02 June 2010

A Moment of Self Indulgence

~*~*~

As if I'm not self indulgent on this blog every day! Isn't that the definition of blogging? Self indulgence??

Last week Jay posted his But Enough About You, Let's Talk About Me and this morning Another Suburban Mom posted Six Things About Another Suburban Mom. I'm not one to do lists of things about me - especially not one of those 100 things about me blogger right of passage lists - but I figured I'd throw a handful of things out here for your amusement.

And no, of course this has nothing to do with the fact that I didn't do any "blog prep" yesterday and have nothing to write about today.

1. Almost daily, I visit SkyScanner to see what the best fares are from Chicago to all destinations in the United States. For example, my search this morning found round trip fare to Omaha for $187.00, Nashville for $200, and New York (JFK) for $213. I imagine choosing one destination every 3-4 months and systematically meeting up with all of my blogger (and Twitter) friends.

2. I am VERY competitive - so much so that if I feel I might be embarrassed by my performance I'll choose not to participate. I don't need to win, but I have severe anxiety about finishing last.

3. I wear a dress or skirt to work every day, even during Chicago winters. It's not required (dress code is business casual), but I feel I look more feminine, in a linebacker wearing a dress sort of way. During the summer months it's not unusual for me to wear a skort or casual sun dress every day of the week.

4. I have several RSS feeds set up for various news agencies. Every day I read between 40-50 news stories, adding about 5 of those to my saved reading list for future blog posts. When I get 30 or so saved links, I go back through the stories and delete those I no longer find interesting. When all is said and done, I'm lucky if I actually blog about any of the saved news stories.

5. I have had discussions with two different people about doing a politically themed Blog Talk Radio show. It's something I have a great deal of interest in, but I worry about my ability to communicate my ideas and positions verbally (see #2) and I know that both of these people are smarter and far more well versed regarding the current political climate . These fears might very well keep the idea from coming to fruition.

6. One of my (many) nervous habits is pulling out my eyebrows.

7. I am terrible with entertainment trivia. I may be able to sing every lyric of 100's of songs, but I likely won't be able to tell you the name of the song and I definitely won't know who sings the song. I have similar challenges with most actors and actresses - I may know their face but seldom do I know their name or what TV show(s)/movie(s) they are well known for.

So do tell, what's one thing about you, dear reader, that is just a wee bit quirky?

~*~*~

12 comments:

Schmoop said...

No more quirky than anyone else and probably on whole, less quirky than most. Cheers Dana!!

Jeff B said...

Just one?...

OK, having my feet tickled relaxes me.

Raquel's World said...

I never answer my cell phone but get soo offended if someone doesn't answer when I call them.

Jay said...

You should do the BTR show thing. That way I can call in cause trouble. ;-)

I too worry more about finishing last than about winning. And if I think I'm gonna really stink at something, I won't do it.

Dana said...

Matt-Man, I'm no more quirky than anyone else and probably on whole, less quirky than most?? Oh ... I've got you fooled ...

Jeff B, just your feet, or tickling in general? Light touch or heavy touch? Are all of these questions showing yet another of my quirks??

Raquel's World, Ha! Now that's a good one!

Aunt Becky said...

I am composed entirely of quirks. I suppose that's my quirk.

Mike said...

1. - Screw flying. You can drive to St. Louis. Faster than flying. We'll make Jay drive up here too.

6. when you get a little older you can start pulling ear hair.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

My dad was an eyebrow puller too. I like to pick at blemishes (the bigger, the better) - although I rarely break out, so I have to stalk others....

Jeff B said...

1. Just my feet thank-you-very-much. Anywhere else and I go into orbit. Not in a good way.

2. A light touch

3. Oh you betchya

Vixen said...

I would have *never* guessed you wore a dress or skirt everyday! Learn something new every day!

:)

Karen said...

A dress every day? Wow.

So a quirky thing about me is that I feel anxiety when I see commuters at the park and ride or bus stops in the morning. My fear of public transportation is THAT insane.

Real Live Lesbian said...

What's quirky is that I'm EXACTLY like you on #7. :) I'm always amazed at those people that say, Boy George, 1982 and name the song.