23 April 2010

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~

Have you noticed there hasn't been a meme here in a while? Well, unless you consider the Sunday Secrets a meme, which I guess they technically are.

Occasionally I re-evaluate the blog to make sure it isn't getting stale, boring and predictable. It's easy to fall into the trap of letting someone else do the writing for you (i.e. memes). It's a heck of a lot easier than trying to come up with ideas on your own.

~*~

Those of you who follow me on Twitter know that I had a job interview on Wednesday. This has been the most extensive and intrusive job interview I've ever experienced.

I definitely have the skills necessary for success in this position, but it is also a position with a very public face. The process began last week with a 45-minute phone interview.

I did well enough in the phone interview to be selected to participate in the short essay phase of the process - eleven questions that included some very personal inquiries that required a great deal of transparency when answering.

My answers earned me the opportunity for a face-to-face interview on Wednesday. I was the first interview of the remaining candidates and knew I had to set the bar high.

The challenge? Unlike a "traditional" job, there can be no secrets here. There is no division between "work Dana" and "private Dana." It's difficult to sell yourself when you need to insure all of your warts are exposed. This position, should I get it, allows me to truly make a difference in the world and dishonesty (or half-truths) would certainly eliminate me from the pool of viable candidates.

I should hear today if I was selected to move forward into the panel interview.

~*~

If you've been reading me for a while you know that I've been lucky enough to meet several bloggers. Those meeting have always required I travel to them. This week I had lunch with a blogger who has been reading me for quite some time and, along with his family, has become a friend.

He was traveling north this week and made a special effort to stop in Podunk. I don't know if y'all realize this but Podunk is a bit off the beaten path. There was something very special about having someone make the effort to come here, to meet me, and the meeting was wonderful.

I have yet to be disappointed with a single blogger meet up, and something tells me I never will. I have some of the best readers!

~*~

Favorite photos from my Project 365 blog this week?







~*~*~

6 comments:

Schmoop said...

Good luck on the job front. Have a wonderful weekend Dana. Cheers!!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Good luck with the job! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! :-)

Gina said...

Keep up updated on the job! Sending positive thoughts your way!

Volly said...

Wow, the job sounds intense! Hope it's what you want, and it proves to be worth the preparation. I can't remember ever having an interview that wasn't stressful in some way...

Vixen said...

The best of luck on the job Dana. Takes guts to go into an interview completely honest like you have done....kuddos.

:)

Average Chick said...

I've been sending you good mojo to you all week for the job! Nothing sucks more than being in a job that you don't like but can't find a replacement one. That's where I was.

Watch out too :) One of these days I may just hop in the cruiser and motor my way to Podunk :)