24 November 2007

American Gangster

I am a huge fan of documentaries, biographies and any movie based on a true story - this movie was no exception.

Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe are amazing as Frank Lucas and Richie Roberts - they bring this story to life and keep a 2 hour 40 minute movie from having a single boring moment. This "success" story of a cult figure from the streets of 1970s Harlem is a not-so-gentle reminder that there is a price to pay for every decision we make in life. I watched the HBO documentary, The Making of American Gangster, prior to seeing the film and would recommend it as a solid foundation for full enjoyment of the movie if you are not familiar with the Frank Lucas story.

I did take my son (11) to this R rated movie (violence, pervasive drug content and language, nudity and sexuality) and although there was really nothing I was concerned about him seeing, the movie did not keep his attention for long. I was hoping he'd stay engaged as there really were some valuable life-lessons in this film, but instead, he seemed to have get quite bored with all of the character development necessary to make this film a success.

My rating? Definitely worth the price of admission, and a bucket of popcorn, but leave the kids at home!

1 comment:

captain corky said...

I really want to see it. I think I'm gonna have to wait till it comes out on DVD though. That's pretty much the story of my life these days. ;)