08 August 2008

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Whew! What a week! So much to get done before I head out the door and so much procrastination little time to get it done. As I write this I still have not packed nor finished laundry. It's looking like our 5:30AM departure will be delayed until 7-ish. Not to worry - since I don't have a plan I'm still on schedule!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Speaking of plans, I did have one plan, and it was a reminder of why uber-planning really is highly over-rated. I reserved a rental car about 2 months ago. Got a great deal on a "standard" (Pontiac G6, Ford Fusion or similar) car - under $150/week and unlimited mileage. I rented it through Enterprise, so opted for the "We'll pick you up" option. They were due her at 5PM yesterday.

Like every good planner, I called on Tuesday to confirm. Yes, they had the reservation. Yes, they'd see me on Thursday at 5PM.

At 5PM yesterday, I call the office to make sure someone is on the way (Are you getting a feel for what a pain in the ass my normal mode of operation is here?). Stephanie tells me their driver had a final and had to leave at 4PM. They tried to call (they did, but didn't leave a message) to see if I was available earlier. Stephanie offered to shut the office down and pick me up by 5:30PM. Not a problem - I can live with that.

5:35 and no Stephanie. Hmmmm ... maybe I should call again. Guess who answers the phone? Stephanie! Seems she changed her mind and decided she would pick me up after she closed the office at 6PM. It would have been nice to have been let in on that information.

I've got a 7PM appointment with the family counselor (yes, we are still going), so throw a temper tantrum decide I had better go pick up the car myself and worry about getting my car back to the house later. Off we go, already an hour behind the plan.

Get to Enterprise and my "Pontiac G6, Ford Fusion or similar" turned out to be a friggin' PT cruiser. No offense to any of you who love this car, but it reminds me of the AARP set - seems any time I see someone driving one of these they also qualify for the senior citizens discount at Denny's! I got out of the car and said, "Please tell me you are NOT putting me in that PT Cruiser." Poor Stephanie - she looks at me clearly distressed. As a matter of fact, that is my car. Ummmm ... no it isn't.

She says they do have a 2008 Charger, but it hasn't been cleaned up since it was returned. Not a problem, give me the Charger *does the happy dance* I made my 7PM appointment, got a great vehicle to drive across country AND appreciated the opportunity to see the value of uber-planning (none)!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

There have been many lessons this week. Much drama, some of it - if I'm honest - self-induced. I've had the unique opportunity to "see" people in a new light. A few stepped up to the plate, many stood by my side, a few stabbed me in the back, and one or two twisted the knife as it was going in (and no, not a SINGLE blogger falls into either of those last two categories). Kind of a microcosm of the "real" world, don't you think?

This week has been eye opening. My road time over the next few days will give me plenty of opportunity to reflect on changes that I need to consider - what I do to contribute to the drama in my life - what I can change to minimize that. People will do whatever people do. My reaction to what they do is what's really important, and I think there is opportunity for some positive change there.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

August 19, 2008 - 8PM Eastern Time
SAVE THE DATE

In my continuing effort to expand my personal comfort zone -AACK!! - I have agreed to be a "Special Guest " on Blog Talk Radio's Turnbaby Talks show.

Remember, I am the woman who can sense a panic attack coming on when I have to pick up the telephone and order pizza! Yep! This is certainly a stretch for me, but I'm actually looking forward to it. Turnbaby is one of those people who can make you feel comfortable within seconds of inviting you into her "home."

Will y'all come play with me? What if I promise to be at least half-nekkid while on the show??

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

21 comments:

buffalodick said...

Cars have been a focal point with me all this week- and today isn't over yet!

Karen said...

Have a safe trip.

Unknown said...

Wow. That was WAY too much trouble for a car. They should give you a discount!

And I hope you guys be careful but have LOTS of fun "not planning" anything! Sometimes it's the best way to travle.

tt said...

How in the world can anyone think that a PT Cruiser is in the same category as G6 or a Fusion??? Good call on the rental though...saves your car. What a mess though...maybe this is the Universe's way of getting all the stupid shit out of the way BEFORE your trip. Maybe?
A blog talk?? WOw...see, I always see you as brave ( ie: HNT ) so I'm not surprised that you agreed. Can't wait to hear you :)
Have a great and safe trip!

Schmoop said...

You and Cam have fun, sexy. Be Safe and pick me up some gorp in Washington if you think about it. Cheers Dana!!

Lu' said...

Why rent a car if you have one? Enjoy the Charger, I would. Enjoy the trip be safe and sane? Plenty of picture taking I'm sure :)

As American as Apple Pie said...

Have a great trip and enjoy the time with Cam. As for the rental snafu, check in with Doc and see if he can help at all. Maybe a discount when you return it or something?

I'll try and remember about Turnbaby. I'd love nothing more than to play with you!

Constance said...

Auggggggh about the car rental ! They should pay you for your lost time and aggravation. Seriously, wouln't it be nice if people weren't on time - and they OWED you ?

And wow, yes, I will watch the show - Nice compliment that you are invited.

Figuring out how you are creating part of your own drama is usually the most effective way to reducing it. You're on the right track :)

Jay said...

I've been ridiculously lucky over the years when dealing with car rental places. I know so many people who haven't been. I'll be honest with you, screw ups like what you described are things I blow up over. I would have made poor Stephanie cry. Unless she was really, really cute. haha .. kidding. There's simply no excuse for things like that.

Anyway, have fun on your trip. Drive carefully!

I'll try to catch Turnbaby's show. I might have to listen to in archives instead of catching it live though. We'll see.

cat said...

You both have a great time! Be Safe and enjoy the drive.

Try to stay in touch and let us know when you get back.

Be safe and have FUN!

justsomeguy said...

The level of service in the field of "customer service" has declined at a truly alarming rate in recent years. So sad.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Dianne said...

Have a great trip!

Knight said...

They didn't pick you up because they had a final? Isn't that something you usually know about ahead of time? Did they think you somehow wouldn't notice that someone wasn't picking you up?

See the beauty of not planning? You can't be disappointed if you didn't have plans.

Anndi said...

Have a great time... and I'll be doing the same with my Chicklet.

OOH a CHARGER! VROOM VROOM! Be safe.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Enjoy the muscle car! How fun!

You guys are going to have a wonderful trip!!!!!

Brian Gardes said...

My rule for renting cars is simple: go with the truth.

Alamo? Don't live in Texas, won't rent from them.

Dollar? Costs a LOT more than a dollar.

Budget? Not really in mine.

Enterprise? Can't even get Spock or Kirk to shill for them? Not worth it.

Hertz. Yes it does hurt to rent a car. They get my business every time!

Take care of yourself. Hopefully there will be updates from the road!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Picking up the car..much better...I hate the Cruiser...it is too uncomfortable for me to drive...but a Charger...I don't care if there were three day old mcdonalds bags in the back...let me take it to a car wash and spray some air freshener and good as new...

OOO does it have satellite radio? some of those models do!

Biscuit said...

Oh man!! Can we get a replay or something? I'm going to be in Florida with the Goddesses, and I'm pretty sure I'll be drunk at 8pm. Or any other time, for that matter :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck, take breaks every two or three hours and take in the sights and sights sounds!

Unknown said...

So, how much did Enterprise cut off the rental for all of the screw ups?

katherine. said...

laughing...I always call to confirm...