12 January 2008

Lite


My posts have been kind of heavy these days, so I thought it was time to lighten things up and post some good news!


I got a job offer on Thursday! This is an interesting situation as I have been applying for both paralegal positions and accounting positions (my pre-degree field) in order to increase my chances of securing a job within the 6 month window of unemployment. This job offer happens to be in the accounting field. Although I really want to work in my degree field, there are some significant benefits to this position:


  • I really do enjoy the ROUTINE of accounting. One of my frustrations in working in the legal field are the constant changes in priorities - that is a skill I have, but one that causes me a great deal of anxiety.

  • This position is less than FOUR miles from my house. It is actually in our little town of 3,500 people and is a company I could reasonably stay with as long as we live here.

  • Since there is no commute, the hours work well with my family responsibilities.

  • The pay is well within the range that I need to contribution to the household budget.

This was the FIRST time that I've ever sent a counter offer to an employer. There were a few things that would have made this more of the perfect job for me, so I decided to ask for the following:



  • A base salary increase to compensate for the fact that I will not be participating in their medical/dental insurance [GRANTED]

  • A small change in working hours (they indicated there was some flexibility and I am asking to start and end my day 30 minutes earlier)[DENIED, but for good business reasons - I will be supporting the west coast branch offices]

  • Paid vacation in June (an already planned trip to San Antonio for my nephews HS graduation)[GRANTED]

I learned a lot about myself and my priorities these past three months. Unlike my husband, money is NOT my strongest motivator, and I cannot make it the most important thing in my job search. Being available for my family son, finding that balance between work hours and family hours, is really the most important thing in my life. It also became quite clear that, although I really enjoy the field of law, I don't enjoy working in the field of law. Maybe I should have gotten my degree in accounting?

15 comments:

MrRyanO said...

Dana! Congrats!!! This is awesome and I wish you lots of luck!

DO you have some sexy business suit...I mean professional attire??? LOL

You grabbed the bull by the horns and got it done! I am impressed!!!

buffalodick said...

Try it! Might work out great! They wouldn't call it a "job" if it was fun....Best of luck always!

Jay said...

Congrats!!!

That's awesome! You kick ass!

It sounds like a great situation for you and your family.

Schmoop said...

As Meat Loaf said, "Two out of three ain't bad." Congrats Dana. Cheers!!

Doc said...

Congrats Dana that is fantastic news! and way to go on the negotiating thing too... you drive a hard bargain!

Dana said...

RockDog, when you are the FIRST person to read my post and there is a GLARING spelling error, you must let me know! BTW, I think I got the job due to the fact that I wore a lacey shell and my push-up bra under my conservative business suit. I interviewed with two men *gigglesnort*

Buffalodickdy, I'm actually pretty excited about this one.

Jay, thanks! This isn't where I thought the job search would take me, but I do believe I got there for a reason.

Dana said...

Matt-Man, I love that song!

Doc, I usually shy away from negotiating - it's that "no" factor that concerns me, but I had this moment of clarity when I figured out that the only way I could possible hear "yes" was if I was willing to hear "no"

You can Call me AL said...

Congrats Dana!
You decide if it's a destination or a journey. If you find you don't like it, it's much easier to find employment while employed.

captain corky said...

Congrats! But I hope your job doesn't interfere with blogging!

Remember, priorities, Dana. ;)

Unknown said...

You know I am so proud that you negotiated and for the most part it worked - I understand supporting the West Coast I had to do that at my job, before I couldn't work again.

Oh sweets, if you would read my poem, voting is open now:
http://wannabeawritersomeday.blogspot.com/2008/01/i-am-entering-poetry-contest-yikes-and.html
Voting ends 1/15 but you can share this link with other poetry lovers.

When is your first day working?

Dana said...

Al, agreed! Far less pressure in finding a job when you still have that paycheck coming in.

Corky, that was one of my first concerns too! What will happen to the blog?? But, with my hours and non-commute, I'll still have plenty of time to amuse all of you.

Penelope, I was quite proud of my negotiating as well. I start January 28th.

g-man said...

Sounds sweet. My wife's work was about a mile from our house, she used to walk on nice days. :) Being that close definitely has benefits. One of the drawback are that your car wont get warm before you have to get out. :)

Good luck with all that.

Jeff B said...

Way to go Dana. That is so good to hear.

Best of luck, I know you'll kick butt at it.

Dana said...

G-Man, if a cold car is the worst of it, I'll embrace the shivers!

Jeff, thank you!

R.E.H. said...

Heeey... girl!

Congratulations on getting a job. And you got your demands too (most of them). This should certainly make life all that much easier (financially, at least).

Hope you will enjoy the job - and go kick some accountant ass!