23 January 2008

Cult or Religion?


There's a new blog I've been reading regularly called Apathy Lounge written by Anastasia. I found her through Tink's Golden Spork Awards (yes, I really do try to hit the blogs you all find worthy of reading). I like the Apathy Lounge, primarily because Anastasia's views are quite different from mine (read that as far more liberal leaning - generally - than mine). I always find reading well written opinions that are quite different than mine thought provoking.


Yesterday, she wrote a post asking her readers if they could ever vote for a political candidate who was a Scientologist (you can read the post HERE, but pretty please come back when you are done). Now, I've read some of L. Ron Hubbard's stuff, and although it's not my cup of kool aid tea, I didn't find it offensive or WAY off the deep end. Apparently I'm the exception (why does that always happen to me?).

My comment on the post was that religion doesn't factor into my vote. Little did I know that most everyone else was operating out of the mindset that Scientology is not a religion. Just for shits and grins, I looked up definitions for both "cult" and "religion" (both listed here are from
www.dictionary.com and are the first definition listed):

RELIGION - a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs

CULT - a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies

I don't know, but I'm seeing very little difference in these two definitions. Not only that, but I'd even go out on a limb and say that most (if not all) religions, at least loosely, fit in to this definition of cult.

Before anyone gets their panties up in a bunch here, I'm not knocking anyones belief system. If you go to church/temple/synagogue, and that makes you happy, by all means have a great time, just don't come knocking on my door on Sunday morning because I might just answer it naked!

So let me pose theses two question to all of you. In your opinion, is Scientology a religion or a cult? Why do you define it that way?

17 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

it is evolving into a religion, I first encountered in Clearwater, Florida in the Late 70's early 80s and at that time it seemed cultlike

Dana said...

DB, maybe that's why I'm more comfortable with it? I remember it 30 years ago when it *did* seem more like a cult. Now, it's a celebrity fad.

Jay said...

I think it's not so much that cults aren't religions, is that people who are members of cults often time end committing mass suicide or setting off cyanide poison bombs in the subway in Tokyo and build up huge caches of weapons in compounds in Waco Texas. Not to mention humans taking over the "role" of Jesus or God like David Koresh did in The Branch Davidians and as L. Ron Hubbard did for Scientology.

People are free to join those cults, I guess, but it does bug me when they force their kids to do so, but that's a whole other discussion.

Anyway, Anastasia is a great writer. Her blog is a lot of fun.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Um, I'm going to need an address for you...

see you Sunday!

I think Jay's right. They always have some wack-job leader guy that has a God complex. Plus, they have a tendency to cut you off from your family and friends because THEY are now your family and friends.

Schmoop said...

I agree that the definitions are pretty similar. Considering that, Scientology is a religion in my opinion. But just like all religions, human involvement can bastardize the belief system.

With that being said, I'll be right behind Real on your Sunday doorstep. Not a bad place to be actually. Cheers!!

Jeff B said...

Sounds like you're going to have quite the "following" at your house this Sunday. The Holy order of Danainthebuff.

I saw an eight minute interview of Tom Cruise talking about Scientology. What a frigin nut case. Of cousre he may well say the same thing about me calling myself a Christian.

I think it's pretty easy to call most organized religions a cult if your not a part of it.

Dana said...

Jay, just for the record, Timothy McVeigh was babtised Roman Catholic.

Anastasia *is* a great writer and I am thrilled to have found her blog.

Dana said...

RLL, Illinois is quite a drive!

Matt-Man, I find Scientology interesting, but also believe that Tom Cruise hasn't exactly been a good steward.

Dana said...

Jeff, The Holy order of Danainthebuff, now that is funny!

Anonymous said...

I would say cult, but I don't have any knowledge of it so I shouldn't say. It is bad to say cult, Billy-Bob Clinton or Janet Reno could hear you and approve the mass slaughter of Americans by Americans, atta boy Billy, let Islamic radicals bomb the World Trade Center and the USS Cole but be goddang sure some freak in Waco doesn't have a sawed off shotgun, he could possibly kill far to many squirrels! Look out Tom Cruise, and be careful how you vote! Think about it folks.
Mrs Dana I bet on you over at my place.

captain corky said...

I personally think I make a good Cult leader. I have no plans on committing mass suicide with my followers though. Just a little... sex, and maybe some mild drug use. Nothing wrong with any of that kind of good clean fun. ;)

Doc said...

If scientology is what I have heard it is then it seems like a religion turned into a cult. That and Tom Cruise used to be somwhat normal before he became one of them.

buffalodick said...

It doesn't matter to me. Every religon all start out small and cult-like, but if they have converts, money, and are still around long after the founder dies- people start calling it a religon...

Dana said...

SS, it really is all about perspective.

Corky, didn't we have this discussion??

Doc, Tom Cruise would be a nut case without Scientology (IMHO)

Buf, that's where I am with the topic, but was surprised by other views.

Unknown said...

I believe it originated as a cult...similar in sense to the Family that followed Manson, but as any cult can it evolved into a religion, albeit a still growing religion. Actually all religions are growing, even those that think they were the first forever transform to meet the needs of one or many.
Does religion factor into my voting....yeah a little, I have trouble with people like say, Georgie W. who claim to talk to God.

Michael M. said...

Using the definition, Scientology is a religion. I suspect they shy away from being labelled as such because it would limit their ability to market themselves. Religion brings out too much bias in people dontchaknow.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. All religious zealots can take a long walk off a short pier if you ask me. If they want to keep it themselves among consenting adults though, then more power to them.

g-man said...

Note to self: Visit Dana on Sunday morning. ;)

I agree with your interpretation of the definitions, My personal differentiation of the two ... The more I thought about it the more I could not compare one to the other without each having similar properties. I think you are correct in saying that it is all a matter of perspective. Very thought provoking.