19 August 2009

Pat! I'd Like To Buy A Vowel!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spondylolysis. Try saying that three times fast ... with peanut butter in your mouth!

What is it? It's Cam's diagnosis. The word itself doesn't look too bad, although it could use a vowel or two, but just like antitransubstantiationalist (one who doubts that consecrated bread and wine actually change into the body and blood of Christ) and floccinaucinihilipilification (the estimation of something as valueless) spondylolysis is a big word for something fairly simple - stress fractures of the spine. Yep! Cam broke his back ... kind of ... he has four stress fractures on both lateral sides of his L4 vertebrae.

Cam's doctor is going with a rather conservative treatment plan - a back brace (he's being fitted today) and physical therapy for 6-12 weeks. The great news is that Cam can expect a full recovery, and although his football season this year (as a player) is over, his football career shouldn't be impacted.

For those of you not familiar with the circumstances surrounding this injury, it's one of those not-so-proud mom moments. During the second week of practice, Cam was talking smack to one of his teammates. You know ... the "I'm going to kick your ass" 13-year old boy kind of smack. Well, the kid he was going up against just happened to be the team's strongest defensive lineman, and he LAID.CAM.OUT Cam took a few minutes to get up - complained about his back hurting - then got back to practicing. He got nailed a second time and wasn't able to finish practice.

I am well aware that football is a physical sport. Players spend most of the season with something hurting. I wasn't too worried about Cam as I figured he probably pulled a muscle in his back and would be good as new after a few days rest. I did take him to our family physician as a precaution - he prescribed an anti-inflammatory and a few days rest. Cam was feeling better the following week and headed back to practice.

You're seeing where this is going, right? He complained about back pain after his first day back, but stuck it out a second day (with a little encouragement and taunting from his coaches, teammates and ... yes ... ME). It got to the point where I decided we should probably rule out any significant issue, but it really looked like Cam was milking this injury. One minute he'd be jumping across a creek, and the next he was walking all hunched over.

I took him to a Sports Medicine doctor about 2 weeks ago. The doc did a full set of x-rays that were inconclusive. He ordered a bone scan which we had done last Thursday. Since that appointment, Cam has been attending practices and games, but not actively participating in either.

Then Sunday, before Cam's game, I was spying on him saw him out on the practice field, jogging, kicking a soccer ball and diving for passes thrown by one of his teammates. Ha! I had been duped. Cam was just fine. No wonder his coaches and teammates were questioning his dedication to the team. The bone scan results were due back on Monday and I was certain he'd be suiting up for practice Monday night.

I called the doc Monday morning and discovered they hadn't gotten the bone scan results from the hospital. I called the hospital and their computers were down - and had been since Sunday evening. I tried throughout the day but discovered Cam existed only digitally and there was no way we were going to get the results on Monday. He attended practice Monday night without pads or a helmet.

Yesterday I called the hospital - AGAIN - and got the bone scan results faxed to the doctor's office. I called the doctor to get the results and he was at his other office. His nurse told me he probably wouldn't get to them before today. At this point, knowing that Cam was milking a minor injury anyway, I told the nurse, "Well, I hope there isn't anything wrong because I'm sending him to practice tonight fully padded and fully participating." The doctor called not more than 10 minutes later.

I honestly thought the doctor was kidding when he told me we were looking at the "worst case" scenario. Seriously? But I was watching my kid play soccer just two days ago. Apparently this is the nature of the injury. Some physical activities cause no pain (like walking, jogging and kicking a soccer ball) yet others that might not be as physically demanding do cause pain. Hmm ... who'd have thunk it? Oops!

Cam's coaches have appointed him "team manager" for the year. He'll still attend all practices and games and will stay involved with the team, just in a different capacity.

*EDIT* Since some of you asked, and more of you will probably wonder, Cam has had mixed reactions to this news. He was extremely disappointed to learn he wouldn't be playing this season, but when I asked him if he still wanted to be part of the team - go to practices and games - his reaction was, "Well ... OF COURSE!" (said in his best 13-year old boy attitude) I've had to implement some physical limitations (like no bike riding) until we get clarification from the doc this afternoon, and he has been both receptive and compliant to those limitations.

I think in some ways he was relieved to learn that there really was something wrong with him. He had been taking a LOT of crap from his teammates and from his coaches as they presumed this was more of a "Football is harder than I thought and I don't want to work that hard" attitude (based primarily on the conflicting physical actions they were seeing at practice). I was right there with them after spying seeing him on Sunday and I also had several
parents question the validity of his injury. These results "prove" that Cam really does have an injury and is not just a crappy teammate with a crappy attitude, and quite honestly, he seemed to enjoy the "I told you so" moment.

We'll see how compliance with the brace and physical therapy goes. I'll know this afternoon if the brace is rigid, or something more pliable. I'm guessing the more comfortable it is the better compliance we'll have. Physical therapy will focus on back flexibility, and core strengthening to stabilizing his spine. He's hoping a side benefit will be getting those 6-pack abs he's been dreaming of.

This also impacts school. The doctor is writing up a request for school modifications - no PE for 12 weeks, a second set of books at home (Cam won't be able to carry a backpack during this time), the ability to stand or sit, at will, in class to alleviate pain, etc. I've been nagging at reminding Cam that he'll recover more quickly if he follows ALL of the doctor's instructions. We'll see how it goes.


And for the record, not only will I allow Cam to play footbal again, I'll encourage him to play again next year. Football is a rough sport - injuries happen. He'll be fine.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~