12 April 2008

Randomness


Can you see that?? It's SNOW ... on April 12th, just 2 weeks away from opening day of little league season. Note the tree. Do you see a single bud even attempting to open yet? Didn't spring start a couple of weeks ago??

______________________________

It's been an interesting week on my blog - high highs and low lows. I got this award from Leighann:


She wrote: Next the award goes to, my pal and every one's favorite Half Nekkid Thursday-er, Dana. She makes me think when I need to, even though I don't want to. Damn her.

I don't know about the favorite Half Nekkid Thursday-er part, but I know there are many people who want to DAMN me *giggle* Speaking of which ...

Seems there are those who believe I am an [QUOTE REMOVED AT THE REQUEST OF THE SENDER - I had edited some "identifying" information from that sentence that appeared in the email and the person who wrote it feels she was misrepresented] Don't visit my blog comes to mind. Come on people, if you don't like what I post, go somewhere else! That First Amendment right goes both ways!

______________________________

Finally, I also wanted to do a quick follow-up on my Autism post. Any of you who have kids with disabilities "non-traditional" kids have likely seen this, but for those of you who don't, this piece does better than anything I've ever read explaining what it is like being the parent to one of these amazing kids.





A Trip to Holland
By Emily Perl Kingsley, 1987. All rights reserved.

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."
But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away...because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss. But...if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

30 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Exhibitionist? Really? You should show more tits and such, then! That'll show 'em! Personally, I think your HNT posts are in great taste. But I'm a certified perv!

As for the Trip to Holland analogy...perfection. What a great way to help the rest of us understand!

MrRyanO said...

Wow! That is a perfect analogy!

Leighann said...

You need to keep that snow in your part of Illinois, I don't want it!

Schmoop said...

It's not snowing here, but it is rainy, windy and 45. This blows.

And by the way, I wish you would refrain from getting perverted kicks posting inappropriate pictures of nekkid, budless trees.

The Holland story is great. Cheers, you slutty exhibitionist, you!!

Jay said...

You're not alone in the cold weather this weekend. It's gonna be down in the 20s with a chance of snow showers here tonight. Here in Arkansas! In mid-April!

WTF is up with all the haters this last week. Several bloggers have gotten hate mail or mean comments. I guess spring time brings out all the haters.

That email probably came from some chick who is just jealous of you. Don't concern yourself with losers like that babe.

Dana said...

RLL, you'll notice I didn't debate the "perv" part of the email, but I was a bit surprised at exhibitionist. It's not like I'm riding on the back of a Harley topless ... but that would make a great HNT!

RD, it's one of my favorite. These kids don't make life "bad", just different, and in many beautiful ways.

Leighann, I'll be more than happy to share!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, *gigglesnort* how dare I post a pic of my nekkid bush?!?!

Jay, it was my first official hate mail and I feel quite special. With the morality police breathing down my neck it almost makes me want to vote Democrat *shudder*

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Teclado e Mouse, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mouse-e-teclado.blogspot.com. A hug.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the award.

Don’t worry, Dana, Spring is coming. A robin the my yard told me so this morning.

Dana said...

Nick, thank you! We've got robin's playing in the snow here!!

I took your advise and placed the blog-fo-mercial on my sidebar. One of these days I'm going to have to rethink my template - the one I'm using now doesn't allow for much on the sidebar.

Karen said...

It was beautiful here the last few days. Things are starting to bloom and such. Sorry about the snow. :(

Christo Gonzales said...

could not have been said more perfectly...

let me be the judge of 'closet exhibitionist' or whatever...

Anndi said...

Exhibits are wonderful, I joy them immensely... good grief...

That's a beautiful analogy... something different is exactlywhat it is.

Lu' said...

Now it is not my intention to rub it in your face but our weather at home, when I got back from where I went, was SPECTACULAR 80 and sunny. Leighann rocks. I dig that Gal. I've met some nice folks here on the net. I've also received a comment here and there that's made me pissed off enough to stop. I just take a chill and say over and over "fuck them". I just looked thru your HNT archives the other day, me being new here, and your photos are lovely. I applaud your nerve and your talent.

Just your everyday average married momma... said...

Sometimes, when I think I miss being up there near Chi-town, I think of shit like this...snow in mid April, meanwhile down here in FL we have been wearing shorts now for a few weeks off and on, but more on than off!!! hmm sounds kinda kinky....

Big Kahuna said...

I am so tired of Snow - I want spring!!!

Anonymous said...

They say when you start getting hate mail, you've arrived. Welcome to you 15 minutes! You know your First amendment well, baby! The Holland analogy was great! I've got a nearly deaf kid, one with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. While not as severe or limiting as some things, they definitely open you up to lots of unconventional child rearing. And as for voting democrat...just say no! By the way, the Harley idea would indeed make a great HNT...think about it.
Take Care
FMD

"Friends don't let friends vote democrat"

Jeff B said...

"You've got hate mail."

Why do idiots like that person feel obligated to puke on others? I guess they are entitled to their opion, but as you said, they can choose to not read your posts too.

I'm sure you're strong enough to not let that one sink in. With or without clothes I still love ya. Even if you are thinking about Matt in the shower!

Dana said...

Karen, hearing about your weather is almost as bad as receiving hate mail!

DB, how nice of you to offer to help out a blogger in need!

Anndi, actually, it's kind of funny that she wrote - her reasoning seems to be that wives/mothers shouldn't do those kinds of things. I started the blog because wives/mothers shouldn't do those kinds of things.

Dana said...

Lu, go away ... go FAR away! Wait! You already ARE far away. Nevermind!

E, sometimes when I think it might be nice to live in Florida I think of hurricanes!

Kahuna, I just want green trees and grass!

Dana said...

FMD, not to worry, even frequent visits from the morality police couldn't get me to go to the dark side.

Jeff, I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me at all, but what's funny is that it didn't bother me that she said it, it bothered me that she clearly didn't get me or the blog. Oh well ...

buffalodick said...

If you're going to have an opinion, you are going to have critics. I guy once told me, when you try to please everyone, no one is pleased...
You don't live that far from quite a few Dutch immigrant enclaves! Holland, MI has a tulip festival every year- when you're about 80 (minimum age for blue-haired bus trips!) I'm sure you'll visit!

Lu' said...

Now why would you want me to go far away? Was it something I said :)

As American as Apple Pie said...

Dana, you are so refreshing. One thing that makes me read your blog daily (or more) is what you wrote in your "About Me" section. So many of us lose ourselves to who our husband, children, & society thinks we should be. ARRRGGGHH!!! I love that you have the courage and guts to put yourself out there and be who you truly are! Don't change a thing. AND, you are not a slutty exhibitionist, you are a classy exhibitionist. ;P

As American as Apple Pie said...

Oh yeah, I also LOVE the Holland story, so perfect. Can I borrow?

Dana said...

Buff, I don't mind critics, in fact sometimes I even learn from them *wink*

Lu, yeah ... ummm ... it was all that talk about spring - that season that hasn't found it's way to Chicago yet!

Apple, I spend a great deal of energy every day fitting in to the mom/wife role that even trying to do that on my blog would be useless! The Holland story isn't mine, so republish at will!

Jo said...

The Holland story was beautiful, I'm glad you shared it.

Damn, you & Jay both are getting hatemail...I feel so inadequate.

Anonymous said...

Dana, I got hate comments over the weekend.. So I had to find out through a comment that I am a stupid blonde....

Coward and asshats on Blogger. LOL!!

I love that Letter you posted also! I want some Mint Cookies!! LOL

Have a great rest of the day!

Kimmie said...

Dana,
Your Analogy of Holland was beautiful. What a lovely Mother you are. Your acceptance of Autism is to be applauded. Many parents throw their children into homes and forget about them. God gave you your son for a very special reason...he knew you would take good care of him and that speaks volumes of the person that you are. Everything that you give him that is positive and loving will make for a very loving and positve man someday. "Children Live What They Learn." I always have been a very big believer in that. Just think of Italy as being overcroweded, and much to my dismay, some children may get overlooked. So many people are to busy making a living that they forget to make a life...and the children tend to suffer because of it. I think God made Holland Special. Parents have to slow down, there is much care needed to raise a child with Autism. God gave a Gift when he created Holland...and these beautiful childen are born and nurtured amongst the beauty of the windmills and the tulips. How grand is that?!!! :-)
Hugs,
Kimmie

Peace Nique said...

A friend sent "A Trip to Holland" to me 15 or so years ago when I was struggling with realities. It's nice to refresh myself now and then. Holland is a nice place to be.