10 November 2008

Honoring All Who Served

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while might remember my Veteran's Day Rant last year. This year I am taking the day off - UNPAID - it irritates the shit out of me.

This holiday - once called Armistice Day and celebrated at the 11th hour, on the 11th day of the 11th month - honors all Veterans. This year marks the 90th anniversary of Veteran's Day.

I know that many of my readers believe we've never had any business in Iraq - that this particular war has been a needless expense - both in U.S. dollars and in lives lost. I ask that on this day, rather than using it as a symbolic platform to spew hatred towards the current political regime, you instead say only two words - THANK YOU!

You see, some veterans bear visible signs of their service: an amputated limb, a series of scars, a certain look in their eye, but other than in parades - so few and far between any longer - the men and women who have kept America safe have no badge or emblem. You can't tell who is a veteran just by looking at them.

That young man flipping burgers at McDonald's? He might very well have given two years of his life in Iraq, hoping to keep terrorists in their own country rather than having them fight their war in ours.

The older gentleman who greets you at WalMart? He may have been involved in liberating the Nazi death camps.

That young woman who draws your blood at doctor's office? She might very well have mended wounded soldiers during Desert Storm.

What all veterans have in common is that they have offered some of their life's most vital years in the service of this country. They have often sacrificed their ambitions, and those of their family members, so that others would not have to sacrifice theirs. They are ordinary, but extraordinary, people.

For just one day, please set aside your political agenda and instead show gratitude. Just stop for a moment and say, "Thank You." Not, "Thank you but ...", just plain "Thank You!" That's all most of us want, and in most cases it means far more to us than any medal or award we might have received. We just want to know that you realize the value of what we've given, and continue to give, to this great country.

To those who, like me, have served this great nation - Thank You!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TMI Tuesday will return next week. This is far more important.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

39 comments:

- said...

I absolutely support, agree & love that you're posting this.

And thank *YOU* very much.

:)

Lu' said...

Thank you *

Hubman said...

From one AMEDD soldier to another- thank you!

Anndi said...

Thank you Dana. I too am staying home from work - unpaid - today and keeping my daughter home from school. I'd love to spend it with my dad (a WWII vet) but since Chicklet is battling germies I don't want to take her and risk giving it to the frailest of our veterans. I'll be saying thank you over the phone and we'll bring them some goodies next weekend.

People fail to realize you can support the soldier no matter how you feel about the war.

My thanks also go out to the families... those who wait for their loved one to come home and those who will remaian forever broken.

***HUGS***

Deech said...

I had no idea you had served our country. I guess I wasn't around last year.

I have never fought for our country the way you and other service people have.

I wish to Thank you and remind you that I owe you and all those who have served, my freedom!

Ken said...

Thanks to all who have served and to those who serve now.

Richard said...

Well said Dana. Thank you.

Schmoop said...

Here's to you, my oldest sister, and all the others. Cheers!!

Granny Nanny said...

Very well stated! Thank You!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Thank you Dana and all who have served or are serving!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your sevice. You have done & experienced more than most people in a entire lifetime.
Hoo-ah!

buffalodick said...

To you: Well said.
To Them: Well Done!

M said...

Very, very good post!

Jormengrund said...

Another breath of fresh air in a world of criticism.

Well said Dana, and I mirror the sympathy.

I only wish that I could afford to take the time off!

"Teach a child the way to act while they are young, and they will appreciate you for it when they are older"

Anonymous said...

Well said Dana. God Bless them all.

Karl said...

Good Morning Dana,

Great post, Thanks.

Dana said...

I Smile, I think the support is critical - especially now that we have a President-elect in place who plans on changing our war status.

Lu, Thank you for your post today!

Hubman, the oh-so-humble one! You know if it isn't for the REMF's, those on the front lines have no hope for success. Thank you!

Dana said...

Anndi, the families sacrafice a great deal - maybe even more so than the service member.

Flingfox, I believe that everyone has the opportunity to serve their country through some means, there are just few who actually do.

Micky, especially those who continue to serve!

Jay said...

Excellent post Dana.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Dana...Thank you for your service to our great country

This is a wonderful post and you should be proud of it.

May your day be wonderful

Vixen said...

Very well said.

Thank you! xo

Biscuit said...

Thank you to you and all of the men and women who have served, or are serving our country.

Regarding your previous post, I would feel compelled to confront the other parents, as well.

Another Suburban Mom said...

Thank you for your message, and your service!

Dana said...

Richard, it needs to be said - every day!

Matt-Man, there you go! And even you kind of honored Veteran's Day *wink*

Granny Nanny, thank you!

Dana said...

RLL, those who continue to serve need a few prayers too!

Kannon7, and my time in the military is right up there with the things I am most proud of.

Buff, Yes! Well Done!

Dana said...

M, thank you! Those that come from the heart are always easier.

Jormengrund, I can't really afford it, but I am a woman of principles.

SoxYes54, thank you!

Dana said...

Karl, thanks!

Jay, for my excellent readers!

Bond, pride runs deep!

Dana said...

Vixen, it's always good to remember those who continue to insure the freedoms we all enjoy.

TallGuy, thank you!

Biscuit, they all work hard to keep us from having to be concerned with our safety.

Unknown said...

dana...thank you for your service and thank you for this outstanding post!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Dana said...

ASM, it's family support like yours that is so critical to the mission success. You, too, deserve a huge thanks!

AirmanMom, both were a pleasure!

g-man said...

We have a tradition in my office, since we rarely get Veteran's Day off, to make a point to thank those of us who have served.

So thank you Dana for your service.

And an extended Thank You to all those who have and are serving.

we're doomed said...

WELL SAID!! Dana, thank you for your service to our country and to the free Men and women of America and the World.

we're doomed said...

WELL SAID!! Dana, thank you for your service to our country and to the free Men and women of America and the World.

Average Chick said...

I've cried more than once today thinking about all of the people I know who have served and could have lost. It is something that I don't think I could do and admire those who do/did.

Thank you Dana for your service!

****HUG****

rage said...

Happy Veteran's Day to all!

My dad is a Veteran as well and to him, to you, to all veterans I say a heartfelt Thank you~

Moosekahl said...

Thank you for your service! And for the "army" lessons you have been giving me. I'm sure I'll have more; you continue to serve your country well!

captain corky said...

Thank you! Great post and I agree with everything you said.

As American as Apple Pie said...

I don't agree with the war, but that is politcal. I do support our troops who've risked their lives and given of their lives to fight for what they believe in. So, THANK YOU, for your efforts.

Oh, love the hair!

katherine. said...

Thank You Dana