12 June 2010

Friday Wrap-Up (Saturday Edition)



~*~*~

Summer break is officially in full swing! One of the residual side effects of the Cam and "Rhonda" break-up has been that Cam's circle of friends has changed ... for the better! Although I continue my constant vigilance, I'm really hoping this summer has a much different outcome than last summer *crosses fingers*

~*~

Now that school is out - and Cam actually passed the 8th grade (by the hair of his chinny-chin-chin) - I'm planting the seed on his attendance at the Therapeutic Day School this fall. His reaction has been cautiously receptive.

One of the discussions Cam and I recently had went something like this ...

ME: I really think you just didn't give a shit (and yes, I did say that) about school because you were convinced school didn't give a shit about you.

CAM: EXACTLY!!

I really do believe that if Cam has the opportunity to feel that people care about him, his motivation to please them will drastically improve. I know I've seen a great deal of that since moving us out of "Satan's lair."

~*~

I received the following comment Friday on my Questions and More Questions post from Thursday:

I'm Judd Corizan from the blog Sunday Stealing. Every week we rip a meme off someone's blog. Today we chose yours. We give you full credit and link back to your blog. In the same spirit of this meme, we added 10 more questions of our own! The great thing is that a lot of previous "victims" such as yourself have become regular players! We usually publish the blog between 3 and 6 PM EDT Saturday. We usually get between 50 to 80 people who play and comment on each other's responses. And a lot of our players are previous victims of our theft like you! We hope you play along in the weeks to come! Thank you and have a great day...

Judd
I'm not sure if I should take this as a compliment or a booby prize! Seriously? I spend hours a lot of time on my posts and the one that gets "recognized" is a meme?!?!?

Oh well ...

~*~

I'm not one to ask my readers to vote for things, but I'm going to make an exception here and hope it helps!

Northern Illinois Food Bank - the food bank where Cam and I regularly volunteer - is breaking ground on a new food distribution center, and they need money to do this. They have submitted an application for a $50,000 grant through the Pepsi Refresh Project. If they finish in the top 10 for their category, Pepsi will award them $50,000 to help in the building process.

They are currently 113th ...

If you click on the Pepsi Refresh Project logo, it will take you directly to the Northern Illinois Food Bank grant proposal where you can vote - once a day - through the month of June.

In order to vote, you will need to either take a few seconds to set up a Pepsi account, or log on via your Facebook account. Y'all know this is something near and dear to my heart. I'd love to be able to give back to them by helping them reach this goal!


~*~*~

7 comments:

Jeff B said...

I've seen the "Sunday Stealing" bit on another blog I read. I wouldn't be put off by it. I think they find various memes by generating a search to look at the labels listed. (only a theory)

I do hope Cam can find a teacher or better yet a whole school that cares. That could be the spark to really turn things around for him in the acedemic world.

Anonymous said...

I can definitely see where your son is coming from. It's hard to care if you feel no one else cares, either.

Have a great weekend :-)

Schmoop said...

Ha...recognized for a meme. That is funny. Cheers Dana!!

snugs said...

Hey, at least you got recognized which is better than some of your followers blogs get! Welcome to the high school years and fresh starts, hope Cam and you both have a great summer, and since the South Padre trip is off you don't have to chance bumping in to me on the beach!

Deech said...

Dana, please don't take this the wrong way because you should know I feel that you are an INCREDIBLE Parent! However, I feel that Cam needs to care about himself. That's where it starts. Once he does, he will see very clearly who cares about him and who doesn't.

This is something I am trying to teach all of my kids. Unfortunately, I think it is just one of those things that they have to learn on their own and really can't be taught.

My 2 cents.....

Emmy said...

I'm often surprised by what posts get reactions and which don't. Just another one of those internet phenomenons.

I think once Cam has an in-school advocate - a teacher who will help and stand up for him and care about him - he will definitely thrive. Hopefully you can find it for him!

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

I think your meme was one of the best ever on Sunday Stealing. Your adding ten questions and then SS added ten more. I can say it was meant as a compliment. But you are right, you entire blog rocks. Cheers!