06 August 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

There was a bit of an issue in the cyber neighborhood yesterday - Twitter went down for quite some time - and it wasn't due to maintenance, at least not planned maintenance! Seems there was a "distributed denial of service" attack launched by someone who ... are you ready for this? Was attempting to silence a lone Georgian blogger who criticized the Russian conflict. You can read more about it [HERE]. I'm using a UK news source so y'all *know* it's true!

So ... I was a little surprised of how odd I felt not being able to "connect" with folks on Twitter (I follow primarily news sources and people I know). It's not like I couldn't have sent an email, or visited a web site, but somehow that just isn't the same. And before anyone makes any smart ass remarks, yes! I badmouthed Twitter (and FaceBook) and now update both regularly. Jay was right ... just this one time though ...

~*~*~*~*~

*Poor picture quality disclaimer - these were taken with my 2-year old, 1.3 mega pixel LG Chocolate phone*

I spent yesterday afternoon, with Cam, at a Sports Medicine Clinic. He suffered what appeared to be a mild lower back injury a couple of weeks ago. I took him to our family Doc, she prescribed an anti-inflammatory - and told us to come back in a couple of weeks if it wasn't better. At Monday's practice, Cam aggravated the injury again.

After determining this was a hyper-extension back injury, the doc ordered a full set of x-rays. Apparently it is not uncommon to see small fractures of the vertebrae in this type of situation.

The good news is that there weren't any obvious injuries visible in the x-rays. Space between the vertebrae looks good. There weren't any clear fractures. The "hmmm" side is that it looked like one of his vertebrae might be pushed forward about 1 mm, and because of that, the doc has ordered a bone scan. They'll inject him with radioactive dye, make him sit for 3 hours, scan him for an hour, and produce 3-D pictures of his glowing bones.

There is a possibility of a stress fracture - or soft spot - in Cam's spine. Now, I'm not terribly concerned about this - definitely not in full-out panic mode. I realize that, because football is such a physical sport, whenever there is an injury, doctors will want to err on the side of caution, and that is what this is really all about.

So, today I'll be navigating my insurance plan, seeing what hoops I'll need to jump through to make this happen. It's a rather expensive procedure and the doc told me I might get some resistance from the insurance company depending on our coverage level. Who knows? Maybe next week I'll be posting about the wonders of implementing a National Health Care Plan!

Pffftttt! Nahhhh ....

~*~*~*~*~


Has anyone ever seen one of these before? The place we had to go for Cam's x-rays was also an Urgent Care Clinic. You know, one of those minor injuries/illnesses - night and weekend hours kind of places. In the lobby was a GIANT fish tank (seems to be a requirement of doctor's offices these days) and?? Yep! It's a prescription vending machine.

I have no idea how this thing works, but it was the first time I've ever seen anything like it. Anyone have some change? I'm thinking I'll order up a dose or two of Valium if we ever go back there!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

11 comments:

Schmoop said...

If I can buy vicodin out of that thing let me know and I'll be there in a flash. I looooove vicodin. Good luck to Cam and Cheers!!

Jay said...

No. Freaking. Way! InstyMeds? Are you kidding me?

Back injuries are so hard to diagnose. But, you can't take chances with them either. What hassle. Hope all the tests come back with good news.

Oh and, I'm right a lot. A LOT! ;-)

buffalodick said...

Now that's what I call a vending machine!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I saw that some of the medical marijuana clinics in Cali have installed those machines...

I am packing to move there now!

Good luck with cam's back...I know back injuries can be so difficult to diagnose and treat...have you thought of chiropractic care yet?

Hoping this does not crimp any future travel plans...

Unknown said...

I have still yet to go on Twitter to see what it even looks like! But I did hear about it all over the news last night and this morning.

Poor Cam. I sure hope it's nothing serious, but does this mean he will be out of football now?

A prescription vending machine. No, can't say that I have EVER seen one of those!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Tell me that you have the BLUE chocolate phone...just like mine! We'll be ancient phone sisters!

Here's wishing Cam a speedy recovery and you an easy time with the insurance folks. They can be such PITAs!

Anonymous said...

I so hear you on the hurrdles with the insurance companies. They can be such a pain about that kind of stuff. I hope he is ok. Iknow first hand back injuries suck!

Nope, never seen one of those before. kinda interesting though. Fish tanks, think because they are soothing.

Aunt Becky said...

The first time I saw a prescription vending machine I thought to myself, "well, I know how I'll get locked away for life."

Oh, that is TOTALLY going to be my Facebook Status.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I don't like when my social things don't work either. It's not like I'm glued to them, but I do like to check in from time to time.

I hope you get some answers and a treatment for Cam's back.

Vixen said...

A prescription vending machine..... Huh. Would love to know how that works! Haha!

The Twitter thing was interesting to see transpire bc SO many people were so lost bc of it being down.

Good luck with Cam's treatment/diagnosis!

JW said...

I'm not going to discuss the pros and cons of a state-sponsored universal health-plan, not least because I think I've figured out your take on the issue!

I'll just settle for wishing Cam every luck with the PET/NM scan and the subsequent diagnosis/treatment, and you every luck with your insurer!

As for Twitter, well I've only just got access again. As it happens, I've been keeping busy with Son this weekend ... but I still missed it. *sigh* Sad but true ...