12 May 2008

Are You Sure You Want to Go There?

I work in accounting. My job is usually quite routine and doesn't require much interaction with our outside sales force. Quite honestly, this is a good thing because I just don't think they are as wonderful as they think they are. I make sure they get their expense reimbursement and commission checks and everyone is happy ... usually ...

Today is Monday, so we must have an exception, right? There has got to be some asshole sales rep who is pissed off that he didn't get laid this weekend he had a
boring weekend and he's got to find someone to take that out on. I understand that, but next time he might want to choose someone other than me.

See, I am relatively easy to get along with, that is until you decide to be a prick demanding. As is the case in all offices, we have a procedure for processing expense checks. It's not a perfect process - there are a few steps that are somewhat repetitive - but if everyone does what they are supposed to do, expense reports submitted by Monday are paid by Friday.

Now, just because I print and mail the checks does not mean I am the one who is holding up your expense check. When I patiently explain to you where the hold-up is in the process (your local bookkeeper, not me at the corporate level), and then empathize with your whiny ass frustration over the delay, I do not expect you to get shitty with me, make unreasonable demands and talk to me like I'm 12. Remember? I am the last person who has a hand on your expense check before it leaves this building.

Oops! Did I miss the mail pick-up today? What? The delivery address was not visible through the window in the envelope? Really? That was $925.75 and not $25.75? I must have made a keying error! Oh! I put that in the wrong overnight envelope - sorry about that!



22 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Hahahaha! I love a good gatekeeper!

As the office manager, and the ONLY person who answers the phone around here, I get some real winners when I deny them what they want! "Well then, let me speak to your boss!" Um, no. :D "I demand to speak to the owner of the company!" Um no.

No matter how many times you call here...I will ALWAYS answer the phone you dimwitted prick!

It does give one some satisfaction to give it right back, doesn't it?

Dana said...

RLL, it was pretty clear that this individual thought he could sweet-talk me into doing what he wanted, and then when that didn't work out for him he decided to switch to bully mode. What he failed to consider is that I've never been so shallow to trust anyone who tries sweet-talk, and I live with the king of bullies, so that tactic doesn't work well either. Sucks to be him *giggle*

Ken said...

Ha, Ha, You got the power!
You can keep'em weepin!

Or make them think they have a slow leak. [I remember one of your other secrets] LOL

Leighann said...

You're so hot when you wear the "devil" costume!

Unknown said...

As the surgeon said when he realized he’d operated on the wrong leg, “Oops.”

Jay said...

Everybody knows that you should never piss off the person who is responsible for getting the checks out. I usually go after the room temperature IQ bimbo in HR. She doesn't have the authority to do anything to me and is too stupid to even if she did. ;-)

minijonb said...

ahhh, office politics. gotta love it.

Dana said...

Micky, I prefer to be direct, but sometimes passive/aggressive is much more effective.

Leighann, I'm thinking the sales rep doesn't like my devil costume!

Nick, "Oops" is a wonderful expression when other words fail.

Dana said...

Jay, HR is a much better target than payroll or accounting!

Minijonb, thanks for stopping by! I don't usually play office politics - it wears me out - but don't bite my head off when I'm not the problem or I'll play ... and I'll play well!

Anonymous said...

Good for you, girl! I always aim to be the type of girl that doesn't take shit off anyone but sometimes it gets heaped upon me anyway. I hope someday to be more of a "put you right in your place" type!

Dana said...

FF, my experience with outside sales reps has been spotty at best. For some reason they tend to be both demanding and demeaning - not a good combination.

Christo Gonzales said...

I have seen your good side *wink* and thats the side I would rather be on...

As American as Apple Pie said...

You go girl! I love having power. It's what I miss about working in an office. Otherwise I couldn't stand the politics...I don't play either.

buffalodick said...

I have to laugh! Our lady who handles expense checks at HQ is always calling me to get mine in on time- I'm always late, because it isn't that much money!

Lu' said...

Hahaha Right on!

captain corky said...

Nice! It sounds like he could use a nice cup of coffee poured over his head. ;)

Karen said...

I know exactly what you mean about people getting nasty when we are only trying to help. And I might use some of you tips on how to get even.

Deech said...

ROTFLMAO! I am in sales so I can relate from the other side of the fence.

Good use of the graphics.

Flyinfox_SATX

Dana said...

DB, maybe I should show him my good side??

Apple, office politics is why I left corporate America - and law firms!

Buff, she is much nicer than I am - I lean towards the "Learn to live with the decisions you make" mindset *wink*

Dana said...

Lu, I'm guessing he won't try that with me again.

Corky, hot coffee over which head??

Karen, it wasn't until I told him I understood his frustration and he said, "You have no IDEA what it's like to have someone holding your money" that I decided passive/aggressive was the way to go!

Dana said...

Flyinfox, oohhhhh ... you are one of THOSE people!! *giggle*

Anndi said...

Don't piss off the accountant... or the person the plant nurse reports to :) hehehe...