04 September 2010

Friday Wrap-Up (Saturday Edition)


~*~*~

It is always a busy time in accounting land at the end/beginning of the month, but this week felt like year end.

In addition to my "normal" chaos, there was a significant issue with my cash book account balancing to my cash general ledger account (for you non-accounting folks, this is similar to when your checkbook doesn't match what the bank says you have in your account) ... to the tune of about $1M.

Wednesday morning, the CFO and controller called me into a meeting to address the situation. With a computer linked to a big screen, and a white board the size of a semi truck, we dove in.

Now understand, I thought this was my fault, and I had let it go far too long (since the beginning of the year). I kept thinking I was fixing it and yet the discrepancy kept getting bigger and bigger. I prepared myself for the ass-chewing I knew I deserved. It was bad enough that I clearly had no idea what I was doing, but to neglect the issue for EIGHT MONTHS was quite irresponsible.

Come to find out, I was doing the right things. The controller - in an attempt to circumnavigate an ongoing problem with my AZ bookkeeper - made a change to the way the general ledger accounts were mapped ... and neglected to tell anyone.

Seven hours (and no lunch or bathroom breaks) later, it became clear that each time I made an entry through cash book, the money was going into the wrong general ledger account.

Ummmm ... yeah ...

~*~

Cam hates his new school ... I don't ...

I am confident that Cam is getting fair and equal treatment this year - that his perception of everyone picking on him is skewed. I continue to reinforce that he is responsible for his actions and his length of stay at the therapeutic day school. He can either cooperate, do what is needed, and move on, or he can dig in his heels and make his life extremely difficult (his current M.O.).

What is different this year is that the school and I are on the same page. They are trying to get him out of his therapeutic day school placement, but in this case, that action means Cam is being successful - not that he is failing - and that is a good thing.

I have no doubt we are in for a rough ride, but I have vowed to give myself credit for doing the right things (offering a place to study, help with homework, etc.) and allowing Cam the choice (and consequences) to succeed or fail.

I've got four years to help him make a positive difference in his life.

~*~


If you're not too hung-over, repenting your sins at church too busy on Sunday morning (11:00 AM EDT), tune in to Show #2 of "I'm With Stupid" - Jayman and Matt-Man's escapade into the world of Blog Talk Radio.

You never know what you might get ... sometimes there is even a live stream. Noooo ... not via webcam, but via Matt-Man's bathroom visits!

~*~*~

6 comments:

we're doomed said...

There is nothing wrong with tough love for your kid(s). Please don't ruin your reputation by hanging around those two gentleman you are listening to on Sunday. QCTM

Gina said...

Your blurb about Cam is really interesting to me. I have started including "understanding the difference between reality and perception" on the goals of my kids with Aspergers.

Now if I can just figure out how to teach them that, I'll be a billionaire...

Schmoop said...

Hee Hee. Jay vetoed me doing the live stream forever more. I think we need to start a petition drive asking for the return of my on air whizzin'. Cheers Dana!!

nitebyrd said...

What you are doing with Cam is definitely the right thing. You care/love him enough to be his parent. Seems too many parents want to be their kids "friends". That usually doesn't work very well. I think Cam is going to thank you one day in the future.

Glad the accounting stuff worked out. Jeez! that must have scared the hell out of you and then made you very angry!

Volly said...

You know what the real challenge is? Conveying what we parents know: That any decision you make in any given 10 seconds can have repercussions that last for the next 10 minutes, 10 days, or 10 years. We look back over our own pasts and cringe at those instances when we disregarded this simple truth, and then we get to cringe all over again when we see our beloved kids doing the same types of things. Best of luck!

Maggie said...

Cam will get there. It seems like this new situation is better suited to set him up to succeed rather than fail. He'll figure that out soon enough.