03 November 2008

All I Really Need To Know I Learned Through Blogging

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Robert Fulghum's All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten. I took a little artistic liberty with Fulghum's writings and came to the conclusion that much the same can be said about blogging ...


All That I really Need To Know I've Learned Through Blogging

  • Comment equally. Comment on the good, the bad and the ugly. People want to know that you are there even when they aren't where they'd like to be in life.
  • Words are powerful. They can bring a smile to a blogger's face, or a tear to their eye. They can be encouraging and helpful, or disparaging and hurtful. Choose your words carefully.
  • Clean up your own mess. If you falter - if you fail - own up to it, make amends and move forward. Those who truly care will forgive.
  • Don't take things that aren't yours. If you see it on another blog, be sure to give credit to the blog from which you came, and let the blogger know. People take great pride in their work.
  • Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody. Make it public if it was a public hurt, private if it was not.
  • HNT is good for you. Whether you you play emotionally half-nekkid, physically half-nekkid, of spiritually half-nekkid, it's good to get half-nekkid once in a while.
  • Live a balanced blogging life. Don't let blogging become your only interaction with people.
  • Take a break. Sometimes it is important to shift focus, just be courteous enough to let your readers know.
  • Remember that the blogosphere is very much like the real world. You need to watch out for speeding cars and falling objects.
  • Trust is a valuable commodity. Although most bloggers are wonderful people, there are a few snake-oil sales people out there too. Be careful whom (or is it who?) you bargain with!
  • Do what you say, and say what you do! On a blog, and in your comments, your word is golden - keep it highly polished.
  • There is a person behind the blog. Bloggers are fragile, vulnerable, real people. They have good days and bad days. They put themselves out there for enjoyment and insight, not for abuse and belittling. If you don't like what you see/read, move on - there are many wonderful blogs and bloggers out there - you are bound to find many that you do like!

As Fulghum states in his final lines of this essay (modified just a wee bit):

And it is still true, no matter how old you are - when you go out into the (cyber) world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

40 comments:

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

All points to take to heart. Thank you.

Lu' said...

I will hold your hand *sigh*

Another Suburban Mom said...

This was great. Thank you.

Dana said...

Ms. I, all points that I need to remind myself of daily. It's sometimes too easy to forget the power of words.

Lu, I could use a hand-holding today. It's been a bit scary lately.

ASM, I'm glad you liked it!

Saucy Wildcat said...

Good stuff! So clever and true!

Anonymous said...

Great post! Especially the part about when you take a break, let us know. I have a few blogs I read that aren't updated and I do worry about the writers.

Love me some HNT though! Thanks so much for turning me onto that. ;)

Dana said...

Saucy, the blogging worly is really no different than the real world, just a bit bigger!

FF, I become quite attached to my blogging friends and worry about them when they disappear.

Michael M. said...

Well said...and I'm certain Mr. Fulghum would agree. :)

Anonymous said...

Great list....In my real life, I just posted something on Facebook, and an acquaintance of mine responded in a very vicious way and then went further by "de-friending" me. So in effect, he attacked my post and then was cowardly in preventing me from responding or contacting him. I can't believe how childish people are. I'm in my late 30s and he's in his late 40s and he's acting like a spoiled child who stole his toy. If he had a problem with me, he could have called, e-mailed, sent me a private note, but instead, he responds in a vile and hateful way and then sneaks out the back door. I should copy your list and send it to him...(with appropriate credit of course)

we're doomed said...

WELL SAID!!!

Dana said...

Michael, simple, simple principles that are sometimes overlooked. There is much truth in the one bad apple analogy!

Ronald, I have always believed that one of the downfalls in the cyber world is that people dehumanize it, and that can be quite painful.

Doomed, thank you! It's always a little more difficult to get up to that high road.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, I really need my words polished more.

Plain and simple.

But, you've posted very good rules to blog by :)

Dangerous Lilly said...

I love this!! All points I hold dear and abide by, I wish that everyone did the same...

Jay said...

"Live a balanced blogging life. Don't let blogging become your only interaction with people."

Oops. Too late. ;-)

Dana said...

Slick, we all know it's not your words you want polished!

Lilly, I try to always live by these rules, but sometimes I let emotions get the best of me. When that happens, I do my best to make amends and move forward.

Jay, you interact with the homeless guy at the library!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Great job! I love this! And I love Fulghum, too! Great writing on both of your parts!

Anonymous said...

Rules to blog by and for we the readers to remember as well...thanks for all you do.

Karen said...

I like those rules. Very well thought out!

tt said...

Bravo sister!! bravo....I wish I had known these things earlier...It gets scarey out there sometimes...

Nolens Volens said...

I love your list so much that I'm going to copy verbatim and...uhm, steal it...no, credit you (yeah, yeah, yeah) for it. Hmm. Yeah I'll give you props for that. LOL

Psst...I *will* give you credit. Just messing with you in case you were wondering. ;)

Dana said...

RLL, thank you! *blushes*

Kannon7, I remind myself of these each time I visit another blogger!

Karen, I don't like to call them rules - just things I've learned through trial and error.

Dana said...

tt, it gets down right terrifying some times!

Nolens Volens, Ha!! Is this where I add in the part about tracking you down and making you pay for your blogging sins??

katherine. said...

I'm stickin' by you out here in the cyber world!

great list...and so so true...

Liz Hill said...

Sugar you are preaching to the choir---and what a lovely message it is;-)

Vixen said...

All great points! I especially loved these two-

***Don't take things that aren't yours. If you see it on another blog, be sure to give credit to the blog from which you came, and let the blogger know. People take great pride in their work.

***There is a person behind the blog. Bloggers are fragile, vulnerable, real people. They have good days and bad days. They put themselves out there for enjoyment and insight, not for abuse and belittling. If you don't like what you see/read, move on - there are many wonderful blogs and bloggers out there - you are bound to find many that you do like!

True, true, TRUE!!! :)

Dana said...

Kat, will you hold my hand too?

Turnbaby, some people have it down - others, not so much. I do my best to hang out with those who do!

Vixen, you are probably the absolute best at acknowledging the work of others. I actually learned about that process by watching you!

Major.Sunshine said...

Amen... absoulately true. As usual, excellent post.

Nicey said...

pretty much bang on there, just be truefull and honest. If you can't do it in a blog, which is why I started when no bugger knows you then you have no chance in 'real' life
Nicey

captain corky said...

Sometimes I make the really big mistake of letting blogging get in the way of my TV watching. But I'll do better in the future. ;)

Jess said...

You're so right on. I have to remember to check them more often and let people know I'm reading and that I care. It's so easy to get caught up in life...

Unknown said...

Dana, I LOVE this! You did an excellent job and it's all so true!

And yea, sometimes I have a hard time with that who and whom stuff.

buffalodick said...

I have only had to apologize to one blogger, and have only deleted one post in 2-1/2 years. My mouth moves quicker than my writings- meaning I think about what I'm writing far more than what I blurt out verbally!

Jormengrund said...

Thanks for the inspiration Dana!

I feel like I've had a couple of near-misses with the speeding cars..

Maybe if I held onto a hand once in a while, I wouldn't get so close, ya think?

Dana said...

TRLFTP, thank you!

Nicey, I know that, for the most part, my blogging courtesies have spilled over into real life, which is a good thing!

Corky, I thought of you the other night as I was watching one of the FIRST episodes of Star Trek!

Dana said...

Jess, I have a few that I read but don't comment on, but there are "other" reasons that happens.

Bina, thank you!

Buff, I think my current irritation may be a direct result of someone who feels they were wronged on my blog. I just wish - if that is the case - that they would speak up. I'd be more than happy to make amends!

Dana said...

Jormengrund, I would say it was either a speeding car, or a falling object, but yes - holding hands is always a good option - someone can then yank you out of the way!

Nolens Volens said...

In a word, Dana..."yes". LOL!

Greg and Sheryl said...

Speaking of the power of words, a recent blog entry of yours inspired an entry of ours we think you might enjoy reading. Please let us know what you think.

The Biracial Revolution

katherine. said...

as long as it is not my gun hand.

JW said...

That is a wonderful, heart-warming piece that brought a real smile to my face. So much so that I'm thinking of linking to it from my blog.

Don't worry, though - if I do, I'll be sure to let you know :)

Thanks for sharing this with us.