14 May 2008

Shared iPod Shuffle

I tend to be a bit of a mean mom an "old fashioned" parent. Cam, 12, does not have a Wii, or any other gaming console for that matter. He does have a PSP which is currently being held hostage until his grades improve. His cell phone is for special event use only (i.e., I'm dropping him off at baseball practice, he's out riding his bike, etc.) and the poor, mistreated child does not have an iPod, instead he has to share mine!

This morning, as I was perusing Google Reader and trying to catch up on my blog reading, I had a seat on the Big Leather Couch and read Vince's iTunes Shuffle Game post. The "rules" are fairly simple - sit down with your iTunes, iPod or whatever mp3 music player you have, select your entire collection to play, make sure your settings are on shuffle all songs, hit play and record the first 3,4,5,6 songs that come up. I decided on 4 songs. I knew this would be interesting - Cam and I listen to very different types of music, but I got a better variety than I thought I would.

First one to play was his and is proof that peer pressure is alive and well. We live in the puckies rural Illinois where Country and Western is an acceptable genre of music for the pre-teen crowd. Now, you won't find any C & W in our home or in our cars, but it lives on the iPod. I had hopes to avoid videos in this post, but this one was only available in a video format.




The second song to play? Well this one is Cam's as well, although I'll admit to listening it on occasion.



Number 3? Well, I was starting to wonder if any of my music was actually going to show up. Again, this one is Cam's, but I was a little surprised to find that he had downloaded the acapella version. I guess his taste in music really isn't too bad!



Finally! Song 4 is actually one of mine, and a Simon & Garfunkel tune at that!



So what's on your iPod that might surprise me?

18 comments:

Doc said...

I don't own an I-Pood... I am rebelling against the MAN and refuse to get one !!

Mike said...

if i could, i would, but i can`t so i wont. lol

in other words i don`t have an ipod :(

Dana said...

Doc, if it makes you feel any better, I bought mine when I was working downtown and had a 90 minute train commute. It was the only thing that kept me sane.

Mike, wow! That's two of you now with a rebellious streak!

Jay said...

I have a Nano. I want an iPod Touch very, very much. It's beyond cool. I need the phone part, but the Touch is awesome.

Leighann said...

I don't have an Ipod either!

My kids ran that Fergie song into the ground, haven't heard two of them until today. You know I dig me some S&G!

Dana said...

Jay, I have a nano too. My husband, who gave me a ration of shit for spending $140 on an iPod just bought himself a Touch. When I asked him how much he spent he said, "I *had* to get the Touch because I couldn't see the text on the smaller ones."

Leighann, what is it about kids and their need to play a song over and over again?

Unknown said...

Well, my mp3 player had a lot of good music on it, so good in fact, that my husband took it. He runs and bikes a LOT and he liked the rock I had on there; The Who, AC/DC, Aerosmith, ZZTop, etc. So I haven't seen it or listened to it in MONTHS!

The 6 percenter said...

My son has a nano. I put some of my music on it, so in a sense, I share it with him. We have a FM transmitter for it in the car and we love plugging into the car once in awhile, especially on long road trips. One of our favorite songs is Queen's Bohemenian Raspondy. I hope I spelled it right.

Knight said...

I have a little nano. I'm not addicted to it but it's great for my two hour a day train commute. Mostly blues and jazz music.
That Timbaland song isn't so bad in the acapella version.

Dana said...

Bina, I've got a wonderful Bose docking station for mine, so I confiscate it regularly, but I'd say my son probably has it 75% of the time.

6%, we've got one of those too, and now that I discovered there are 248 songs on the iPod, I think it's likely we'll be using it quite a bit on our road trip to Washington this summer.

Knight, that's exactly why I got mine, for the commute. Now that my commute is a whopping 6 minutes, it seems kind of silly.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Very Cool... Thanks for playing Dana...

Jay... I have the iPod Touch and it is just fan-f**king-tastic

Lu' said...

I don't own an IPod. I still have a turntable and albumns though.

MrRyanO said...

I have an iPod Shuffle that a vendor gave me. I use it when I cut the lawn and want to ignore the neighbors.

I should try this iTunes post...!

Anonymous said...

So glad I don't have to share my iPod with anyone. That would be one confusing conglomeration of music!

Deech said...

Dana,

Here are a couple of tunes on mine that usually shock the masses.

Crazy Bitch - BuckCherry
Good Christian Woman - TypeO Negative
Bodies - Drowning Pool

Flyinfox_SATX

Jeff B said...

My vote is for Cam's choice with the third song. I like acapella when it is really well done.

Anonymous said...

Dana, can you believe I don't even own an IPod?

Am I the only person in the world??

As American as Apple Pie said...

I have a Nano. It is really awesome and I totally depend on it for running. Probably shocking (but not to those who really know me) would be TobyMac (christian rap), Journey, and piano solos by my friend Vicky Emerson.