doing classwork during the class period (not disrupting the class, just not doing anything while being quiet). An accumulation of 5 office referrals necessitates an ISS.

Normally, this would not be an issue, however it was the 11th day this school year that Cam has received either ISS or OSS (out of school suspension) and in the land of IEPs and special education, this is a magic number. Once a special education student has served 11 days of suspension, Federal law mandates a "Manifestation Determination" hearing be held.

In a nutshell, this is a hearing to determine if the behavior that has caused the ISS and/or OSS for 10 consecutive, or cumulative, days is a manifestation of the child's disability. This is - and isn't - a big deal. This is not a hearing in front of the board of education, but rather one held with the IEP team, but the results of the hearing (either a yes or a no) determine the next steps that must be taken, and those can be as simple as IEP modifications, or as significant as a change in school placement.

Add to that pressure a short time-frame to prepare -10 days - and I'm under the gun to perform. I've decided to handle the Manifestation Determination hearing on my own (with support from my parent advocate and Cam's neuropsych), but should the results of the hearing be "No" (the behavior is NOT a manifestation of the disability), I will appeal and I will need to hire an attorney. Not sure how I'll make that happen, but it has to.

So, how has your week been? Has the new moon phase created chaos for you?? I can blame it on the moon, right? Than I don't have to take any responsibility ...

~*~*~

15 comments:

Raquel's World said...

Wow a definitely full day to say the least! My son too is on an IEP and I feel that the IEP team is no more qualified or concerned than a shoelace of my son's true issues or making him successful. My experience is their main concern is paperwork and the politics of the whole thing. The whole IEP situation should be reevaluated and changed in my opinion.

Brian said...

Good luck with round 2 of the interview!! I'm sure you'll do a bang up job responding to those questions!

You can get referrals for simply being quiet but not doing your work in class? Sounds like a load of BS to me. What if he had completed the work? What if he wanted to do it at home on his own? (I know, I know) Seems that those 4 referrals for being quiet should count less. It's such a tough position to be in. Hang in there!

Karen said...

The job stuff is unfair, but it so typical. Unless there are mandates for public posting of a job, it is hard to challenge that stuff. And as always I hope for the best in the Cam situations.

snugs said...

"I can blame it on the moon, right? Than I don't have to take any responsibility ..."

Why is there a need to place blame at all? It is what it is, and you do have to take responsibility because you are the parent and you are all that he has. I am sorry, I am not trying to be a bitch, it just gets old how you always want to blame someone or something, I don't know what you get out of always blaming others unless it just eases your responsibilty or guilt...so now it is the moon's fault for Cam not doing his work, notice how you take up for him because he was not disruptive this time? So it is ok not to do your work as long as you don't disturb the class is that it? I know you are going to bite my head off because I don't understand his special needs, so go for it, but I just have to wonder what you are going to do when he gets to high school...6 referrals in one week, 11 days of suspension..

Dana said...

Rhonda the Real, I would agree with your evaluation of the IEP team, but I've come to learn that they tend to count on an unequal distribution of power (they have it all, parents/child have none) and the more I educate myself on the process, the more the power shifts to me. In an odd way, I'm actually looking forward to this hearing.

Brian, they are TOUGH, and very personal questions. My challenge will not be the mechanics of communication, but rather the subject matter. We shall see!

The student conduct manual uses a broad term of "disruptive classroom behavior" The teacher's position is that when Cam does not do his work in class - even if he is being quiet - it is "disruptive" to the education process because other kids see him doing nothing and then question why they have to. I can't say that position makes much sense to me.

Karen, it is unfair, and I struggle with that because it will never be fair. Sure, it would increase employee moral if it just appeared to be fair, but that isn't a concern here.

Dana said...

snugs, awww ... I put that line in there just for you - wondering if you'd bite - and you didn't disappoint! My faith in your motivation is validated again!!

All that you bring up are - and have been for quite some time - HUGE concerns of mine. Well ... except for your continued accusation that I'm always wanting to blame someone else because you're just WRONG on that one. But hey! If it makes you feel better then go ahead on with your bad self! QCTM

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm sorry you're dealing with this all at once. If you need an ear, you can email me. I think like an attorney and regularly keep our insurance company on their toes. ;-)

Jay said...

I think every place I've ever worked did the same type of thing in the office area. They simply moved people into positions without any formal process. Is this receptionist hot? That would explain a few things.

Actually, I thought you were going to say that they were consolidating that position with yours and going to have you do both for no more pay. Companies love to do that too.

Schmoop said...

That sucks about the job. I hat eplaces like that. Ironically enough, in the menial job that I work, I have never worked for a better person and am pretty damn happy.

Good luck with the interview questions and with Cam's hearing. And dammit. Snugs never stops by to comment on my site anymore. I'm jealous. Cheers Dana!!

Dana said...

Evil Twin's Wife, what? I can't call you? I've been relegated to email?? I actually may take you up on that offer!

Jay, she's not even close to hot ... which only further confused me!

Matt-Man, funny ... I wouldn't classify your job as "menial" because in my world beer is NOT menial ... but I know what you mean.

And if you want snugs to comment on your blog you need to dangle a carrot. I wasn't kidding when I told her I put that line in there just for her. She hadn't had anything nasty to say for quite some time and I wanted to be sure she was still reading. TA-DA! My plan worked! *snicker*

Maggie said...

That is total crap about the receptionist being moved up like that. I guess it's better than posting the job and getting peoples' hopes up even though you know you're promoting from within, but still! Oh well, good luck with your next round of interviews!

Dana said...

snugs, what? Now you are telepathic? You know what's going to happen even when it doesn't? Do you see dead people and hear ghosts whispering too?

Maggie, I'm not sure either is good, but I now know how it works and how it will always work, which is a good thing!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Good luck with the new job, if it happens you can give your old company the same respect they have given you.

I heard this week that my company has capped me. No matter how long I stay I will NEVER get another increase in salary. Supposedly they feel I make too much as it is. I am fearful this means they will look for ways to push me out in the near future.

SO, no matter how well I do my job, I am stuck at my salary. Sure I have a job, but one with no incentive...nice huh?

we're doomed said...

Good luck with the new job opportunity. And good luck with Cam. The Moon is guilty of a lot of things. Mostly, an increase in the population. QCTM

Me said...

Dana merchants put logos on pens knowing they will be taken and that is just an advertising expense. It's not stealing to take one of those pens.