19 November 2007

Is It Cheating? (Part 2)

For the record, I am NOT having a torrid on-line love affair with some cyber hunk/hottie. There has been no groping and no nuddie pics have been exchanged through email (although I *do* owe RLL a photo of her beautiful artwork proudly displayed). That being said, I'd be lying if I said I haven't fantasized about it.

I like to think that one of the things that happens as I get older is that I learn from past mistakes. I don't mind making mistakes, but I really don't like making the same mistake again and again. Cheating, and the damage that can result, is a lesson I learned long ago - but it's still been on my mind.

I stand by my position that it is unrealistic to think my husband should be all things to me at all times. He can't possibly meet all of my physical and emotional needs all of the time. Now, how (or if) I choose to fill those gaps is really what this is all about. In my world, it's not the physical act of sex that defines cheating, but rather the secrecy behind it all. The act of sex does not require, nor result in, intimacy - intimacy is something far removed from sex. Can they happen in the same moment? Absolutely! Must they? I don't think so, and I don't think it's a *bad* thing when they don't.

Jaded? Cynical?? Again, I don't think so, I think I am just realistic. According to current infidelity statistics up to 70% of men and 40% of women are involved in extramarital affair. No, this isn't meant to be an accusation that everyone will cheat, but rather acknowledgement that it happens more than many of us realize (or want to admit). Maybe honesty is still the best policy ...

5 comments:

MrRyanO said...

"Now, how (or if) I choose to fill those gaps is really what this is all about."

Let me be the first to giggle like a school girl about this line...I'm so juvenile! LOL!

Gaps...LOL

Teeheeheehee!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Giggling at Rockdog.

I agree..honesty is best.

You'll be getting your photo op right after Thanksgiving. They're all packed up and ready to go to the post office. Just have to get my ass down there!

Unknown said...

Honesty is always the best policy in my opinion.
I think you have your thoughts in a good place and you need to do what you need to do.

Dana said...

RockDog, you make me giggle like a school girl!

RLL, I'll make sure to tell hubby all about the pic - in fact, I might even have him take it! He might like that.

captain corky said...

How would you like to try on a Captain Corky?

Please don't tell my wife I just asked you that. ;)