13 July 2008

Dirt, Mooning, Jr. HNT and Pussies

Did I get your attention? Well, some of you sick pervs faithful readers might be disappointed, but to heck with you!

Remember my getting back to roots post? The one where I embarrassingly confessed owned up to my redneck roots? Well, Saturday night the family tradition continued and Cam got a little dose of his heritage. There's nothing like taking your family to Sycamore Speedway for the Saturday night races!

This is the stuff memories are made of! It just doesn't get any better than sitting on the hard wooden bleachers, breathing in a combination of second-hand smoke and car exhaust, while drinking $2 jumbo cups of Miller Genuine Draft. What's even better is when you walk back from the concession stand during a race and you get chunks of mud kicked up into said beer! Of course I drank it!

Not only were the races fun, but this is the kind of place that when a driver does something idiotic, taking matters in to your own hands is not only acceptable, but crowd pleasing. There were several instances when a driver felt someone did them wrong and rear-ended the other driver intentionally gave the other driver a little love tap to remind them they needed to be more considerate next time.

So, while other Chicagoans were in Joliet, where they paid upwards of $250 to watch the big boys race (NASCAR was in town), we were in a crowd of "wife beater t-shirt" wearing, chain attached to their wallet, mullet-heads good old, down to earth, Midwestern families. And you know what? It was a blast!

As a bonus, I was downloading the Saturday pics from the camera and I came across a few pics that had been taken and never downloaded. Remember that lunar eclipse a few months ago? Here was my view of it.

Then, it appears I've got a budding HNT-er on my hands. No, the fruit never falls far from the tree, does it? Fortunately, there weren't any of those kind of photos to be found, but he does seem to enjoy sharing a little glimpse of himself with the camera.

This one is actually my favorite.


He does seem to have a knack for making some goofy faces, doesn't he? He tells me these are his "I'm cool" poses. Ummmm ... I think I forgot what it's like to be 12. And yes, I did remind him that hats have a bill on them to keep the sun out of one's eyes, and unless he is a flounder, he needs to wear his hat the right way.

Oh, and he didn't forget the obligatory cute kitten photos. This is Gizmo - the newest addition to our family. We picked her out from the animal shelter about two weeks ago. See that funky ear she has? This wasn't a twitch, her ear always looks like that. Apparently she was one of a large litter of kittens and her head was wedged in a position that kept her head from developing in a "normal" fashion. She always looks to have her head tilted just a bit.


This is Tessa. She was queen of the jungle until Gizmo came along, and she's not very happy to have to share her house with the cute, little furball. OK, she might be looking fierce, but it was really just a yawn!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

26 comments:

captain corky said...

"It just doesn't get any better than sitting on the hard wooden bleachers, breathing in a combination of second-hand smoke and car exhaust, while drinking $2 jumbo cups of Miller Genuine Draft."

Is that what heavens gonna be like when I get there, Dana? ;)

Lu' said...

I actually like the hat backwards pic. Very cute new addition to the family. There is just something about a yawning critter pic that I like.

Dana said...

Corky, I'm pretty sure 90% of the spectators Sunday were in heaven, so I'd say there is a pretty good chance!

Lu, I don't usually do critter pics, but since they were "found" I figured they fit the theme.

Johanne said...

Those are very nice portrait of your boy!!
Have a nice day!

Schmoop said...

Next time you go to the races, tell everybody's "old lady" I said Hi.

That last pic of Cam:

"Yeah, I'm bad."

Cheers Hot Stuff!!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Sounds fun to me! (secret redneck here)

Cam's a cutie! A few more years and your phone's gonna be ringing off the hook!!!!

Baby said...

What fun (love going to the races - even the smaller venues)!!! Your Cam is a gorgeous boy, and if he's only 12, then you've got even MORE (emphasis highly on 'more') posing in front of cameras and mirrors to see!! Awwww, kitties are cute :)

MrRyanO said...

I spent a LARGE portion of my youth at the local dirt tracks. There's something magical about the combination of ethanol, dirt, burning oil, exhaust, beer, and Old Spice...but mullets? They were made for picture taknin'! There's a picture bounty on those creations!

Cool pictures of Cam. I think my mom has albums full of those type of shots of me...I was a bit of a ham and could be counted on to slip in a few "self portraits" on every roll! (Yes, kids...this was before digital! LOL)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Dirt in your beer makes it more flavorful...

Cool pics of Cam...but where is the video of him opening a package???

buffalodick said...

Those tracks are all over the Midwest- probably everywhere in the USA and Canada for that matter!

Nilsa S. said...

From what I hear, seeing car racing in person actually makes it enjoyable. But, from my vantage point, on the couch, I just can't ever seem to get into it. Maybe I should drum up some dirt in my beer to make it more authentic?

Jay said...

Going to the local dirt track give you the chance to see every single Jeff Foxworthy "You might be a redneck if..." joke play out right before you eyes. So much fun! haha

Jeff B said...

Thank you for reminding him shich way a hat is supposed to be worn. That's one of my pet peeves. Speaking of that, cool cat. the funky ear gives Gizmo personality. You should tell Cam this is what his ear will look like if he keeps wearing his hat sideways.

My next pet I'm going to name Peeve.

Librarian Lee said...

Cute :) All of 'em

Knight said...

Looks like Cam has been searching for the perfect Myspace profile pic. I vote for the first one with the tough kissy face and ticket to the gun show.

Dana said...

SeaRabbit, I don't know that they are anything I'd hang on the family portrait wall, but they probably depict his personality fairly well.

Matt-Man, I *was* one of the "old ladies" there - how terrifying is that??

RLL, your redneck secret is out!

Dana said...

Baby, he has certainly discovered vanity - so much so that he actually showers now without being told.

RD, magical it was. Cam has now decided that when I finally give up on the Cavalier (SHH! Yes, I drive a 1998 Cavalier) that he wants to convert it to a car to race in the "compact" division. He's convinced the Cavalier is his ticket to fame - or is that infamy?

Bond, The package is still sealed and the video *will* come. We are having some logistical issues with the taping as we have to do it in a "private" moment.

Dana said...

Buff, it's been a long time since I've been to a dirt track - most have gone to the asphalt.

Nilsa, dirt in the beer would certainly help, as would viewing pictures of guys with mullets and women with big hair!

Jay, I couldn't help but have Foxworthy flashbacks for the 3+ hours we were there, but I'll tell you what - GREAT bunch of people!

Dana said...

Jeff, it is a HUGE pet peeve of mine too! This suburbia gang sign throwing, low pants wearing, hat turned sideways crap gets to me. Not in my house (at least when he's not in the bathroom taking pictures).

Lee, thank you!

Knight, MySpace? We've managed to BAN that so far ... at least I think we have. That's why I check the computer history daily!

As American as Apple Pie said...

I have yet to go to a race. Doc keeps saying he'll take me but not so far. I do like me a good old-fashioned tractor pull though. Same feeling...exhaust, beer, red-necks.

Cam is so cute being tough looking! Tell him that and he'll stop. The last thing a 12 year old boy wants is to be called cute!

Love the cats. Makes me miss mine. :(

justsomeguy said...

Nothing like a night at the dirt track to really make you ponder Creation vs. evolution.

none said...

the races are great . Your post brings back fond memories.

Dana said...

Apple, I haven't been to a NASCAR race, although I swear I'm going to make an entire season in a motor home before I die!

Good Dr., hehehehehe! Boy, isn't that the truth!

Hammer, can't you just smell it thinking about it!

Acrimony said...

I love that second pic of Cam, it's really good! Good job Cam! :)

Unknown said...

That lunar eclipse is just beautiful! And the second picture of your son? I LOVE that. I find pictures of my 12 year old and her friends posing all the time, too.

And how much do I LOVE that kitten!!!! Gizmo is just the cutest little thing! I just want to kiss the kitty!!!!

Anonymous said...

Cam the ham!! Completely 12 going on 20! I've got me a 12 year old girl who thinks the same. Wonder what pics I'd find if her cell phone had a camera? I am now convinced that I need to get to a track and see me a good race. Don't care much about sports, but cars I can get into. I'm thinking my boys could use a good night at the races. Thanks for sharing Dana. Oh and by the way, watch out for that boy, he's gonna be scary good-looking when he's dating age. Girls gonna be all over him!

Take Care
FMD