25 April 2008

7 Weird Things Meme

I'm lacking in original thought today so decided I'd do this little meme that I've seen on many of the blogs I read. Of course there are "rules" (i.e. tag other bloggers, blah, blah, blah) and I don't like to follow rules, so I won't be including those in this post.

*RANDOM ODDITY* I haven't seen this meme in months on any of the blogs I regularly read, yet as I was getting ready to publish this my Google reader told me that HAMMER had just posted the same meme. Hmm...

1. I was stationed in Korea for a year when I was in the Army. While there I worked in the Sexually Transmitted Disease Clinic - a very busy place in a country that services service members in a multitude of ways. I've probably seen 300+ service member's ... well ... members ... and many of them were pretty damn scary!

2. I like even numbers - in fact some people might say I have a bit of an obsession with even numbers. The volume on the TV must be set at 8 or 10 - not 9, even if that is the "best" setting, I've been known to wait to take a ticket at a parking garage until the time stamp hits an even number and when I read a book, I always read two chapters so that I end on an even number. There are more, but I'll just keep those to myself lest you start thinking I'm a nut-case.

3. I started playing the clarinet when I was eight and played through my first year of college. I gave it up when the demands of a music major in college made music more work than fun. I miss it terribly and am thrilled that my son has taken up the oboe so that I can live vicariously through him!

4. I am left handed ... kind of. I write left-handed and eat left-handed, but I throw right-handed and sight a weapon with my right eye. Most everything else I can do with either hand, including batting, painting and yes, that too!

5. I have a very visual memory. If I've seen it, even if it was 5 years ago, I know where to find it again. This comes in handy when driving (if I've driven there once I can get there again years later) and when looking for items other's have "lost" (I'll remember exactly where I saw it).

6. I am an only child and have not lived within 1000 miles of either of my parents for over 20 years.

7. The hangers in my closets are color-coded - white in my closet, blue in my husband's closet and black in my son's closet. All garments hang facing the same direction and are grouped by item type and by color. No, I'm not kidding ...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

If you are looking for something to read this weekend, consider visiting Michael over at Daddio's Daily Dose. He's currently posting a series titled Save Thee? Or Sell Thee? that discusses the business of religion in a factual, rather than emotional, manner. It's a great read! While you're there you might want to check out his Mating Growl series as well - in it he talks about mating, dating, kid and marriage lessons (all from a male's perspective). It's thought provoking, funny and insightful!


32 comments:

Karen said...

LOL...That hanger thing suprises me! I would have never thought that you had closet organization OCD. Interesting!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

There is certainly some OCD working in that brain of yours...but anyone that can make a thin mint as sensuous as you did can't be all bad!

Have a great weekend Dana

Deech said...

You and I are exactly alike regarding point # 6.

Flyinfox_SATX

Liquid said...

This was really interesting!
Have a super weekend and thanks for the blog referrals!

I like new blood!

:)-

Acrimony said...

You do realize that only having *1* child makes an odd number, right? ;) I'll give you one of mine to balance it out. Would you like:

The oldest with whom your sons likes to have pecker contests? The middle drama queen or the baby drama queen currently addicted to BLUES CLUES BLUES CLUES BLUES CLUES!?

Dana said...

Karen, I have a few "hidden" OCD issues, but don't tell anyone!

Bond, the good news is that I don't have major anxiety issues if a blue hanger ends up in my closet and being covered in chocolate syrup has never been an issue!

Flyinfox, interesting ... I don't know too many only children and when I do run in to one they are often extremely close to their family.

As American as Apple Pie said...

Dana--not surprising that we have more in common. I'm slightly OCD and have the color-coded hanger thing going on. I also group all my clothes by type.

I'm very visual as well plus I have an internal GPS that also is nice for revisting places years later.

Thanks for sharing the fun!

Dana said...

Liquid, I'm glad you found an interesting nugget in there along with new reading material!

Tali, here's the deal ... It's OK to have just one 12-year old (even number) child, and when he turns 13 I just add one to that (because he is an only child) and he becomes even again! No need to add any more - thank goodness because I'd have to take all three!

Michael M. said...

I can so relate, kind of....My wife and daughter call it my "Inner Monk" after the TV character.

Talisman...you should fast forward to the part in the book we spoke about re: Blues Clues before you go insane. :)

Dana...thanks for the props on my series'. I'll save seats in the front row for your thoughtful visitors to my site. Again, thanks.

Gotta run, the screw head slots on my light switches are not lined up....

Jay said...

LOL #'s 2 & 7 ... OCD much? ;-)

I have everything hanging in the same direction in my closet too. I just don't color code my hangers. haha

Acrimony said...

Talisman...you should fast forward to the part in the book we spoke about re: Blues Clues before you go insane. :)

Michael: I thought about it, but it just seemed like cheating. ;)

Dana said...

Apple, thank goodness I'm not the only hanger Nazi!

Michael, let's hope those front seats fill up! I think people will be pleasantly surprised by what they find.

Jay, not much ... now how many letters did I type? Is it even or odd?? Nahhhh ... I'm not that bad! (78)

runningwildkids said...

I am glad that I am not the only one that does this kind of stuff! The coded hangers is what we do here! The numbers I am the odd person! Those are good odd ones!

L said...

If you miss the clarinet you should start it up again and play. I played for many years as well as playing a few other instruments. It's such a great experience. :O)

Leighann said...

I don't like odd numbers either, that's why I'm on my second husband and had four kids.

Aren't you the one who eats their Peanut M&M's just like me? Two at a time but they each have to be the same color?

If you've seen my sanity lately, can you kindly lead me in it's direction?

Dana said...

Running, thank goodness it was 7 weird things and not 6, huh?? And you'll notice I had to add that random oddity to make it 8 *giggle*

Womensdaily, I've considered joining a community band - we'll see if I get brave enough!

Leighann, SSHHHHH!! Now you're telling people about my need to sort my M&M's by color - they are really going to think I'm nuts!

Real Live Lesbian said...

#3: I have a HNT in mind! ;)

#6: I'm an only child and have never lived more than 150 miles from my parents. But it's okay...150 is an even number.

tt said...

you put those interesting factoid with the other 10l,000 things we don't know about you and we've still got a hellava-cool-groovey-kickass-HNT-fuckin'-interesting- kinda gal-blogger.
How's that?
I say this with tons of affection...seriously! :)

Dana said...

RLL, can you say Band Camp??? *evil grin*

Lu' said...

Hubby is the same way with his clothes, not the hanger color, but all shirts face the same direction and are placed by color and type. For t-shirts that includes what's on them. I wash them but he can put the shit, um I mean shirts away.

Christo Gonzales said...

FREAK....lol...just kidding..no wait just half kidding...

Dana said...

tt, you make me blush!

NuLu, I *heart* your husband - at least that part of him!

DB, from you I'll take that as a compliment!

Unknown said...

The hanger thing is great. I do that. Mine are green, husband's are orange (tennessee vols fan-everything is orange!) oldest daughter is hot pink, baby girl's pink, baby boy's blue, and white for whatever the babies can share. The clothes all face the same way, they are all organized by type in the closet, and the babies have their outfits all together with bottoms clothespinned onto hanger, shirts over the top, and any hats/belts, looped around top of hanger. This is actually a timesaver to get clothes into the right closets, and to find them when in a hurry. The baby outfits are together so that any idiot (daddy) can get them dressed.
And I must say there was nothing OCD about that HNT post, unless of course there were several layers of protection under you to catch the chocolate. Of course you probably could have found someone to lick up the stickyness for you if you had just asked the faithful readers. Maybe a contest for a similar post. LOL

Jahooni said...

I am back. Loved last post! ;)~
But #6 disturbed me. And #7, gawd, we are awful. sick. i am taking any color i want ;)~

Unknown said...

Weird? I found only items 2 and 7 truly weird.

Ken said...

Interesting! You really are letting us into your closet!

I have this thing that I'm always lining things up with my eyes. Like, when sitting or relaxing I'll keep my toe lined up with a crack in the floor or a table leg. Or I'll move my head to keep something in line with something else. Same weird stuff.

buffalodick said...

Your left-handedness is small motor skills- way more common than all left handed(like me!) I do number 5 just like you! One odd obession I have is that the money in my wallet has to be in descending order by denomiation.

none said...

All very interesting.

The hangers...a bit weird.

The throwing with the right hand is too ;)

Dana said...

Amber, I'm quite surprised that so many of us share the hanger weirdness!

Micky, yes, it was time for me to come out of the closet!

Buff, guess what? I do the money thing too - in addition to it being in descending order by denomination, it also needs to all be facing the same direction!

Dana said...

Hammer, I'm not sure what happened with the throwing, especially since I'm a switch hitter!

Schmoop said...

Ha. I am left handed as well but only writing and eating too. Oooo Weeee Ooooo. I bat and throw right handed. Are we related? Cheers!!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, I'm starting to get concerned! Is it incest if we are and I still have a blog crush on you??