30 November 2007

Unemployment

Let me start this post with a *WARNING* What I am about to say will likely offend some of you. In fact, it is so un-PC I'm certain someone will accuse me of being racist. For the record, I'm not, but this post will have many of you wondering.

As you know, I was let go from my job on November 2nd. I filed for unemployment benefits. This will be the first time in my 28 year work history that I have EVER collected unemployment (yes, I am very thankful for that). So, there is this whole waiting week issue with collecting unemployment - you are required to have one waiting week for each benefit year where you are not paid any benefits. This I knew. This I expected.

I call in to certify for benefits on the 19th of November as my instructional letter indicated. I get through the whole, irritating automated menu, hear a message indicating I have reached the end of my benefit year (I filed for unemployment benefits last November, but never needed to certify/collect them as I immediately found employment), and will receive additional information in the mail for my next benefit year. OK, not a problem.

I call in to certify for benefits on the 26th of November as the follow-up instructional letter indicated. Again, I go through the whole, irritating automated menu to get my confirmation message. Yesterday I receive a check - for ONE WEEK of benefits. What?? I've been unemployed for THREE weeks, why do I have two waiting weeks without benefits? Must call my local office to get that information ... and here is where the ranting starts!

When calling any State Government office in the United States, I should NOT have to "press 1 for English." The default should be English and anyone not speaking English should need to "press 1" for their native language. Through yet another automated menu I go, pressing 2, then 3, then 2 again, until I finally reach a live body. Guess what?? English is CLEARLY not this person's native language. Not only am I having difficulty understanding them, but they are obviously having difficulty understanding me - and English is my native language.

Now, don't get me wrong, I heart America!! The melting pot is what brought my family here and I am proud to live in a country as diverse as this one. As you all know, I gave up 5 years to the U.S. Army to insure this country remained a melting pot. But here's the deal, my ancestors were required to assimilate in to the American culture. They could not get a job until they spoke fluent English. They didn't expect everyone to accommodate them and their language, but rather did their best to quickly learn the cultural norms and language of America. Why is it that when I call a State Government agency, I get a "customer service" person whom I can't understand and who can't understand me? Not only that, but why am I getting SEVERE attitude (and refusal) when I ask (very politely) "Would it be possible for me to speak with someone else as I am having a difficult time understanding your explanation?"

I was told, "No! You can't speak to anyone else. They will just tell you the same thing." What?? You are supposed to be serving ME! These are MY benefits that I have worked 28 years for and you are going to tell me I can't talk to someone who I can understand? This was one of those times where the person I was speaking with just kept saying the same thing, repeatedly, only louder each time, as if I was going to somehow understand them if they screamed at me.

ARGH! It's humiliating enough to have to collect unemployment - really - but can I be treated with a little, tiny bit of dignity and respect? Is that too much to ask? And can I please speak to someone who speaks my native language fluently since you are bending over backwards to accommodate those that don't speak English?? Please??

Now I get to file an appeal for the one week of "missing" benefits. Do you suppose I'll get to meet with someone who can communicate effectively - in ENGLISH??

11 comments:

MrRyanO said...

I hear where you are coming from and it is my belief that you will see changes to issues such as this in the next few years.

This is sure to be a hot issue in the coming Presidential election. I would encourage everyone to vote for the person who best represents your beliefs.

Leighann said...

I responded via e-mail! :)

g-man said...

That sucks. I had to file many moons ago when the company went bankrupt. The process sucks. I can see your point, about speaking, and I am willing to bet that if you spoke another language and asked to speak with someone else they would have bent over backwards.

Seems like everyone is so worried about possibly offending a minority that the majority gets overlooked.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Yep, I agree with all of ya'll. And yes, if you were Italian, they'd find someone else to help you.

Dana said...

RockDog - Yep! I do believe this issue falls along the immigration concerns and will definately be a hot topic during the presidential campaign/election. FWIW, my village (town) was the first in Illinois to make English the official language of the village government.

Leighann, nice pic! I heart John Wayne.

G-Man, let me say Yep! again ... There is this thing called balance and this country seems to have lost it in recent years.

RLL, I may just have to consult with an Italian before attending the appeal hearing. This is Chicago afterall.

captain corky said...

"Do you suppose I'll get to meet with someone who can communicate effectively - in ENGLISH??"

I'm a betting man, and I wouldn't touch that action with a 39 and half foot pole.

Jay said...

I agree that this will be a hot topic in the election but I disagree that anything will change. I'm pretty sure that the candidates will simply pander to whatever the crowd in front of them believes and then do nothing once in office. I'm talking both parties here. I can't stand it when people claim one party actually cares and the other doesn't. Neither of them do.

That non-English speaking person wasn't sitting in a call center in India was he? Not only are corporations doing that, but even some cities and states are trying to do that too!

Elisa said...

I hate that, too!!! Makes me so mad when you get someone that doesn't even speak English.

Dana said...

CPT Corky, I'm afraid you are right.

Jay, unfortunately I share some of your cynicism. I expect much talk, but little action on this topic from our political leaders.

Just Me said...

Yep. I agree. Where has all the english speaking customer service gone to? It drives me crazy.

I do hope you get the help you need getting your unemployment started.

Unknown said...

Seriously can sympathize with you.
Like the blog, will be more regular in my reading now that NaNoWriMo is over.