16 July 2008

Bits and Pieces

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Holy bunny poop Batman! What a crazy week this has been, and I'm only two days into it! I've been kind of a sucky blogger friend as of late - skimming blogs, days late, and commenting infrequently. And still, you all come to visit!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Monday was my day off. I scheduled a 3-hour evaluation appointment for Cam (there seems to be some question as to whether his Asperger's diagnosis is correct). This was a 9AM appointment - I figured he would be done by noon and we could at least have a little "fun" time later in the day.

We show up at the doctor's office and one of the staff members asks me who I have an appointment with. I tell him we are there to see Dr. Al and he gets a concerned look on his face. Seems Dr. Al isn't in the office.

Long story short, Dr. Al was sitting in the dentist's chair getting a root canal because he "doesn't schedule appointments for Monday morning." Well, the computer says you had one - with me - not with your dentist. We were able to reschedule for noon on the same day, but that rescheduling, coupled with a 6:30 orthodontist appointment, totally blew the day.

What I find most irritating about this is that there is a sign prominently posted in the doctor's office which reads:

A broken appointment is a loss to everyone. Please inform us 24-hours in advance if you are unable to keep your appointment. Failure to provide 24-hour notice will result in a charged appointment. (Please note we cannot bill insurance for missed appointments.)
Well then, can I expect a $500 credit on my account? My time is every bit as valuable as yours is and you didn't give me 24-hours notice! Sure, when hell freezes over ... or the Cubs win the World Series ... whichever comes first.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I had to renew my driver's license yesterday (it expires Friday). I went to the Secretary of State Driver Facility (Can't Illinois be like every other state and call it something like the DMV? We don't even rate an acronym!) and was quite impressed. From the time I left my car, until the time I got back in my car with my new and improved license was ... are you ready?? 13 MINUTES!! Seriously! Quite impressive.

Anyway, in the short time I was there, I watched several people in various stages of the application process. I was pissed off a bit disturbed by the lack of English skills some of these applicants had. A young man was asked, "Have you ever had a driver's license in any other state?" and could not answer the question because he didn't understand English well enough to know what was being asked.

Call me a racist pig, but if you can't answer the verbal questions asked of you in ENGLISH, maybe you shouldn't be driving in "my" country! Oh, but that would be discriminatory, wouldn't it? Instead, it appears my local
Secretary of State Driver Facility employs several interpreters who speak the most common languages for this area. We'll just ask them questions in their native language because it's not like the street/traffic signs are printed in ENGLISH, or that the police will be speaking ENGLISH if they pull you over, or that, should you have an accident, the person driving the other vehicle might speak ... well ... ENGLISH!

OK, I feel better now. Not really, but I did need to get that off my chest! Along with my shirt ... oh ... it's not Half-Nekkid Thursday yet?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

One more thing, while I'm successfully ranting ...

I had to register Cam for 7th grade last night. Remember, he attends a public school. The cost? $115 just to walk through the door of the building in September, and extra $15 because he participates in band.

Now, if this was the only money I was expected to pay I wouldn't be complaining, but there will be more ... much more!

If he decides he wants to participate in an after-school sport, he will need a sports physical. At a minimum, that will cost me a $20 co-pay AND the participation fee (currently $50/sport).

Band? Well, I'm currently paying $54/month to rent an oboe - that's $648/year. Yes, I should consider buying one, but do you have any idea what an intermediate level oboe costs? You don't want to know. Then there is the band uniform - black slacks and whatever shirt they decide is appropriate this year. Cam won't be able to wear last year's clothes, so we're probably be looking at about $150 for a uniform (including new dress shoes).

Then we have all of the little stuff ... the assignment notebook ($2.50), the PE uniform ($25), the school supplies (usually in the $100-$200 range depending on the calculator requirements). Oh, and speaking of school supplies, can someone please tell me why a 24-pack of CRAYONS are still on his supply list for 7th grade?? All that I can say is he better have learned how to color inside the lines by now!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

36 comments:

MrRyanO said...

I think that they figure they are "doing you a favor" by not raising your taxes, but instead nickel and dime you for every little thing...crazy!

Jeff B said...

Thirteen minutes has got to be a world record for any government run institution. If they are constantly that effecient I would let them call it whatever they want.

The whole speaking English thing is not racist at all. It's called common sense. If I moved to another country, I sure as hell would not expect them to cater to my laziness by requiring an interpreter everywhere I went.

Learn the freaking language you putz!

Knight said...

I agree that if you move here you should learn the language but I also think Americans in general are really lazy about learning other languages and we should really do something about that before we get so cocky. Myself included.

My mind is wandering and trying to figure out what Cam will have to use those crayons for. Isn't it time to upgrade to colored pencils at least?

Dana said...

RD, had my tax bill this year not been $7000+ I might buy that reasoning. What's even worse is that I am paying for this "free" public education and I don't even get any authority to hold anyone accountable for teaching well!

Jeff, I was quite impressed with the 13 minutes - they actually called my number before the number slip finished printing at the check-in desk!

Knight, when I spent a year in Korea, I learned the "basics" of the language so that I could communicate in the native language any time I raveled off base. But had I been applying for a government issued driver's license I would expect to have "mastered" the language, not expected Koreans to adapt to my language.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Shesh...kids are expensive!

And I agree with Knight. They should learn to speak our language...but we should also put forth some effort and learn a language like most of the citizens of other countries that I've been to.

Ken said...

Failure to provide 24-hour notice will result in a charged appointment. (Please note we cannot bill insurance for missed appointments.)

Please note that they really "can't" bill you for missed appt. They "may" bill you, but you sure as hell don't "have" to pay it. Of course they won't like you any more and who wants a dentist that doesn't like you?

boo said...

So that means that Friday is your birthday. ^_^

Everyone should dedicate a special post on their blogs to Dana on Friday, and we can all show her our nipples. It'll be a big old nipple love fest. I picked nipple because it's fun to type. Nipple.

Jay said...

Ah yes, but in many states when they try to set up ESL classes so that our new friends from other countries can speak and understand English what happens? Well, the "Everybody should have to learn English" crowd objects on the basis that it will "encourage more people to move here." Amazing how that works huh? The very people who bitch the most about immigrants not learning English are the ones that try to prevent them from being able to learn English. ;-)

Of course I agree that everybody who comes here should have to learn English. I actually don't know anyone who doesn't.

And don't EVEN get me started on funding for schools and on how all that money is wasted and then the schools nickel and dime the parents like that. AND how the teachers end up paying for so much out of their own pockets too. That's an all day rant. haha

cat said...

Funny you bring up missing appointments. I once took my daughter to a appointment with her dentist. We waited 3 hours in the waiting room and as each hour went by I would go to the check in and ask if there was a problem, because I needed to return to work, they expressed that the dentist got held up and would be right with us.

As I stated 3 hours later my dauther was called back to see her dentist, I went back with her and asked the assistant what the hold-up was and she told me he got held up from his lunch hour.
I was so pissed.

After I got home (it was too late to return back to my office)I sat down and typed out a invoice for my salary hours and explained that my time was as important, if not more so then his, since I have to work to be able to pay him his ridiculous rate and that since I did not return back to work, because of his dis-respect for me and my daughter, that I felt that he should pay me my hours I missed setting in his office waiting on him to return FROM LUNCH!

Needless to say they didn't pay me the amount on my invoice, but they did void their charge for that day.

Sometimes it does pay to bitch.

Karen said...

Kids are expensive. But my sister spends about $400 per year on school supplies and stuff as a teacher. That blows my mind.

Don't get me started on speaking English!

buffalodick said...

Why is it, I am reading your post, and sex comes up and so do I? Quit it- I'm trying to deal with you on an intellectual level and you are making it really hard... really! I thought that was tastefully written- how about you?

Dana said...

RLL, yes they are! And we're not even to High School where the expenses really increase!

Micky, of course I wouldn't have to pay, but I can guarantee you they'd turn the bill over to collections and it could negatively impact my credit rating. They have all the power in this case.

Boo(duh), yes, Friday is my birthday and I'll have a special post for you! Oh, and I don't like to type nipple, I prefer to lick or suck them! Did I say that out loud?

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

13 minutes???!!! Who needs an acronym when you get in and out in 13 minutes!!???

Sorry, move here, learn our language...Are there interpreters in their countries to help me when I need a license??? HELL NO!

Pay your school taxes, but it is never enough...there are always fees...

a birthday huh? 34? 35? 22? 65?

bwahahahahahahahaa

Dana said...

Jay, and I would be one of those people. Well, not entirely ...

As long as English speaking individuals are NOT having opportunities taken away so that money can be re-routed to ESL opportunities, I'm fine.

Cat, maybe I should write a letter then ... hmmmm ...

Karen, I'm actually surprised it's only $400. I actually head a committee at my son's school whose primary function is to raise funds for the things the budget doesn't cover. Last year we were able to raise enough $$ to cover things like tissue for the classrooms, extra supplies, post-it notes, etc. This year we've paid for bus service to provide transportation from after-school sports.

Dana said...

Buff, what ever could make you think about sex? Was it my reference to getting something off my chest, or Boo(duh)'s nipple fest??

Bond, for the record, I will be 19 with a quarter century experience!

Schmoop said...

Wow...It sucks to be you. ; ) Cheers Dana!!

Liz Hill said...

There is nothing that chaps my ass more than people who set up an appointment with me and then just never show. I don't have a problem at all with people who cancel or have to re-schedule. But a no show???

And your doc ought to at least send a letter of apology.

none said...

Damn straight! For all the taxes we pay, the schools should be footing more of the bills instead of giving themselves bonuses and flying around to education confrences.

My take is ..no hablo..pablo...no speekee engrish..you take bus..next!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, I think that should just be, "I suck!" *wink*

Turnbaby, I understand that emergencies arrise, but apparently the doc didn't even check his Monday schedule because he doesn't schedule Monday appointments. Well, someone in you office did!

Hammer, I can always count on you to agree with me!

Christo Gonzales said...

ahhhhhh my head is spinning....and the only thing that is keeping it straight is the 13 minute license upgrade....

Anonymous said...

Wait till your kids hit college. One of my children attend an in-state public school. They stress how tuition has been held down, but I pay over $1200 in "fees" above tuition: student union fee, automation fee, fee to administer fees, etc....

Tequila Mockingbird said...

it's totally cool. ive been a shitty blogger too. i'll be out of town, or acutally doing work at work. ugh. sucks when life gets in teh way of blogging!

As American as Apple Pie said...

Glad you got that off your chest. Do you have pics? ;P

I am lucky that my parents take my kids school shopping and so I only have to buy them 1 or 2 outfits. I reuse many of the same supplies because they don't always go through them. However, we are still in Elementary so things are simple. I'm not looking forward to all those extras in MS nad HS!

Acrimony said...

so what did the shrink end up saying? Probably said "give me 6 weeks to review these results and I'll let you know."

I don't understand why "public school" is so damn expensive but it's the same way out here, you can expect to spend 300 bucks on just fees not counting school supplies.

Dana said...

DB, I know ... I went way past your 30-second attention span.

Kannon7, college *shudders*

Tequila, thank goodness I'm off the hook! Now, if I can just get my butt in gear!

Dana said...

Apple, we won't do the school shopping trip - I buy clothes throughout the year. Yes, elementary school is much less expensive!

Tali, more on the results later. The free and appropriate public school education isn't free nor appropriate.

Lu' said...

When I was in inside sales while living in Southern California, I picked up a call from someone that could not be understood, the english was so broken I'd be suprised it it could ever be mended. I hung up the phone!

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged!

http://practicalpisces.blogspot.com/2008/07/my-quirky-things.html

Christo Gonzales said...

occasionaly I am Like you just waisting my time.... .....slow.....long attention span ..span did I say span oh yeah I did .....piddling away...just like your normal day.....

typically I have no patience for this or any other 'doldrum' its cute though that you like to bust my chops.

Christo Gonzales said...

be careful there shortstop you sent pitures not me......

Anonymous said...

I was rocking along with you there for a while. What did DB do to you? I sense hostility there.

Kelly

Dana said...

Lu, I worked a tech support line for 3M for many years and often came across this challenge.

DB, not busting your chops, just playin' I think both of us may "suffer" a bit from the rogue humor, misunderstood comment plague.

Kelly, your senses might be a bit off.

Anonymous said...

Dana, I'm right there with you on the fees! Ive got 3 band geeks this year and I've got all 3 that need marching uniforms, 2 will need tuxedos for their concert band performances, there will be something like a $300 fee just to be in the band, and if they have a big trip like they did last year (San Francisco) there will be 2 that I'll shell out something like 7-800 for that. Oh yeah, plus whatever the instrument rental turns out to be. Believe me, I'm right there on the fees!!

FMD

Johanne said...

I am with you on the English speaking thing... I'm in Quebec, working in public service, and I expect people coming to me to speak at least a little French, well, we are in Quebec, and I think everybody knows that we speak French here... There are many coming in and addressing to me in Spanish, like it is the most natural thing in the world... and... many who only speak English... but this is less a problem, as we almost all speak English too...lololol...

Neil Benson said...

Before I moved to South Carolina I lived in Greeley Colorado where over 60% of the local school district was composed of children of Hispanic origin. Needless to say there was a lot of Spanish spoken in the town.

Much to my surprise, when we arrive just outside of Myrtle Beach South Carolina and go into Lowe's there is a sign that says "Habla Espanol Aqui." I soon found out that all the local gardening drudge work and many of the construction workers were Hispanic people who most often could not speak English. My guess is that most of these people were illegal immigrants. The South Carolina legislature talks loudly about doing something about it, but the local businesses make considerable use of these people. Hypocrisy.

Neil Benson said...

I wanted to make a separate comment about people coming to America and speaking English. I agree that people who come here should learn to speaking English. But the history of this country is filled with immigrants who barely learned English and remained in isolated immimigrant communities most of their lives. My paternal grandfather spoke English but he was more comfortable speaking Yiddish. I had friends whose grandparents spoke mostly Italian. My concern is when the children and grandchildren don't learn the language sufficiently. Many people from Mexico see themselves as visitors, even though they are here for a long time. This is a real issue.