22 May 2012

Behind The Secret

~*~

Soooo ... about Sunday's secret ...

I waited until late Sunday night to post it and did not promote it on my social media accounts because? Well, because I am disgusted with my behavior. Admitting publicly that I had done the very thing I've criticized other parents for doing was ... humiliating.

It's really easy to post something all Judgy-McJudgy like Get Off My Lawn. It's much more difficult to post something that sheds light on one of your major flaws - one that has been around a while - one that you would rather no one ever knew about you.

I published it because I needed to be held accountable for it, not only for Cam's benefit (because doing his homework does nothing more than bail him out - again), but for the benefit of Mike's and my relationship.

See? Mike wasn't very happy about my decision to do Cam's homework (understandably so) and because I have made a commitment to be transparent in this relationship (something I have never done in any relationship), I didn't hide from him what I was doing.

I knew that doing it was wrong. I knew that my justification for why I was doing it was wrong. There was simply nothing right about what I was doing, and Mike did not let me sneak by without expressing his disappointment and disdain for my choice.

I will not offer any justifications here. I will simply say that I want nothing more than to get my son through school because I am tired of parenting him. These 16 years have not been easy and I want my life back.

The problem is that it's not my turn to have my life back. I've got 2 more years of very hands-on parenting to do - hands-on parenting that should not will not include any more high school homework.

~*~
 (14/365)

5 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

Did you charge him? You should have made him pay something.

Jay

Mike said...

Did you train him? Was he sitting beside you while you explained everything to him?

Another Suburban Mom said...

At least you can help him. If my kid came to me with HS level math homework, he would either have to wait for Hubman to come home, or I would have to hire a tutor.

Knight said...

What Jay said.

Anonymous said...

um ya we all do this...its called mothering and you will do ANYTHING for your child.....will people who have no children understand.nope...move on go forward...for this you have passed the parent test.