10 May 2008

It Was a Beautiful Day For Baseball

I figured it was time for one of those "proud mom" posts, being that Mother's Day is tomorrow!

Today was the first day since Cam's season started that it was actually enjoyable (weather wise) to sit on the bleachers and watch him play, and boy did he (and the team) play ... well after warming up and rolling around in the grass!

Cam is playing first base this year. It seems this coach realizes that his height and good glove would be better used at first base rather than at catcher - the only position he had played the previous two seasons. Having moved into the Major League this year, competition for positions is tough, and there were two other catchers who outperformed Cam. He was a bit disappointed in the beginning, but he seems to be enjoying this new found place on the team.

Although this photo doesn't show it, his hitting has been his strong point. Seven games into the season his average is just under .500. In his two at bats today he had a stand-up double and a strike out - and he went down swinging.

His team won today, 1-0 and they are 5-2 for the season. Oh, and we've managed only one rain out which for a Chicago spring isn't bad at all!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about baseball. Cute pictures though. Glad you had good weather! It's been gorgeous here, too.

I'm the first comment! Wow.

MrRyanO said...

Cool pictures! Sounds like he is doing awesome.

Have a good Mother's Day!

Acrimony said...

Yay! I take this to mean that homework is being completed and turned in on time?

Dana said...

FF, you might have to learn about softball when those girls get a few years older!

RD, he's doing well and the Majors are a lot more fun to watch than the Minor League was!

Tali, so far, so good! Keep your fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the Cam-Man!! I know shit-all about baseball but I do know that a near .500 average is great, so WAY TO GO!! One of mine is talking about playing ball next year so I may have to brush up on my skills. How one of MY kids got some of the sports gene is beyond me. If he didn't look so much like me, I might have some questions for Mama, if ya know what I mean!

Swing away, Cam!!

FMD

Librarian Lee said...

That's not Cam - Cam is just as tall as my waist. Yanno? Of course it's Cam and you must be so very proud! He's a wonderful young man girlie and you should be very confident right about now my friend ~LeeA

Doc said...

Awesome!!!

I hope you enjoy your mother's day!

Dana said...

FMD, I was 10 when Little League was required to allow girls to play, and play I did! First base even! I was thrilled when Cam said he wanted to play.

Lee, he's close to looking me in the eye ... and I'm 6' tall!

Doc, thank you!

Leighann said...

Glad the day turned out good!

I hope the weather and the grades stay up for the season.

Anndi said...

Yay Cam!

It's a Mother's prerogative to boast!

Lu' said...

I like the first pic best. Beautiful face :)

Real Live Lesbian said...

What a cutie pie! And tall! And athletic! Heartbreaker material!

Dana said...

Leighann, what are you trying to do, jinx me??

Anndi, I don't boast often, but when he does well (really well) I always acknowledge his efforts!

Lu, when he was a baby everyone thought he was a girl. He has almost a "pretty" face.

Dana said...

RLL, he turned 12 in March, is 5'-10" tall and wears a men's size 14 shoe. It won't be long before I'm looking up to him!

Unknown said...

What a cutie!!!! And he looks like he is having SO much fun!

Michael M. said...

Great pics. What a lucky dude. Thanks for sharing...

Ken said...

Big tall guy at first, gives everyone else on the team a big target, that's good for the team.
And he bats the high 400's
That's great, be proud!

Dana said...

Bina, he loves him some baseball!

Michael, sometimes I've got to stray from talking about myself and share the love.

Micky, I always thought he'd make a great first baseman - it's been fun watching that process.