17 August 2009

Who Let The Dogs Out?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael Vick ...

That's how it all started. Those two words on the Facebook wall of one of my long-time friends who happens to live in the Philly area and is a huge Eagles fan. Her wall quickly turned into a melee ... and here I thought Facebook was such a civil place.

I love dogs. I grew up with dogs. There were times in my life when I was certain that the only "person" in the world who loved me was my dog, but that doesn't impact how I feel about Michael Vick.

Michael Vick committed a heinous crime. He was convicted and sentenced. He served his sentence and has been conditionally reinstated into the NFL. This doesn't mean he is guaranteed a multi-million dollar NFL contract, or that his reputation has not been tarnished beyond repair.

What I find more disturbing than Michael Vick being conditionally reinstated into the NFL are the judgmental, unforgiving, inhumane opinions of some of the people who believe Michael Vick should be held to a different set of standards than those society holds for other convicted felons.

This comment (and somewhat "popular" opinion) disturbed me most:

I would have an easier time forgiving the person that gets drunk and ACCIDENTALLY kills another person (i.e Dante Stallworth), than a person who tortures puppies.


Ummm ... really? Since when is drinking to excess, hopping into a two-ton "weapon" and killing someone an "accident"? There is every bit as much intent in that act as there was in Michael Vick's inhumane treatment of animals, and Stallworth killed a PERSON for goodness sakes! Or is it just that it's easier to understand Stallworth's crime - that we accept Stallworth's actions because we've done the same thing, or know someone who has? Damn if those aren't terrifying thoughts.

Michael Vick committed, and was convicted of, a felony. He was sentenced (within guidelines "we" set ) and he served that sentence. As a convicted felon, there are additional civil sanctions he faces which may include the inability to serve on a jury and the loss of voting rights. Shall never have the opportunity to play in the NFL is not one of those sanctions.

Now, if Major League Baseball would just do something about Pete Rose I'd really be happy!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~