12 November 2007

A Veteran's Day Rant


This holiday, which was actually yesterday, irritates me, but likely not for the reasons any of you might think. You see, I *am* a veteran. I served 5 years in the U.S. Army and I am somewhat (OK, completely) a military snob. You see, I believe only those who have served, and been honorably discharged, should have this holiday off with pay. Not only that, but I believe EVERY employer should be required to give this day off - WITH PAY - to any employee who can show that they served in the military and were honorably discharged.

I left the military in 1995 and since that date I have NEVER gotten Veteran's Day as a paid holiday, yet my postal carrier, my bank teller and my son's school teachers (all of whom are likely not veteran's) receive the day off with pay. Why is that? Does anyone really believe these employees are honoring veterans in any manner (and no, taking advantage of the sales at the mall does not count)??
Yes, I do feel strongly on this, but I gave 5 years of service to my country to maintain the right to spew my opinion.

8 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Excellent idea! Veterans are the ones who have earned that day off. They and YOU should be getting it!

Leighann said...

Thank you Dana!

Just Me said...

Totally agree Dana!

Amy said...

DH was off yesterday, but he works for a DOD contracting company, where 99.9% of the employees are veterans. He was telling me that one of the other contracting companies they work with did NOT give Veteran's Day as a paid holiday, even though most of their employees are also veterans.

g-man said...

We had the same discussion at work during our obligatory mutual "Thanks for serving" roundtable. (I am the only Army, there are several Navy and Air Force.)

Just your everyday average married momma... said...

Well Chad had to work yesterday if that makes you feel any better. Apparently the world still needs power....
but if it is any consolation, he sat at work and thought about you. Okay so maybe he didn't but I sure did..... and thinking of you in uniform got me all, well.... oh dear...

Unknown said...

I agree it is not the Veteran's who get the deserved time off...not a veteran myself but daughter of a Vietnam vet, niece of a vet, and granddaughter of a WWII vet.

Thank you for your service.

I like your blog, will be back to read more often...warning I am a friend of Leighann's. ;o)

MrRyanO said...

I agree and am proud that there are so many people like you who have served! Thank You!