24 June 2010

Confession of a Love Affair



~*~*~


It happened on Twitter, and without much fanfare. Before I knew it I was professing my love. I'm sure it stunned some, confused others, and was missed by most, but there it was ... a tweet for all the world to see ...

"Abrogate" isn't too bad either ... I *HEART* words!

It's true ... I love words. I love to write them. I love to read them. I love to say them. I love the way they make my mouth feel when I repeat them. I especially like it when a word challenges me and I am forced to look up its meaning.

Words on paper are far more sexy than words on a screen, especially hand-written words on paper. Yes, the paper - the feel, sound and smell of it - only adds to my infatuation with words. I cannot imagine a day where I caress a Kindle with the same enthusiasm that I bear hug a book.

Since my affair is now public, I thought I'd share a few of my most cherished utterances. I find it fitting to start with the word that finally exposed my lust ...

Abrogate - We cannot, nor should not, abrogate that responsibility.

Xeric - I couldn't hear anything above the hissing of the scorpions and rattlesnakes in his painfully xeric humor.

Wamble - By mid-morning, my stomach began to wamble, complaining loudly in response to my lack of breakfast.

Sycophant - He was not a sycophant in any sense of the word, but a shrewd, cold business man, far shrewder than his brother gave him credit for.

Esculent - Trying to “spice things up a bit,” Jackie decided to use edible body paints to tempt her husband; unfortunately, the latter was by nature paranoid, and refused to believe that the paint was indeed esculent.

Prosaic - But underneath, a dense maze of melodic and gestural underpinnings paddle furiously to prevent the material from sounding prosaic.

Hemidemisemiquaver - Sometimes called a black bit, a hemidemisemiquaver is not often used in musical scores.

Do you, my dear readers, have a love affair with words too? Would you be willing to share those words that make your tummy do flip-flops just thinking about them??

~*~*~

8 comments:

DL White said...

Though none of my $.25 words come to mind, I also love words. I was just commenting this morning about people using words incorrectly, trying to sound smart. Some of us use those words correctly, so stop making a bad name for us all! LOL.

I also said that my dad once told me that I was showing off and to 'dumb it down'. Pfffft.

I also LOVE books. The printed ones AND the ones in my Kindle. :p

Schmoop said...

A couple of years ago, someone told me, in a not so nice way, that words have meaning...

Words more importantly, have art. Writing is just like painting.

The words one chooses are just like the colors and brush strokes that a painter uses. I dig that.

Cheers Dana!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I love words, but am not always able to make them move from my brain to the paper. BOOKS!...nothing like the textural feel of books...

(Gosh, I hope I used that word correctly! ) LOL

J said...

I love the words facetious, asinine, and audacity. I like the way they sound. I've been told I think I'm better or act as if I'm better because I can use "big" words in the correct tense. I'm sorry, I'm educated and know those words, sometimes they're necessary because they convey the emotions better than using a smaller word. Or maybe I'm just a dork with a word fetish ;-)

Jormengrund said...

I'm a word purist, myself. I cringe over the misuse of Their, There and They're.. Two, To and Too.. Various others.. I also shudder of the diahrrea of apostrophes that crop up when not needed. Sale's, your's, and others really tend to send me up a wall!

Christo Gonzales said...

only controversial words for me...

Deech said...

Sycophant...ooooooh Good word.

Me? Shenanigans..Naught...Introspective...

These are just examples of words I like. I have a whole list of them. I would put sycophant right up there as well...

captain corky said...

Miscreant is a word I'm in love with thanks to Morgan Freeman's perfect usage in Lean on Me as Eastside High School Principal, Joe Clark.

Remember the unforgettable scene where Clark holds an assembly for the entire school on his first day as principal, and expels close to three hundred drug dealing, gang banging miscreants right off the top? What a brilliant movie.