02 January 2008

Looking Back

I'm a bit slow in posting this, but it's been a difficult post to write. By nature I am an optimist - usually seeing the glass half full. In fact, I've often wanted to be more of a pessimist as I've thought that expecting things to fall apart, and then having them fall apart, would be much easier than expecting a good outcome and then having things fall apart. The problem? Well, there is this side of me that knows we usually get what we expect, and if I expect bad things to happen, guess what? They usually do!

Back to my post ... 2007 was an extremely challenging year for me as an individual, as a mom and as a wife. I didn't want this reflective post to be a downer as each of my challenges has, to some extent, resulted in a positive change in my life. At the same time, it was important to me to be honest - sometimes life sucks and about the best you can hope for is to just get through it.

A few of the highlights ... and the lowlights ...

2007 was the year I went from this

To this


Yes, I am gloating - losing 70 lbs was an amazing goal for me to attain. What, you might ask, could be negative about this? My husband was far more comfortable with my appearance, and my attitude, at the beginning of 2007 than he is with me now. My weight loss has resulted in some challenges in our relationship, both for him and for me.

I've also discovered that after 40, the body does not quite bounce back to it's original form after significant weight loss. Not only do I have to struggle daily to maintain the weight loss, there is much firming and toning work to be done.

2007 was the year that my husband secured a new corporate position where his skills and knowledge are being recognized and rewarded. Unfortunately, this position came about FOUR months after he walked out of his previous high-paying, corporate job without having a job to go to. Four months of unemployment, without being eligible for unemployment benefits, put us in a financial position that we are now only beginning to climb out of.

2007 was the year that I finally secured my dream job - the first position I ever held that was actually in my degree field. It promised to meet every expectation I had and was the realization of a goal I set when I finished my degree in 2006. Yet just four moths into the position, I was told I wasn't a good "fit" and now I am questioning if all of the hours I put in to finishing my degree were in vain and if my degree is a good "fit."

2007 was an odd year for me. The highs were amazingly high, and the lows were extremely dark. I want to look back on the year and celebrate the achievements, yet I don't want to let the lessons go unrecognized.

I know that 2008 is a clean slate. Sure, there is some baggage that must be carried in, but it doesn't have to be stacked up in front of me as an insurmountable obstacle. I start this year with the realization that there is balance in all things - a price to pay for the failures as well as the successes. I look forward to negotiating that price.

19 comments:

Schmoop said...

Weight loss, employment situation...You and I have had a very similar 2007.

"a price to pay for the failures as well as the successes. I look forward to negotiating that price."

Well said, Dana. Cheers!!

MrRyanO said...

I wish you nothing but the best in 2008! Kick ass, take names (whatever that means) and Rock ON!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, you have my sympathies ... or is that my congratulations? I've decided the price is always negotiable!

RockDog, I'm starting that list of names now. Not sure what I'll do with it, but I'm sure I'll figure it out!

Jay said...

Losing 70lbs is an amazing accomplishment. Congrats on that!

If I lost 70 lbs I would be stopping random strangers on the street tell them all about it. LOL

Hope 2008 is a great year for you!

Leighann said...

"a price to pay for the failures as well as the successes. I look forward to negotiating that price."

I like that!

R.E.H. said...

I can't get past those before and after shots! That is a fantastic change you have done there!

I lost almost as much weight, but it doesn't show THAT much on me (it sure shows, and I'm pleased with it... but your transformation is amazing).

Good luck with everything in 2008, and lets hope it will be all about the highs - never mind the lows.

Dana said...

Jay, sometimes I want to do just that, but I'm thinking they might call the police!

Leighann, just call me the great negotiator.

REH, thanks! And congratulations on your weight loss too!

You can Call me AL said...

Wow! Good Work losing 70lbs!

I'm working on shedding a few pounds and letting go of some of my responsibilities at work for 2008.

Good Luck to you and your family, sounds like you have all the tools you need to succeed in 2008.

buffalodick said...

Thanks for sharing honestly. Your weight loss is fantastic- and you look it, too! Sometimes when one person in a relationship shows great improvement, while the other struggles with self-worth is awkward, to say the least. Out of sync is frustrating. It leads to discord, even though we all should be happy for the other person. I wish you the best in 2008! Not one to whine, but my upcoming year could be very challenging on alot of fronts...

Anonymous said...

Damn that was a tough ride it appears. Well all you can do is all you can do, and you only really have 2 choices.
#1. quit and give up.
#2. Put your big girl panties on pull em up tight and carry on.

I haven't been here long but you strike me as a BGP girl and no quitter.
Good luck.
SS

Dana said...

Al, good luck on the weight loss. It's a struggle, but well worth it!

Buffalodickdy, I know it's no fun reading "The world is a pissy place" blogs, but sometimes the world *is* a pissy place!

Southern Sage, yes, I am most definately a BGP kind of gal. Trust me, this past year was nothing compared to some I've had in the past! 2008 is full of promise and hope!

none said...

I'm a newcomer but it sounds like a successful year overall.

Hope 2008 is even better.

captain corky said...

Congrats on the weight loss! Hopefully your husband will adjust.

2008's going to be great!!! Sorry... I can't help myself. ;)

Real Live Lesbian said...

You look AMAZING! If your husband doesn't like who you are now...he's a fool.

I'll give you one piece of advice from Suze Orman that I gleaned from watching her last night. Never put yourself on sale. Get what you deserve. Demand to be paid and appreciated.

You are a wonderful woman. You will find your fit!

Dana said...

Hammer, of course 2008 will be even better! It's all about attitude!!

CPT, if he doesn't adjust, I might just have to!

RLL, you always know the right thing to say to make a girl feel warm and fuzzy!

Marilyn said...

You look great!

I've been up and down on the weight scale and the Husband never reacts the way I figure he will... funny that my body should affect things so much and he can do whatever he wants with his.

Anyway, I expect 2008 will be better than 2007 for me and hopefully you also.

Unknown said...

Your weight loss is wonderful...any tips for me?

Momkiss said...

U look FAB and I bet u feel healthier. Hubby can kiss your sweet little butt and the ground you walk on! Happy 2008.

Michelle Hix said...

Your honesty is refreshing. Sounds like you have a lot to look forward to in 2008!