17 November 2007

Is It Cheating?

What Constitutes Cheating?

Seems odd that this has been on my mind, but it has. Ten years ago, I wouldn't have had a philosophical decision with myself on cheating, I'd have just gone out and done it. Age, wisdom, bad decisions experience, have brought me to a place where I ask more questions before acting.

For example, is it even realistic to think my husband should be all things to me at all times? Should he really be able to meet all of my physical and emotional needs all of the time? I don't think so - in fact, I am certain that I don't meet all of his physical and emotional needs all of the time.

Sometimes the cheating line is pretty damn clear - having sex (not the Clinton definition) with another man, without hubby's knowledge, is definitely cheating. But sometimes the line gets really blurry. What about sex with a woman without hubby's knowledge? Completely different type of emotional and physical need being met there - is it cheating? What about flirting (male or female) with a grope thrown in for good measure? What if it is confined to the cyber world but includes hard core intimate photos and videos being exchanged - is it cheating?

I suppose I could stand in hubby's shoes - would any of the above bother me if it were what he was doing? Honestly, not at all as long as he's not endangering my health or the well-being of the household or the kids. Of course, I'd prefer to know about it so that I could watch feel a part of the decision, but it's just sex - right??

7 comments:

Leighann said...

Okay I started typing out my response but it was getting WAY long for a "comment". So I think I'll elaborate in a blog post of my own! LOL

MrRyanO said...

My two cents...

It's cheating if the other person thinks its cheating. Different people draw different lines in the sand.

Innocent flirting is my line.

I do know people with more open relationships, but its not for me.

Jay said...

uh no its not!

marriage is a commitment.. or something like that

i know for sure that i wouldnt cheat on my wife! unless of course its with her sister....jk!

Anonymous said...

Wait, you're sending someone nudie pics and it's not me?! I swear, I better be BCC'd in the future, dammit!

Oh and yea, it's totally cheating if you have to attempt to convince yourself otherwise.

Dana said...

Umm ... yea ... Leighann, did I touch a nerve? *wink*

RockDog, I see your point - it really isn't about what *I* think, is it??

Jay Cam, stay away from your SIL!

Tali, trust me, if I decide to send nudie pics/videos You'll be on the "To" line, not the Bcc line!

Leighann said...

LOL I don't really think you touched a nerve, because as we discussed, I used to think the same thing as you posted. Sex was just sex. I just think it's funny that now I'm classified as UPTIGHT! ;)

Real Live Lesbian said...

I think that's something that's defined within your relationship. And Tali's right in my opinion...if you have to convince yourself...it is.