25 March 2010

Random Dozen

~*~*~


1. What is your favorite sign of Spring?

Leaves ... big, green leaves! Most of the trees in northern Illinois are deciduous. We look at bare, brown branches for about 6 months out of the year. I get so excited when I start to see green again!

In case you are wondering ... no ... there is no green yet.


2. Did you remember to spring forward on March 14? If not, how did it impact your day?

I did, and I hated having to do it! I really wish we'd do away with Daylight savings time, especially now that we are only on "standard" time 4 months out of the year. The time change does little more than wreck havoc on my sleep schedule for the first few weeks.

3. If soil, time, talent and climate were no problem, what vegetable would you plant in a garden this year?

Am I supposed to pick just one? I'd like to grow an entire garden salad! I'd start with the greens: arugula, mizuna, tat soi, frisee, oakleaf, red chard, radicchio, mustard greens, and radicchio. Then I'd throw in some radishes, Vidalia onions, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. Oh! And some sugar snap peas!

4. If soil, time, talent and climate were no problem, what fruit would you plant?

Apples, lots and lots of apples. Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Figi, Gala, Granny Smith and Honey Crisp

5. What is your least favorite insect?

I'm not a fan of anything with more than six legs which, by definition, indicates I don't mind insects but have an issue with arthropods - especially spiders, centipedes and silverfish!

Did I get a little too geeky with that answer?

6. March 22 was World Water Day. To celebrate, here are some water questions. Do you drink bottled water? If so, what brand?

I do not drink bottle water, however I will buy it on occasion if I know I have a water drinker coming to visit, and then I usually buy the store/least expensive brand.

7. Have you ever been somewhere that it was not safe to drink the local water? If so, how did you handle that?

There have been several times when I've lived somewhere in the US that had a "Boil Order" in place in which case I boiled the water! There were also a few times while in the Army that I Was somewhere that potable water was not available so we used our handy-dandy water purification kits on whatever water we could find. And no, I can't tell you where those places were or I'd have to kill you!

8. How many glasses of water do you drink per day?

About 2-gallons ... flavored with dark roasted coffee beans *grin*

9. March 24 is the birthday of Harry Houdini. Have you ever watched a professional magic show?

*thinking* *thinking* You know? I don't think I ever have.

10. Have you ever been a participant in a professional magic show (up on stage!)?

That would be a no!

11. March 24 is also the birthday of Steve McQueen and Clyde Barrow. Do you like Westerns or gangster movies? If so, what is your favorite?

I am definitely not a fan of Westerns, which I blame on my father who insisted they were the only "good" movies. I do like a good Gangster movie though; Pulp Fiction, Once upon a time in America, and Scarface are all favorites.

12. (Really random) What U.S. state that you've never visited would you like to visit someday?

There are several, but I think I'd chose Maine first!

~*~*~

3 comments:

Jay said...

Beer is mostly water, right?

Westerns are cool and I'm a big fan of 'em. But, gangster movies freaking rule! ;-)

Gina said...

Your talk of apples makes me want a fuji apple now!

we're doomed said...

Pulp Fiction! I think this is one of the all time greatest movies ever made. It should be on any 100 greatest movies list.