21 May 2008

Suicide, The Wedding - Part 4

There are parts of this story that I want to preface with an explanation, or maybe a justification. I want to be able to explain away the things I did - the choices I made. This is one of those times. It is extremely difficult for me to share who I was - likely because I've worked so hard to leave that person behind - and yet that person is still very much a part of me. I've promised myself that no matter how shameful the story is, I will trust the process and wait until the epilogue to share with all of you how I got from there to here with a little bit of dignity still in place.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We were able to put the current landlord off long enough to get my first paycheck from the new employer and pay the deposit and first month's rent on the loft in the city. Little brother had moved in with his girl friend's parents and we had packed up what little we could fit in the back of the Isuzu truck. “A” and I left in the middle of the night, in the cover of darkness, and drove to a rest stop in Minnesota. We spent the night at the rest stop, met the new landlord at the loft the following morning, signed the lease
and moved in.

The loft was beautiful! It was part of a warehouse conversion. It had 8' tall windows, exposed brick interior walls and a sleeping loft. It really was an amazing home for “A” and I. Not long after we moved in, “A” finally secured a job. He was working for a landscape company and one of his coworkers lived nearby and provided transportation daily. For the first time in almost a year, we were both working, we were able to pay our bills and we were once again “respectful” members of society. I even had the opportunity to meet “A”'s grandmother and aunts and uncles who were still living in Minnesota. Things were really looking up. That should have been my warning that the bottom was about to fall out ... again ...

“A” was back in touch with some of his childhood friends. One night he decided to go visit them. I had to work the next morning so stayed at home. I expected him home around midnight and became quite concerned when he still wasn't back by 2 AM – then the phone rang. It was one of those calls – the ones that start with, “The following is a collect call from the county jail. “A” is calling, will you accept the charges?” I should have said “No” and walked away, but I was in love, we were making plans for our wedding, for better or for worse, right?

This was the reason “A” had stayed out of Minnesota. He had outstanding warrants for drug possession charges - this was the reason he moved to California. The party he went to on this night got out of control, the police were called and “A” was taken to jail on his outstanding warrants. There was nothing I could do. We were paying our bills, but we had no extra money for bail. There was no way I was going to ask my family – or his – to help out in this situation. “A” spent the next 30 days in jail and was release on his own recognizance pending his court date. I spent those 30 days drinking myself into oblivion each night.

Just a few days after “A” was released from jail he had, what we would eventually learn was, a panic attack. I had medical coverage through my employer, and after a one-hour evaluation from a “mental health professional”, “A” was prescribed Xanax. Now, in addition to drinking, he was taking multiple doses of Xanax. I had no idea the quantities involved until we attempted to renew the prescription and were denied. Xanax is a controlled substance and refills are handed out on a schedule based on the prescribed dosage. “A” had been taking twice, sometimes three times, the dosage amounts. The meth had been replaced by alcohol and prescription drug addiction.

“A” was not the only one out of control. I started staying late at work, drinking at the bar. They let me drink for free and it was fun to hang out with "normal" people. Some mornings I would go into work and head straight to the bar to pour myself a drink before starting my work day. At least twice a week, I was driving home drunk. “A” lost his job due to his time in jail, and I was carrying the family financially again, only we were falling further and further behind with our finances. I started considering other ways to "earn" money from my employer to cover bills and our planned wedding.

There was a lot of cash that was relatively unaccounted for that came through my office daily. I knew enough about keeping books to be dangerous. The first time I took money from my employer, I took $100 dollars. I didn't spend it, wanting to make sure that I had covered my tracks as well as I thought I had. The money was never missed. Over the next few months, I took somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000 – enough to pay for our wedding and our honeymoon, as well as catch up our delinquent bills.

We looked like such a normal young couple to those looking in, but both of us were in the depths of self-loathing behavior. We often talked about what we were doing – how wrong it was – and how we could make amends when we finally got back on track – and I kept embezzling cash.

We planned our rooftop wedding, we sent invitations to the all of our family members, we made reservations for our honeymoon in Las Vegas and we continued living the lie. We were married at sunset on September 2nd, 1989 and we appeared to be happy. My parents were so impressed with the relationship that “A” and I had, and how far we had come since moving to Minnesota, that they set all of their previous concerns aside. I had become an expert at deception and I hated myself for it.

31 comments:

tt said...

Oh my...you're right. The bottom hasn't fallen out yet. I'm so afraid of where this is going...in fact I'm still going over what I just read and sort it out with the other chapters.
Strangely enough, the life you led is what I had always invisioned happening to myself when I was young...I'm glad it didn't and i so wish it hadn't happened to you. But...events in our lives contribute to whom we become right? And I see you as a strong woman these days. Not perfect and possibly still having inner struggles ( as we all do from time to time)but strong never the less!
The many disquises you've worn... Must have been exhausting.
I still puffy heart ya suga!!!

Anonymous said...

I 2nd TT's "oh my!" That was my exact reaction.

Crazy. I remember 1989 entirely different of course. :P

Can't wait to read the next installment.

Librarian Lee said...

Just sitting silently. I'm with you Dana. Thanks. LeeA

Jeff B said...

Catching-up on the last three installments. You pointed out that from the outside looking in people thought everything was fine with the two of you. How many times in our lives, (all of us) do we wear a mask to hide or cover-up the not so desirable parts of who we are?

I've got to think this is both increadibly difficult for you to tell, but very freeing at the same time.

I aplaud you for opening your soul for us to see. Your past may be far from a Beaver Cleaver episode, but it is real and I have a tremendous amount of respect for you for sharring it.

Christo Gonzales said...

damn...

Knight said...

I wonder what would have happened if you walked away after the call from the jail. Nobody would do that though. Love and survival really messes with a person. I always say passion knows no law. I smell that you are about to get caught and I'm holding my breath for the next installment.
This all just makes me want to know you more.

As American as Apple Pie said...

Whoa. I'm thinking it's a good thing tomorrow is Thurs. I'm thinking everybody needs a breather. I'm thinking I can guess where this is heading...but I don't even pretend to know how you felt. I'm thinking you are an amazing chick whom I feel priviledged that you have shared this with.

Unknown said...

I'm following right along, Dana. You do understand, don't you, that I've been alive and involved with people for so long that nothing in your story has surprised or shocked me?

Blessings to you, my friend.

Jay said...

I agree with Knight. None of us would have walked away after the call from jail. We might wish we would have, but we wouldn't.

Dana said...

tt, the bottom got pretty low for me.

FF, you were probably what? 12 in 1989??

Lee, do you have a cup of tea? I could use one!

Dana said...

Jeff, I'm sure we all do, but mine is getting really heavy. Yes, this has been difficult - I'm waiting for freeing.

DB, in a nutshell ...

Knight, I've questioned just about every choice in this story, and thank you! That was a wonderful compliment!

Lu' said...

I agree with db, although my first thought was dang...

Dana said...

Apple, I'm thinking you may be surprised at where this goes!

Nick, you are one of the few! Some of us have seen and done an amazing amount of living in our years.

Jay, there were times that I knew walking away would have been far less painful.

Dana said...

Lu, I've had that same thought throughout this process!

buffalodick said...

You got into the military after all this? Wow...

Ken said...

I'm thinking it was the military that saved your ass!

They probably offered you an accounting position. Ha Ha

Sorry, I should just keep my mouth shut and listen.

Dana said...

Buff, there was only one thing that even came close to keeping me out of the Army, and we haven't gotten there yet!

Micky, serving in the military definitely turned things around, and I worked in the medical field *wink*

Real Live Lesbian said...

Instead of wondering what would have happened if you hadn't accepted the collect call....

wonder what would have happened if you hadn't taken the money.

What do you think?

As American as Apple Pie said...

It takes a lot to shock me.

Dana said...

RLL, there are MANY choices/decisions I made during that time that I wonder about. Certainly taking the money is at the top of that list. I am not proud of that - it went against everything I *knew* was right - more on that in the epilogue.

Apple, I'm guessing this did ...

Leighann said...

color me speechless....

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

This chapter rings very familiar for me...I can't tell my story on The Couch because too many family members read it but suffice to say, the drugs, the lost work, the embezzling...I know of that from my past and i too and alive and walking and an 'honest' member of society now...

Dana..no matter what we have done in our past, it is how we dealt with it and moved forward that counts and you darlin' have moved forward and are a better person for it all today

Karen said...

It is a familiar story in my family also. Hard to beleive how common it is.

Dana said...

Leighann, it's a side of me well hidden.

Bond, thank you! Knowing that bloggers I *know* and respect are not judgmental of my past is one of the things that has helped me continue with this story.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

SMOOCH DARLIN'

oh and damn girl, Uncle Sam coulda had me enlist if I knew you were going to be there...

Dana said...

Karen, I think one of the reasons we don't see how common it is is that "shameful" behaviors tend to be hidden well in families.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Yeah, I know that you KNEW it was wrong...that wasn't my point. We all have things we wish we'd done differently.

What I'm wondering is...

Did you make the best choice for you at the time? Granted, it wasn't a good choice, but sometimes you just have to take the lesser of two evils.

I am certainly not one to judge...and I'm not. I'm just a wonderer.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Oh and when you're ready to color Leighann...please call me. I have some body paint that works wonders.

I'm thinking red.... and purple...maybe some blue...


;)

Dana said...

RLL, the best choice? As you'll see, all that it really did was prolong the inevidable, and add another layer of shame to the story. Even now, I'm not sure what the best choices were.

When we color Leighann let's make sure she doesn't match. She has this odd obsession about matching *wink*

Leighann said...

I could really care less about matching if the two of you are doing the coloring!

Yum-o!

As American as Apple Pie said...

Hey...can I get in on this coloring? I got an "A" in that in school. *wink*