22 April 2010

To Hug Or Not To Hug?

~*~*~

Hi! My name is Dana and I am a hugger.

*everyone chime in* Welcome Dana!

I haven't always been this way. It's something that seems to have taken over my life in the last 5 years or so. I've never thought much about the transition from non-hugger to hugger, it just sort of happened.

When Annie and Burl did a hugging story on their show a while back (if you aren't listening to them on Blog Talk Radio, you are missing out) discussing Jeff Ondash, a serial hugger who set a world record for most hugs in a 24-hour period - 7,777 - I started wondering what it was that sent me off the hugging deep end.

I'll admit it, hugging is a bit selfish on my part. It makes me feel good. My hope is that it makes the huggee feel good too, but I am all too aware of the creepy crawlies that occur when you are NOT a hugger and are assaulted in the arms of family, friends and strangers.

I had one of those awkward "to hug or not to hug" moments yesterday. For the first time in the almost three years that I have been blogging, a blogger - the elusive WE'RE DOOMED - came to Podunk to meet up with me! When we got out of our vehicles, he held out his hand offering it in a handshake, and I said, "Oh, I think we need to hug," and proceeded to do just that.

Based on his "posture" during the hug, I think that was a safe move on my part, but it could have just as easily gone the other way. Let me tell you, there is nothing worse than giving a hug and getting feedback (only shoulders touching, huggee doing everything they can to not have full-frontal contact, the squishy arm sling, the gratuitous shoulder pat, etc.) that let's you know you've committed hugging sin.

Speaking of hugging sin, do y'all know about side-hugs? I had never heard of side-hugs until getting involved in church again. Apparently full-frontal hugs can go from friendly to sensual in the blink of an eye, therefor they are BANNED in many youth ministries and have been replaced with side-hugs with only shoulder-to-shoulder contact. Odd ...

Anyway, do tell! Are you are hugger?

~*~*~

20 comments:

Shiny Rod said...

I have to confess, I am a hugger! Will somebody hug me?

Schmoop said...

I am hugger with people I am close to. However...

Much like in Doomed's case I would have held at my hand as well, because as you said, I wouldn't want to go through the pain of hug rejection...or something. Cheers dana!!

Deech said...

Yes I am! My wife and I both are huggers. My ex wife is not a hugger. This is one of the many reasons on the list of why she is my ex wife. And one of the criteria for my current wife. The law was plain...no hugs no marriage. Simple as that.

Another Ordinary Girl said...

My name is Jen and I am a hugger!

Karen said...

I am not only a hugger, but a kisser. I kiss everyone on the cheek. I was raised to kiss hello and goodbye at all times. I don't go around kissing strangers, but if I met you a few times, you'll be getting a kiss hello and goodbye.

Jay said...

I too am a hugger. And I've got the restraining orders to prove it!

Dana said...

Shiny Rod, {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Matt-Man, I think this meeting bloggers/cyber friends for the first time is kind of a gray area. I mean, we feel like we've known them forever, yet it's the first physical contact.

Oh, and when we first meet? If you hold out your hand I'm going to slap it!

Joker_SATX, I know that from personal experience!

Dana said...

Another Ordinary Girl, *everyone join in* Welcome Jen!

Karen, a kisser? Hmmm ... now see that would push my personal boundaries I think ...

Jay, isn't it a requirement of a stalker to be a hugger?

Schmoop said...

Ha...Tell ya what. When I meet ya, I'll hug ya because you and I have had are ups and downs, back and forth, and some not so good times, so hugging you would mean more than a hug from someone with whom everything was just duckie. Cheers Dana!!

Forest Bard's Wife said...

I am a total hugger and kisser if I feel comfortable with the huggee in question. I don't KNOW you in real life, but I would totally hug you upon meeting. I'm also a casual "toucher" with friends. I'll poke a leg or stroke the back of people I feel super secure around.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

When we meet there will be hugs...no doubt...I am a hugger...it is in my blood

I think I hugged Jay..I know Nancy did!

I hugged Annie and Kimmeh and even The Burl

Dana said...

Matt-Man, are you trying to say that being a bitch will get me full-frontal contact? I need to try that more often!

Evil Twin's Wife, another kisser! Who knew so many of you were kissers? And I am a toucher too!

Bond, and I am certain Jay hugged Nancy back!

Maggie said...

Wow, you know a lot of huggers...

I am not a hugger, though I am far less freaked out by them than I used to be. I would really prefer that people not touch me in general. :)

Anonymous said...

I have been labeled a non-hugger when in fact, I think I really am a hugger. I am apparently in the closet on this one.

Little T said...

LOL! I met my roommates friend tonight and as she was leaving I said, "I am a hugger. I don't shake hands". Love it.

Raquel's World said...

Wow- thought more people would be anti-hugging. I prefer not to hug. I attended a funeral this past week and the hugging was far too much and the hugs lasted far toooo long. Uncomfortable.

we're doomed said...

All I have to say is that I've never been slapped for shaking hands. QCTM

Volly said...

Hugging is one of those things I've just sort of trained myself to do because it's so pervasive. No regrets on that score. But I recall a job some years ago where a co-worker was really strident about it. She was a widow, and insisted on hugs from everybody all the time. She made such an issue of it that it was a major turnoff, not just for me but many others in our little "lunch bunch."

From watching TV, I've actually perfected sort of a hug technique that prevents the types of mishaps that I was once prone to, such as inadvertently grabbing somebody's butt. I see a hug coming, lift my right arm, aiming for the shoulder -- the rest just follows naturally.

Vixen said...

I'm totally a hugger. I'm also a [inappropriate] toucher....touch your arm when I talk to you, make a joke, etc.

I do try to respect personal space. I've certainly gone to give someone a hug and they side stepped me with their hip and one arm thing. Doh.

Average Chick said...

I'm am very much a hugger. I love hugs!

And that side hug crap? Wow. I'm sure Jesus didn't do the side hug back in the day.