12 March 2010

Friday Wrap-Up (School Version)

~*~*~

Ahhh ... Friday ...

Today I'll get back to some sort of normalcy, hopefully for quite some time.

Cam heads back to school today. Although his suspension was up Tuesday (he was eligible to return Wednesday) there were some "issues" that needed to be worked through in order to make his return to school a positive one (*crosses fingers*).

~*~*~

Cam's neuropsych eval continues. This has been an interesting process and will likely change what I think I know. What started out as an estimate of two 3-hour sessions has turned into at least four 3-hour sessions. The process has been following the onion adage - each time a layer is peeled back it becomes clear there are more layers to pull back.

I've had to adjust to the idea that Cam may have a "less glamorous" diagnosis - but hopefully I will soon have the data that will help him most.

~*~*~

There have been several comments about my being too close to this situation to be most effective in securing an appropriate education for Cam. I do believe there is some truth there, but ... that's as good as it gets right now.

Karen mentioned that she thought advocates might be provided for students at no cost. There is ONE, district "sponsored" advocate that works with Cam's school district (the 6th largest school district in Illinois). ONE. I've been trying to work with her for about a month now, but at this point I can't even get her to return a phone call, my guess is because she is COMPLETELY overwhelmed.

The good news is that Cam's neuropsych goes above and beyond what is "typical" and will be available to present all of the testing data to the school district and will be making MEDICALLY based recommendations for Cam's placement. This is HUGE. Often times a doctor (choose your favorite flavor) makes a diagnosis then sends you on your way. It will be a wonderful advantage to have the doctor who gathered the data present the data - in person - to the school district.

~*~*~

I mentioned moving to another state this week and yes, I really am serious about this. Part of my frustration with Cam's school experience is a frustration with Illinois' management of education funding - specifically the additional $12,000 Cam's school should be receiving because Cam is on an IEP.

The BBC recently did a story on Illinois financial crisis ... the BBC. I thought I'd share the link for anyone interested. Understand, the district they filmed is near and dear - a suburban/rural district - a district with high property taxes that fund one of the highest per pupil expenditures in the state. This is one of the best districts Illinois has to offer.

BBC News - World News America - Illinois faces budget crisis

Illinois, the state President Obama once called home, is in a 'crisis of epic proportions' according to its Governor. The state is struggling to pay its bills and is considered by some to be on the edge of bankruptcy.
There are obviously problems I cannot fix (yes, I actually am aware of that) and this might be one of them. One of the benefits of states managing education is that I can move to another state that does a better job, and I have almost instant access to school district data via the internet.

~*~*~

Favorite Dana Does Digital entries this week ...




~*~*~

8 comments:

Jay said...

There are so many states facing the same problems. Whenever the states get into fiscal trouble, they cut healthcare for the children/poor people and education.

Kansas City is closing half it's schools. So don't bother moving there. haha


Hopefully if you do move the new school district will accept all the psych evals that have been done and not make Cam go through it all again.

Real Live Lesbian said...

I love the *wash* photo!

::hopes Dana moves closer::

Karen said...

I know New York is supposed to have one of the greatest programs for autistic/autistic spectrum kids. My cousin and her family moved over the border from NJ for that very reason. Ya know, just incase you wanted to come closer to me. :-)

Gina said...

If I didn't love my job so much, I would become an advocate in a heartbeta. Good luck and keep us posted.

Little T said...

Keep fighting the good fight, mama. It will all be worth it in the end.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Dana...you will always know what is best for your child...and what you have to do for your child.

k bare said...

hang in there.

Lu' said...

The comments bout you being "too close" Thank God for Cam sake. So many parents just let their kids move throught he system with out batting an eye. I know I know one can be too too close but you keep up the fight MOM!