19 May 2012

Saturday Share - GroceryBudget101

~*~
SHARE icon takes you to the featured site!
I am one of those people who, if I won $5M playing Powerball? I'd still be shopping at Walmart and using coupons.

I don't do excess well. I don't like to waste anything, including food. I strive for efficiency.

Mike and I have been spending quite a bit on groceries each week. It is easily our biggest monthly expense (more than rent). Although we usually go in with a list based on a weekly menu, we also buy a lot of prepared foods.

I've been looking for ways to save money on our groceries. I'd really like to cut our grocery budget in half (that's pretty aggressive) but am trying to be sneaky and gradually make the change (*SHHHHHHH! Don't tell Mike!*).

While reading a (then free, now $3.49) Kindle download titled 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month, I stumbled on GroceryBudget101 - a website that includes forums, recipes, and a new $50 Weekly Menu posted each week.

Although I'm not quite ready to go all Food Nazi on my family, I am striving to try at least one, low-cost dinner dish each week.

What are your favorite ways to save on groceries?

~*~
(12/365)

2 comments:

Mike said...

'Mike and I have been...'

This phrase still makes me go 'What.wait..' Is it too late for him to change his name?

'..favorite ways to save..'

Move the kids out.

I'm With Stupid said...

I make a list. Several lists actually. I get the items I want at the place where they're the cheapest. Some stuff at Aldi, some at the regular grocery store, some at Walmart and some at Dollar General. Living in a small town means that I don't waste gas going to multiple locations.

Also, coupons if someone else has something for a great deal. Like when Walgreens has 5 twelve packs of Pepsi for only $12.

Jay