09 November 2007

Week One

I've made it through week one of unemployment and you want to know a secret?? I am LOVING it! How terrible is that? Here's the deal though. For the past 4 months, DH and I have both been working 12-hour days (including commuting time). There seems to be no time to take care of the "normal," daily stuff, and since the majority of it is put on my shoulders, I'm the one that feels the stress.

So, this week I've had dinner ready when DH gets home (he used to have the dinner duties as he was home before me), the house is reasonably clean, laundry is caught up, the basement and front doors no longer squeak, the light switch in the master bath no longer shorts out, Cam's homework has been completed every day before dinner AND my resume is updated! I feel FABULOUS!!

At this point, I can see that our home runs far more smoothly when I am home. Everyone seems to be more relaxed and everyone has a better attitude. Guess what? Assuming things continue to go this well, I don't want to go back to work any time soon! I never thought I would say that - my self worth has always been tied to my employment - but I'm discovering that my family is far more important than my professional growth.

I did get my unemployment insurance information in the mail yesterday. I will receive $473/week for 26 weeks. This isn't a HUGE difference from my regular take-home pay, and it will be extremely easy to save the difference between the two just in transportation costs. I'm hoping to find some type of part-time or freelance work rather than the 9-5 grind I've been doing. The problem? I've got to convince DH this is not only a great idea, but one that is financially sound.

If any of you faithful readers have any RELIABLE sources for freelance/WAH positions, please leave me a comment. Of course I've googled both and had thousands of hits, but I am very skeptical when it comes to online resources.

3 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Oh man that sounds WONDERFUL! Good luck on the freelance stuff. Make it work!

MrRyanO said...

Things also run much smoother in our house when my wife takes on the electrical work...

Good luck on the search :)

Just your everyday average married momma... said...

How about going to school for Medical transcription and then do that from home? I have a friend who quit nannying and did the school thing (it was short, like 2-3 months that was it) and then she now makes about $600 per week doing the transcription work from home (she works contract for a guy and then also has a doctor freelance on her own too). She loves it. I was thinking about doing it, but the gal that had the school she went to here that offered a great cost break/incentive is no longer full time school and only has training a few times a year so I'm waiting for that. Might be something to look into for ya.... I dunno.....
Or you could take up Leighs new career of course BUAHAHAHAHAH