23 June 2010

McDonald's Not-So-Happy Meals



~*~*~


The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is at it again, this time they've set their sights on an American icon - the McDonald's Happy Meal.

The Washington-based consumer advocacy group says McDonald's is like the stranger on the playground handing out candy - it's predatory marketing.

Michael Jacobson, Executive Director for CSPI says packaging food with your favorite "Shrek" toy puts parents in a tough position.

"We contend that tempting kids with toys is unfair and deceptive both to kids who don't understand the concept of advertising and to their parents who have to put up with their nagging children," said Jacobson.

Really? I contend that if you are a parent who gives in to the nagging of a 6-year old, McDonald's Happy Meals are NOT your problem.

The CSPI says dangling toys with meals violates state consumer protection laws. The CSPI is offering to postpone filing the suit if McDonald's stops using toys to market Happy Meals.

McDonald's responded with the following statement:"We couldn't disagree more with the misrepresentation of our food and marketing...Happy Meals are right-sized for kids."

The CSPI, which has filed dozens of lawsuits against food companies in recent years, is hoping the publicity and the threat of a lawsuit will force McDonald's to negotiate with them on the issue.

I don't know about you, but it sounds to me like CSPI is little more that the McDonald's Playland bully - throwing out all of the balls from the ball pit so no one can have any fun.

For the record, McDonald's does offer two types of Happy Meals that contain less than 600 calories, and no more than 35 percent of calories from fat, 10 percent of calories from saturated fat or 35 percent total sugar by weight - the Chicken McNuggets, apple dippers with caramel dip and low-fat white milk meal and the hamburger, apple dippers and milk meal. Not by any means healthy, but not quite as unhealthy.

CSPI's argument is that even though it's the healthier Happy Meals that appear in advertising, kids order the unhealthier meals most of the time.

I am just baffled by this. Seriously. First of all, McDonald's will sell the toy only - if you can't tell your toddler "no" to a toy, you can still get the toy without the fat and calories.

Secondly, kids order the unhealthier meals most of the time?? KIDS?? No, the adults - the ones with the money and the vehicle to drive to McDonald's - they place the order. I have yet to see a McDonald's Happy Meal dealer on the street corner, luring kids with his, "Just try this once" ploy.

CSPI is way out of line here, but that isn't what bothers me most about all of this. What I find most disturbing is this idea that parents cannot (do not) tell their toddlers and tweens "no" to a McDonald's Happy Meal. If you can't "deny" your child a Happy Meal when they nag, what the hell are you going to do when they start nagging about things like going to a prom party where alcohol is being served?

~*~*~

20 comments:

Schmoop said...

First of all...I hate you. I was just working on this for tomorrow, but be that as it may.

This crap infuriates me. How much shit did I want or perhaps you wanted when you were a kid and didn't get because Mom and/or Dad, said "No."?

Hell my son wanted and wants to try things or do things and his mom and I will once in awhile, God forbid, tell him, "No."

If advertisers hold more sway over one's child than the parent or parents, there are bigger problems going on than the svengali-ism spewing from the ad execs on Madison Avenue.

Ninnies, Nannny Staters, and "public interest" groups need to shut the fuck up and mind their own business.

I feel better now. Thank you, Dana.

Cheers!!

Raquel's World said...

McDonalds has done a good job by offering more healthy choices. It is up to the parents to say "No". I see so many parents that do fast food pretty much on a daily basis. I have 4 kids, full time job and I cook at home at least 5 times a week. It's hard and sometimes time consuming but worth it. The same parents that can't say no to the less healthy choices are the same ones who cannot or do not say No at home. Therefore the kids load up on soda pop, and other junk. I am not against these snacks and junk I just say give them in moderation. Yes, today my son has a HOHO cake in his lunch box, but he also has a turkey roll, an apple,a salad and a bottle of water. Come on it is not Mcdonalds fault that parents can't/don't/won't just put in a little effort!

Another Suburban Mom said...

I only let the kids have McDonalds once in awhile, usually on a road trip or when we are out at the mall and its food court time.

However, my kids know that the standard answer to fast food, sugary cereals, and lunchables is a withering stare and a comment about them being out of their minds.

However if they whine for ice cream Hubman and I usually give in because we want ice cream too.

The last time I checked, as the parent, I am the boss. The children are not.

Karen said...

The CSPI clearly has too much time on it's hands. Do we really need another Big Brother organization monitoring the way we rear our kids?

Jay said...

Well, they're right. I mean, McDonalds is advertising their shitty bad-for-you food directly to kids. But, so what? Kids can't go out and get that crap themselves.

The problem is indulgent parents who want to be their kid's best friend rather than the grown up who has be the parent and say "no" sometimes. That along with parents who not only let their kids eat food like that too often, but also allow their kids to spend all their free time just sitting around playing video games or watching TV.

boo said...

Gah, this is silly. I take my kids to Micky D's every once in awhile. Personally I hate the food, but they love it. They always want a happy meal, and I never buy them. Whenever we eat a restaurant that includes fruit as a possible side for kids meals, my kids inevitably pick the fruit. They're smart kids.

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how many times I have gone through the drive-thru and purchased the toys only. Or purchased toys and the chicken strip meal and told the boys to split it because I don't like nuggets. *shrug*

Like ASM, I am the boss at my house and in my van and anywhere else my kids happen to be. When they have a job and are earning money, then they can purchase just about whatever they want. Until then, since it's my money, I get the final say.

So there.

peace...

Dana said...

Matt-Man, you've got to get up pretty darn early to beat me to a post! You could still post all about it tomorrow and look like a stalker ...

Raquel's World, you'd have to be a complete imbecile to NOT know that generally fast food is really bad for you, and if your not old enough to know that (i.e. the Happy Meal crowd) let's hope your parents are smarter than you are. This whole thing is just asinine.

Another Suburban Mom, Cam probably eats fast food once or twice a week, and usually for similar reasons (we're on the go), but he'd much rather go to Subway for a turkey sandwich than go to McDonald's.

Dana said...

Karen, that was a rhetorical question, right?? :)

Jay, EXACTLY! Kids can nag their parents for whatever it is they want, but the ADULTS have the responsibility for the final decision. I'm just wondering why CSPI chose McDonald's - it's not like they are the ONLY entity out their that directs their message to kids!

boo, I agree - just plain silliness!! And of course you have smart kids - they've got a smart mama who has been teaching them how to make good food choices!!

Mike said...

After reading all this I somehow have this huge craving for a bigmac.

Deech said...

Dana,

The type of parenting where an adult is a child's parent and not their friend is DEAD!

Welcome to the permissive education system. It is now wrong to get angry at your child. Try deflecting instead....That way, you will be writing blog posts about how parenting contributes to the increase in ADHD.

When I grew up, no meant no and I understood that my family was a benevolent dictatorship.

I am baffled today as children literally get away with murder and the parents are clueless. The latest example? Joran Vanderslobs parents...did you check that out on the news this morning? There she was...Joran's mother...not one bit remorseful that her son is a killer.

We are in for a rough road Dana...we are in for a rough road.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Bubble-wrapped kids allowed to do as they please by 'I do not have time to argue' parents...and this is McDonald's fault?

Give me a break

Maggie said...

So because parents are refusing to, you know, PARENT, we have to make laws to make up for that?

Fast food was such a rare treat growing up, my mom hated the stuff. For as ill-equipped to parent as my parents were, they never caved when we whined for things.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

My children have never asked for a happy meal simply because they wanted the toy being offered. They love those nasty chicken nuggets and I do like the salads. I figure every once in a while, it won't be harmful. Someone (CSPI) needs to get a life!

Gina said...

Isn't there better things these people can do with their time? I am a pretty crunchy mom who stays away from preservatives and high fructose corn syrup, but L and I go on mommy-son dates to Mickey D's every so often. I don't think there's anything wrong with it and I'm sticking to that.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Excellent point. Since I don't have any children, I won't rant about parents taking responsibility.

Jormengrund said...

I've got a curiosity question just bubbling in this twisted brain of mine...

Is it any wonder that the head of CSPI Michael Jacobson nearly sent me into hysterics?

I mean, the man's obviously got some kind of thing against kids, kind of like someone who had nearly the same name.. I'm talking of Michael Jackson here, folks...

CSPI is really taking matters that shouldn't be dealt with by governing bodies into their own hands. Let the parents step up and be adults, and teach their kids on their own, without the added crap from the political peanut gallery, shall we?

Vixen said...

Ok. This really, really bothers me.... CSPI needs to figure out something else to do with their time. The whole toy 'issue' is *ridiculous* to me.

And you are so right...the issue here is not about the toys, meals, calories, what is being offered.... It's about the fact that parents should be saying no to things they don't want for their kids. Don't go after a company for being too tempting. That is the most asinine thing I've ever heard.

Jeff B said...

Remember 15-20 years ago when that idiot spilled a cup of McD's coffee in her lap and burned her crotch? How much did she get?

The pisser to this whole "Big Brother" watch dog group is that I see the same thing happening all over again. Everyone knows what a crock of crap it is, but after the lawyers get involved, even the ridiculous can gain steam.

k bare said...

*stands up and applauds*

and ditto to what the others have said.
parenting my son
is MY job.

if i can't discipline myself to tell him no about a nugget meal
my kid doesn't stand a chance.