08 March 2010

Invisible, Not Imaginary

~*~*~

Invisible disabilities make up 10% of the disabled population yet since they can't be seen, they are easily dismissed as imaginary.

Invisible disabilities include autoimmune disabilities (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, crohn's disease), chronic pain disabilities (fibromyalgia, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder), dietary disabilities (celiac disease, diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome), psychiatric disabilities (major depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders) and my favorite, neurological disabilities (multiple sclerosis, ADHD, asperger syndrome).

Invisible disabilities are no less debilitating than spina bifida or blindness, but because we aren't alerted to them by a wheel chair or a guide dog, they are taken less seriously. People are accused of making them up.

I hear it often. In fact, I listened to it for the last seven years. There was an abundance of it in the comments of my Friday Wrap-Up (Angry Version). And I constantly hear it from teachers. I am enabling Cam to be the way he is. If I were disciplining him at home he wouldn't need to be disciplined in school. If he would just work up to his potential, there wouldn't be a problem. If I'd quit catering to him and set my foot down he'd quit manipulating everyone. As a parent of a child with an invisible disability, I am often blamed for Cam's difficulties. I am an easy target.

It's devastating to be "forced" to listen to these comments. I know Cam has an invisible disability - just as clearly as I know that spring follows winter - yet when everything seems to start going better, a crisis erupts and Cam and I are blamed.

I understand the frustration of the school and of some of my readers. I really do. I am frustrated too. Cam has gotten to the point where he has completely shut down in class. Homework is a nightmare. Cam's Aspergers and ADHD make even the most simple organizing overwhelming. I understand this, but I can't seem to get his teachers and other adults to understand this.

I am often overwhelmed. All of my hard-learned, carefully researched and professionally-based explanations of the things I know about Cam are perceived as excuses. When I try to relay to others what I've learned, it's viewed as "enabling."

Am I an enabler? No. I know Cam's strengths and weaknesses and I step in and defend him when needed. I am his advocate. This isn't the same as buying beer for an alcoholic or driving the drug addict to her dealers house. The school's stance has been that he should do everything by himself, no matter the struggle, the frustration or the amount of time it takes. This is no different that requiring a child in a wheelchair to participate in a regular PE class, and I can't imagine a single person thinking that was reasonable.

Cam needs a strong advocate. Someone who will stand up for him, be assertive and deal with school issues and personnel in a way that gives him an equal opportunity to become a successful student, a student who learns what his mind is capable of learning rather than being held back by his neurological differences.

Unfortunately, his teachers think I'm too involved. They (and probably a handful of my readers) believe I am an enabler. It is simply easier to blame me, or Cam, than it is for those people to think and do things differently.

I have a responsibility to Cam. Unfortunately, in today's school culture that requires accountability for production and quality of work, I am made to feel I shouldn't step in and help, that Cam must somehow find academic success with no assistance, no advocacy, no voice for his needs. I am seen as overprotective. I am made to feel that if I stand up for Cam, my actions are the reason he is having problems.

I struggle to teach Cam the skills he needs to be independent. Why would I work so hard otherwise? It's not fun. I don't get any joy from it. I don't get any personal recognition for the incredible extra efforts it takes to help Cam find academic success and coping skills. There isn't a paycheck involved, in fact - on average - I spend $160/month on medical co-pays related to Cam's disability. No one pats me on the back and tells me to keep up the good work, least of all Cam. He is convinced I am the most evil parent in the world and frequently talks about how wonderful his life will be when he leaves. It is my responsibility to make sure he can leave.

I work diligently to guarantee Cam's ultimate independence and good mental health. I'm not coddling him by smoothing the rocky path while we try to find ways to manage the obstacles. I am making sure the playing field is level so that he'll WANT to play and not give up completely in discouragement.

I understand why teachers want Cam to be responsible and productive. I do too! But often their solution is detention or failure. This is the easiest, most economical, one-size-fits-all solution that really doesn't fit all students and is often damaging to students with disabilities.

Studies show that countries like Sweden and Japan who show juvenile offenders care and nurturing have a much lower rate of recidivism than countries who use humiliation and punishment. Schools that show children care and nurturing also produce far less angry students, less dropouts and more successes than schools that dole out punishment or detention.

It requires a different way of thinking, and change is hard - if not impossible - in the public school system.

I really should have as much of a voice in Cam's schooling as the school does, and I shouldn't have to be afraid of being labeled the cause of Cam's disability. I didn't parent him into Aspergers and ADHD and I won't be able to parent him out of them either, but given the right tools, I can help teach him the coping mechanisms he needs to be successful.

He may have an invisible disability, but it isn't an imaginary disability.

~*~*~

17 comments:

Schmoop said...

True enough and in the same vein many people have invisible anger and loneliness that are invisible but not imagined as well. Good Luck, Dana. Cheers!!

Karen said...

I think that in recent years many misbehaved kids have been labeled with ADHD, sensory issues, etc. as an excuse for bad behavior. I am not saying that Cam falls into that group, but that group does exist. When I was in school kids didn't "shut down" in class. It just didn't happen. If you don't have personal experience with them, these disabilities may be hard to understand.

I don't think you are an enabler. I do think you are too close to the situation to be the best advocate. As an attorney, I say as soon as I get emotionally invested in you or your case, I am doing my job less effectively. I think the same applies to you. You are just too close. A professional child advocate would be your best option.

J said...

That's the thing about Asperger's. AS kids seem to the outside world to be a "normal" well functioning brain. They don't carry around a sign saying "Hey I'm not neurotypical!". It's hard to see their struggles with functioning as a neurptypical kid unless you know them on a daily basis. An AS child can be with you in the moment, but not really able to process what is really going on in that moment. I don't think snugs and doggybloggy understand the reality of raising an AS child. What may look as enabling to some is the only effective way to raise an AS child. How can you hold him totally accountable when he really doesn't grasp why it was so wrong? Children like him do not have the social skills or brain synapses that make it possible to fully understand social situations and outcomes. Most kids with AS can't even read a person's emotions, or understand the tones and other nuances of speech that let people know what the other person is feeling. There are lots of great books out there to help you learn other ways of coping.
I have ADHD and so does my son. There is a book called "Healing ADD" by Daniel G. Amen M.D. It's all about the 6 different types of ADD and the most effective medicine for that particular type of ADD. It's very insightful. Maybe it will help some with Cam. I think you should pick it up and talk to his neuropsych about it.

rage said...

I think that Cam's teachers need to be told to fuck off for making those kind of comments. They have no idea what you go through to take care of him so they have no right to say such things.

Dana said...

Matt-Man, absolutely! And those, too, can be quite debilitating.

Karen, I think that in recent years we've gotten better at identifying ADHD and autism spectrum kids - just as we have gotten better at identifying cancer and mental illness. I don't believe there are "many misbehaved kids labeled with ADHD, sensory issues, etc. as an excuse for bad behavior." although there are definitely some. In fact, I would say that that attitude is what is doing the most harm to these kids with neurological issues.

Am I too close to this situation to be the best advocate? Maybe. Probably. But right now it is as good as I can do. Professional advocates (good ones) come with a hefty price tag, averaging $100/hour plus expenses. A great investment if you have the financial means, but not within my reach currently.

J, I will be the first to admit that Asperger's and ADHD (along with other neurologically based disabilities) do, indeed, look like poor parenting. I sometimes wish Cam would just fall in the middle of the floor and have a seizure as that would be far more "acceptable."

I am currently reading Kids in the syndrome mix of ADHD, LD, Asperger's, Tourette's, bipolar, and more! : the one stop guide for parents, teachers, and other professionals but will look into Healing ADD when I finish!

Professor Fate said...

I have my own invisible disability, so I can speak with some first hand knowledge. My wife is the head of disability services for an area college, so I know about the law. I have a child with her own invisible disability, so I know where you are feeling as a parent.

It is not your fault. You are not making him worse. You cannot make him "better."

Where you may be doing Cam, society and yourself a disservice: You are trying to help him fit into the neuro-typical world by society (the school) modify itself instead of helping him learn how to fit into the neuro-typical world the way it is. (I know that IDEA allows him some accommodations and I think he should take full advantage of them in the learning environment, but he also needs to become more self-aware so he can avoid "meltdowns" or conflicts with the neuro-typical world.)

Temple Grandin: The world needs all kinds of minds

Cam is special. There is a place in the world for him, but he will need to be able to fit into it.

Dana said...

kittykillkill, I would love to tell Cam's teachers that, but I do try to fit societal norms and instead say it here on the blog. I do my best to be respectful in person :)

Professor Fate, I would agree. I have attempted to "accommodate" him into the world and the world doesn't work that way - accommodations are part of it, but I've got to work on getting him the skills he'll need to function better as well.

I have not been diligent with that part of the equation but am now (finally) moving in that direction. Trial and error ... trial and error ...

Gina said...

Holy crap. I just read the responses on your last post and I can't believe it. I assume that those posters have never met a person with Asperger's, or just chalked them up to that "annoying nerd." Please don't take offense to that...I am sure you are on the defensive right now, as you should be. I am tough on my parents of kids with Asperger's too, but only the ones who are NOT like you. As a professional who specializes in kids with AU, please know that I firmly believe that you are doing a fabulous job and I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it. Ever.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Dana, I do not know enough about Asperger's...but as the father of a child with ADHD I encountered the things you are discussing here. Matt was a 'bad seed'...Matt, would tell new friends he was an alien so they would leave him alone...
I can tell you that we had more assistance from the schools than you are getting...and that was a blessing.

Your school should be ashamed at their handling of this..you keep on fighting for him...every day, every night...

I wish I were closer to be more supportive.

OH and as to Sunday's Secret...thinking you and Cam were coming last september made me so happy...learning circumstances caused you not to, made me very sad

Jay said...

I really know nothing about ADHD and Asperger's. I do know that there were a couple of kids I went to school with who I'm pretty sure would have been diagnosed with either of those today. The way my first grade teacher dealt with one of the boys was to bring a refrigerator box to school and put him and his desk in it. Then she cut a window out the front of it so he could see the board. Looking back on that I'm thinking it was probably the wrong approach. ;-)

Me said...

I think Cam needs a male, a black male mentor. And you are too close to the situation and I can guarantee you it will ruin your relationship with your son. Your relationship should not be about being the school policy. I've been there done that and it pains me to know that all these years later so little has changed in the school system. Leaving him in that school environment is likely damaging him more than just about anything so if there is anyway at all to get him in another school, a 2E school, please do so.

Remember that program my kiddo was in? He told me the other day it was a dumping ground and it turned into the island of the misfit toys. That is NOT what you want for Cam.
His issues cannot be accomodated away which is why in my opinion an IEP doesn't work. He needs a 504 so he can learn to work around his issues instead of trying to change things that cannot be changed. As his brain matures some things will get better and he'll also understand himself better but they will never truly go away.

Maggie said...

This is a wonderful post and I hope people STFU and actually try to understand after reading this. How hard is it to listen without judging?

Dana said...

Gina, I believe part of the motivation of some of those comments was an attempt to tear me down - to try to make me look bad. There is, unfortunately, a history of that with a very few of my readers. I am by no means perfect in how I deal with Cam, anymore than any parent is perfect in parenting, but I do try to do better when I learn how to do better.

Bond, I do understand the school's frustration, but I also know they are making things worse. I don't know if it's ignorance or maliciousness, but I'd like to believe it's the former.

And thank you for the nice comment on our planned September visit. Not everyone feels the way you and Nancy do!

Jay, don't tell anyone, but Cam has a refrigerator box in his room ... with a door AND a window in it. He likes to escape there sometimes. It might just be that your first grade teacher made that boy very happy :)

Dana said...

dlk24, I'm working on a mentoring relationship through the church, but it's slim pickings. Hopefully by fall he'll have one.

In brief discussions with the neuropsych today, she mentioned both 2e programming and Montessori programming - both of which she feels would be excellent options for Cam. She is willing to advocate for Cam's educational placement, including the insistence hat he not be placed in the ED/BD program the school seems to want him in.

She is also supportive of a 504 if the school is not willing to give Cam the additional services he might need (the only reason for him to have an IEP)

Maggie, there will always be those people who believe they know better than everyone else. I was married to one of those people for 4 years and now I've gotten a few of them on the blog. I hope they'll change, but I'm not very hopeful they'll change.

Little T said...

I would not even engage the naysayers. If you decide to move closer to my girl, Gina and I, you already have 2 friends in the area! Just sayin'...

P.S. We do have some super fantastic schools.

Karen said...

I was not intending to be ignorant or Insulting by saying that ADHD and other diagnosis are over used these days. That is just my opinion. I think it has a lot to do with the CYA approach to medicine and education. Also, I didn't realize advocates were not made available to people who could not afford to retain private services. I assumed there was something akin to public defender services for kids is in need.

Anonymous said...

i too have no experience with aspergers. but i know of many families that homeschool their kiddos that don't fit into the public school's cookie cutters.

haven't read further back into your blog to know if it's ever been considered, and i'm not one to say it's the way to go. just mentioning it in case it's brainstorm fodder for solutions that work for you and cam.

two thumbs up on trying to see the forest for the trees!