17 September 2010

Friday Wrap-Up



~*~*~

Hell of a week this week. I seem to be having a difficult time getting back into the swing of Cam's schedule and its impact on my drinking schedule. It's not like I don't have enough time to do things, I just don't feel like doing what needs to be done when it needs to be done. I'm craving flexibility and spontaneity.

Yeah, I said that! Something is terribly perverted in the universe ...

~*~

Cam had a "Come to Jeebus" moment at school this week. When confronted with overwhelming emotions he did what he does best - attempted to bail. Unfortunately, school policy doesn't allow for escape so he went with his secondary coping mechanism - full on football mode.

When staff attempted to block him from leaving the building, he decided to see if his linebacker skills were in proper working order. Lacking a nose guard or tackle to help him out, 5 staff members took him down ... to the floor.

He was banged up pretty bad. I was devastated when I got the call from the school. And then I was reminded of why I pushed so hard for this placement.

Yes, there were consequences, but the biggest concern was why did his happen. What skills can we teach Cam that will help him cope with the sensory overload. It was a defining moment.

~*~

I'm putting in an application for a new (to me) apartment today. It's a 2-bedroom, similar in size to what Cam and I are in now, but is in a triplex (fewer neighbors), has a garage (I don't) and has a washer dryer hookup in the basement (no more Sunday morning trips to the laundromat)! Best part about it? It's $25 a month less than what I'm paying now.

Cam is not happy. Change is bad. Moving is really bad.

Did I mention this apartment is 4 blocks away from where we are now?

~*~

Are you feeling guilty for a year of sin? Have a craving for a bagel with cream cheese and lox? Tune in to I'm With Stupid Sunday morning, 11:00 AM EDT on Blog Talk Radio. Jay and Matt will be dishing up a little atonement with a side order of ridicule.

You might even hear a live Sunday Secret ... maybe.


~*~*~

10 comments:

Schmoop said...

Yeah, sorry to hear about the Cam incident. Oy. Thanks for the shout out...and the possibility of a live Sunday Secret? That's Hot. Cheers Dana!!

Jay said...

Hope Cam is able to learn from each of these experiences and turn them into positives. Or not have too many more of them.

Thanks for the shout out. That reminds me. We should tell people that they can call in anonymously with their sins. Even disguise their voices. That will make them even more fun!

Raquel's World said...

Hope you get the apartment. Laundry mats suck!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, you might want to sit in a bowl of ice cubes if you see my number come up on the switch board ...

Jay, based on what I've seen the remainder of this week, he is at the very least learning where the boundaries are, and that is good.

Raquel, I'll be visiting a Rent-A-Center in the near future if I do!

Mike said...

Sorry but I had to smile reading about Cam. I never had the nerve to act on the "get me the fuck outa' here" feelings. But not to worry. He'll be beaten into social submission soon.

Have you thought about a 'therapy dog'?

Deech said...

I have similar issues with a couple of mine here at the Asylum. I would just like to make note that what you teach him is half the battle. The other side is what he takes in, and that you have absolutely no control over......

I am having similar battles with two of mine Dana, so all I am saying is I completely understand your dilemma.

Good luck with the move. I am with Cam on this one, moving sucks! However, one has to do what one has to do....

Volly said...

It seems Cam is in a much better place than last year. A similar incident in a conventional school would probably have landed him behind bars and/or on the front page of the paper. Sounds like the people who work there were hired for their common sense. I hope he makes the connection. Also hope the move isn't too big of a booger for either of you.

Karen said...

Glad that Cam is in a place that knows to deal with those issues. As someone above sort of said in a main stream school, he'd probably be hauled out in cuffs. Learning to cope is a one of the best life lessons!

The radio show is not at a good time for me! Sunday mornings are church and CCD. Then brunch and football. I miss out on the fun.

Average Chick said...

Wow about Cam! I'm glad he's in a place that didn't freak out and get all nutty. Sometimes that's what a guy needs to help make decisions. I really hope you get the nice new digs! I wish I had a washer/dryer for ya!

~Ryan said...

Wow, quite the week. I faced similar experiences my my wee ones. They just haven't been coping with changes well this September. I wish you well and hope that positives do come from all of these tough times. :)

Cheers! Keurig for everyone!