30 August 2008

Priceless

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A 54 mile trip into the city in holiday weekend traffic?

1 hour and 57 minutes of complete aggravation and a $32 parking fee.















Great Belgian beer (Maredsous, Delirium Tremens and Oud Beersel)?

$7 per goblet








Steak Frites (grilled Dakota Beef organic NY Strip with maitre d’ butter or lemon-horseradish butter; and Belgian-style frites)

... and ...



Duck Reuben (on marble rye; Pekin duck breast, slow-roasted, w/cranberry cream cheese spread,
house-made sauerkraut, emmenthaler, and pommes frites)?

$34 dinner tab








Chocolate Lava Cake

... and ...





Apple Fritters?

$16 dessert tab










Watching the Neo-Futurists perform, "Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind," the longest-running show in Chicago today? (In case you are wondering, "ars longa vita brevis" translates to "Life is short, [the] art long."





$7 plus the role of one die










Meeting yet another blogger?

Priceless!


This is Moose, also known as Nicolle. I first heard Moose's name when reading the archives over at Osbasso's place (Yes, I do read archives - I'm a geek like that). It was soon after that I started reading her blog.

She was in town this week for an annual work-related conference and had a Friday night to fill with activities. Fortunately, she is a social planner - even when in my neck of the woods - so much so that I feel like I should thank her for her hospitality!

A great time was had by all!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

28 comments:

Osbasso said...

Oh, sure. Make me look cheap for only getting greasy pizza and... Next thing you know, you'll tell us she didn't get you hammered, either! ;-)

Glad you had fun!

we're doomed said...

Looks like a good time was had by all.

Dana said...

Os, she'd have had a difficult time getting me hammered - remember? I drink like a fish!

Doomed, thanks for stopping by! Yes, we really did have a great time! Nothing like a girl's night out!

rage said...

The food looked yummy!

*Although I am not too sure about the cranberry cream cheese spread (and I love cream cheese, mind you)*

Let the good times roll!

Jay said...

What a great time! I'm so jealous of all the bloggers that get to meet other bloggers since I have yet to meet any.

And Duck Ruben? Oh yes! Freaking awesome!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh that does sound like a great time! Glad you had fun. :)

Baby said...

I was sold on the Belgian beer - how fantastic that all sounds - I am quite green with envy!!!

Liz Hill said...

That is awesome!

Biscuit said...

That's awesome! I've met one blogger, but I kind of feel like he doesn't count because he's from my hometown, we were kind of "introduced" to each by a mutual friend who realized we both lived in the DC area. But, he has become a very good friend.

You can Call me AL said...

Duck Reuben with house made sauerkraut... that sounds awesome!

The compound butter surprised me, not many places serve that anymore with all the FAT police around. I miss restaurants having compound butter to enhance the flavor.

Sounds like you had some Good Eats.

Dana said...

Rage, it was fabulous! If there is one thing they do right in Chicago it is food!

Jay, the Duck Ruben was mine and it was mouth watering!

FF, it was a great time with a great new friend!

Dana said...

Baby, the Belgian beer - especially at 8% and 9% alcohol content - was memorable!

Turnbaby, I feel somewhat "privileged" every time I get to meet a fellow blogger.

Biscuit, we're headed out to Maryland next summer on our road trip *wink*

Dana said...

Al, I have to say the Duck Reuben was likely the best Reuben I have ever eaten! The compound butter? Well, we are talking about the city that just couldn't live with the law banning foie gras!

Trée said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. Great smiles. :-)

Happy Holiday Dana.

Dianne said...

Wow those are two of the brightest smiles on the planet!

All the photos make the evening look fantastic, well maybe not the traffic but sometimes being in the car is the only time I'm alone :)

Jeff B said...

Those two smiles say it all. Glad you got out and had some you time.

Anonymous said...

Oooooo, that sammich looks good!

34 dollars? I try to keep meals out with my family of 6 around that same price ;)

Glad ya'll had a good time, Dana!

Vixen said...

I love blogger meet ups. Sounds like a great time! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun
grub looks fit and cheap too!

Big Kahuna said...

Dana - Sounds like a full evening of merriment!! Every time I am in CHI I try to get Garrett's Popcorn - Love the cheese corn there!

On another note: Thank you so much for your support of Babushka and I during our long process.

Kahuna

Ken said...

I agree about the smiles...it says it all!

Dana said...

Trée, *giggle* You should have seen the first picture where I was concentrating and forgot to smile!

Dianne, we were having fun!

Jeff, me too! It was great to focus on nothing other than having fun.

Dana said...

Slick, that sammich was one of the best I've ever eaten!

Vixen, me too! When are you coming to Chicago?? *wink*

Sage, the grub was beyond fit, and the company even better!

Dana said...

Kahuna, next time you're in Chicago let me know and I'll meet you for some Garrett's! And you and Babushka will always have my support!

Micky, that could have just been the beer *wink*

Biscuit said...

Seriously? You're coming my way? Awesome!

Richard said...

It looks like it was worth the time. The food looks delicious.

Moosekahl said...

Dana...you were fabulous company! I had a wonderful evening and am glad you had a good time as well. Your trip home was definitely shorter as well, thanks for braving the traffic to hang out with little ole me! We'll have to do it again!

Unknown said...

That is great Dana! You have two bloggers in the last month! You lucky thing you.

And you look so pretty in that picture! And geez, all that food? Did you really eat ALL of it??? LOL