07 September 2010

Milestones

~*~*~

There have been a few of them lately. Not momentous life events, but rather small things with significant meaning.

As of last Thursday, I made my final payment on an employee loan - THE employee loan - the one that I took out to pay for the deposit on the apartment Cam and I moved into 10 months ago.

The $25 per week deduction didn't have a huge impact on my finances, but it was something that reminded me I hadn't quite accomplished our move yet.

Last night, for the first time in two-ish years, I slept in a real bed.

I can't remember when it was that I started sleeping on the futon in the "guest" bedroom when I was still with husband (a year+ would be a good estimate), but when Cam and I moved out there was only one bed to be had, and it belonged to Cam.

Since moving to the apartment, my nights have been spent on the sofa or the futon. Not a big deal - I can sleep anywhere (good Army training) but I haven't had a really good night's sleep for quite some time.

Cam begged to have the futon put in his room. He wanted the option of having a "sofa" in his room when his friends stop by. Yesterday we made the move ... after I bribed him, telling him his room had to be clean in order to make the switch. It worked!


Sure, the bedding is of the WalMart, college dorm clearance variety, but it's a step up from the sleeping bag I've been using since Cam and I moved and boy, did I sleep well last night!

This afternoon I'll be dropping off my first "publicly" displayed photo. I stopped off at the photo kiosk at my local market (they use Kodak paper) and had an 8 x 10 print made of my Moment in Time photo. Another trip to WalMart (I was there THREE times this weekend) for a pre-matted frame and TA-DAA!!


I will be the first to admit that this past 10 months has seldom gone the way I hoped it would. I wanted dramatic, consistent change for the better. I got struggles, BIG struggles, and financial and emotional turmoil. What I thought would be a temporary move - 6 months tops - has turned in to what will likely be a permanent relocation.

There are times when I get really down on myself - when I cannot seem to acknowledge my success with a single thing - but that's because I'm looking for the big, dramatic change when in fact, it's been a lot of little changes that will one day put me EXACTLY where I want to be - me again!

~*~*~

14 comments:

Raquel's World said...

Hallelujah for a good nights sleep. There is nothing like the comfort of your bed. My mattress is old and worn, so much so that I have to sleep the short way on it with my feet hanging off. Comfortable right? I long for the day when a new bed is in the budget! Glad you got off the futon! That in itself is quite the accomplishment.

Mike said...

"me again!"

Being yourself is a good place to be.

Jay said...

Whether it's little things or big things it's always nice to have things go well.

Apparently his comment was brought to you by the word "things."

boo said...

*hugs*

Oh, Dana! I'm proud of you. I have watched you grow so much since we first "met". It makes my heart sing to hear that you are getting to that better place. Never forget to embrace yourself. You are a strong, beautiful, funny woman whom I adore. Love you, lady. ^_^

we're doomed said...

One day at a time, one day at a time!

kristi said...

There is nothing like a good night's sleep. Glad you are feeling better and doing better!!

Jeff B said...

I think you'll find that all of these little changes will one day present them self as one big overall change.

Like you, I often wish there was a magic wand to wave over certain situations to instantly zap them into the new and improved version. So far I haven't found that wand.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Good for you - recognizing the little things that add up to big positive change! :-)

Another Suburban Mom said...

I am so glad that you are having positive milestones. I also love your photo!

Schmoop said...

Yay for YOU!! Cheers Dana!!

Anonymous said...

You've come a long way. Baby steps, big steps, they all contribute to the journey. Never stop!

Anonymous said...

Oh. Yay for Kodak paper! While I no longer work for them (our division was sold, lock, stock & barrel), I do have friends & relatives there still.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

It is the little things that can cause us to smile with pleasure.

So glad there is a smile on your face now.

Maggie said...

Congrats on your milestones! The bed looks good to me. :-)