03 May 2012

I found them! I found them!

~*~

The blogs, that is!

There are more of you out there than I thought, and it appears I need to stalk some of your blogrolls.

Odd ... I used to do just that back in the early days, but for some reason haven't done it much at all lately.

I'm going to do a little "shout-out" to those of you who commented on my last post in a minute, but thought I'd comment a bit on a blog post I recently read titled Seven Reasons Why Blogs Fail (not from a blog I would regularly read, but I did find this post interesting) since I have run into so many of those as of late.

*NOTE* Numbered items are Paul T. McCain's - comments following the numbered items are mine.

(1) They offer little more than constant axe-grinding and carping on a particular subject.
I've been known to get stuck in this pattern, usually as a result of being stuck in life. I think it happens to all of us occasionally, but I agree - a blog that consistently bitches, whines, and moans? Gets removed from my reader.
(2) They lack focus and purpose.
There was an influx of these a few years back. Everyone decided they could be (and were) a writer. A bit of advice? Not everyone is. tumblr absorbed a lot of those.
(3) They indulge too much in playing to the crowd.

I lovingly call these troll bloggers. They are the people who write to intentionally create controversy. Personally? Depending on the subject matter? I like these blogs. No comments needed regarding my alleged participation in this type of blogging.
(4) They do not serve the niche they are trying to reach. 
I would change this to "They do not serve a niche". The successful blogs I read have a niche - the are aware of who their readers are and they continue to deliver what their readers want.
(5) They are not comfortable in “their own skin.” 
I see this most often with the stereotypical mommy-blogger. If you are going to write a personal blog, it's difficult to connect with your readers if you portray your life as one filled with glitter, kittens and perfect snowflake children ALL OF THE TIME. People know better, and they want you to acknowledge that you are human.
(6) They are insincere or desperate cries for attention.
I used to stumble on these a lot during the HNT days. "LOOK! I HAVE BOOBS (or a PENIS)! HERE THEY ARE (it is)!!" was the theme of many of "sex blogger" blogs. I'm pretty sure all of those people moved to tumblr too ...
 (7) They don’t have a plan for regular posting.
*snort* This is ... yeah ... this is HARD! Most of us who blog will never make a living at it (no matter how much we might want to) and this is the primary reason.

 What would you add to Paul T. McCain's list?

***

A special shout-out to the REAL bloggers who commented on my post last week (in order of when they commented):
Bilbo's Random Thought Collection (Bilbo)
Billions of Versions of Normal (Mike)
Nick's Bytes (Nick)
Namaste By Day (Gina)
Blue Eyed Bader (adult content)
Project 365 | A picture a day...and maybe more (don't let the name fool you - there is always a quote and a blog post attached to each of her photos - Sujomi)
I'm With Stupid (This might be one of those "troll blogs" I mentioned above - Jay and Matt)
DuckButt
Another Suburban Mom (Veronica)
~*~

7 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

I definitely lack focus and purpose. Cheers Dana!!

Matt-Man

I'm With Stupid said...

I take EXTREME issue with being called a "troll." It's very hurtful.

I also wonder what his, your or anyone else's idea of "successful blog" is.

Jay

Dana said...

Matt, SQUIRREL!

Jay, but you are the cutest, sweetest, most adorable troll I've ever met!! You know I meant that as a term of endearment, right?

On a "successful" blog? I think we all set goals for our blogging, and I would say that as long as we are moving towards those goals (whatever they are), we are successful bloggers.

Take, for example, mommy-bloggers (because I like to pick on them). If you are a mommy-blogger and your goal is to document all of the positive, happy times in your child(ren)'s life, then it really doesn't matter much if you connect with anyone, does it?

Another Suburban Mom said...

Glad you found some reading. Personally my blogging changes with my life, and I also fight between keeping my blog quiet until I have something to say or just posting so there's content, and its a tough juggling act.

Nolens Volens said...

I lost focus when I put my sex life on hold for some prestige. Now I have rediscovered myself and I am still having fun. ;)

Mike said...

('2) They lack focus and purpose.'

Matt-man stole my comment. That troll!

Sujomi said...

Awwww, thanks Dana!