25 February 2011

Friday Wrap-Up


~*~*~


There have been some significant policy changes at work that have impacted my ability to stay connected during the day - specifically a new "Electronic Media Use Policy" or, "Don't you dare log on to the internet or pick up your cell phone between the hours of 8:30AM and 5:00PM."

The official policy reads, in part:

Company computer systems, e-mail, internet connections, etc. are to be used for Company business only. Personal cell phones must be turned off or silenced during working hours, unless used for business purposes. Personal cell phone calls and/or text messaging is prohibited during work hours. Exception: Employees may have reasonable personal use of e-mail, internet connections and personal cell phone during non-business hours (i.e. lunch hour).

Violation of this policy may result in revocation of internet access and/or immediate termination.


I get employer concerns regarding productivity, but ... ummm ... yeah ...

~*~

Speaking of work, performance reviews were given this week. To say mine was mediocre would be an overstatement, and I deserved the less than wonderful rating.

What I find bothersome is that the area I took a (deserved) BIG hit in has been at the same level for three years, but suddenly became an issue this year. It would have been nice had it been addressed during my first (or even second) year of employment here as it really is a critical job function.

More on this debacle next week. It is post-worthy.

~*~

I've been going to the gym for 4 weeks now. Although my weight loss has been minimal in those 4 weeks (just short of 6 lbs total) I have seen a positive impact in other areas. I seem to have quite a bit more energy, I feel better about myself because I'm doing something to improve what I don't like, and I've seen noticeable improvement in my "bum knee" pain and discomfort.

I also took the plunge and signed up for 8-Week Lose Weight Challenge that begins March 1st. They are awarding prizes for the highest percentage of weight lost both at my local gym and nationally. I've set a (stretch) goal of losing 10% of my body weight over the course of the 8 week competition.

This is when my competitive nature can actually have a positive outcome.

~*~

Guess what I'm doing at lunch today?? No! Guess!! What? You don't like this game? Fine ...

I'm getting a manicure ... again ...

I've decided that this is "luxury" I am going to indulge in every other week. After all, my hands are, in my oh-so-humble opinion, one of my best features. It's an expense that is fairly easy to squeeze into my budget and it makes me feel special ... and I'm slowly getting used to allowing myself to feel special.

Oh! Are any of you familiar with the Shellac™ Manicure? I have to tell you that I am beyond impressed with this polish system. Not only is it completely dry when you walk out of the salon (with ZERO dry time), but it is by far the longest lasting manicure I've ever had. Today marks two weeks from my last manicure and my nail polish looks as flawless as it did on day one.

Pretty cool!

So ... what do y'all do to make yourselves feel special on occasion? Anyone have any inexpensive yet satisfying ideas (don't go there)??

~*~*~

10 comments:

Schmoop said...

If I want to feel special and/or have fun, I take my kid out to eat. It never fails that we get seated next to the strangest people, and we delight in that fact. Cheers Dana!!

Raquel's World said...

I take a bubble bath and smoke a cigar every night. No matter what!
And sometimes I get me a McFrappe.

desert rat said...

Bubble bath all the way. If it's a really rough day, I'll take two. Cup of tea and candle-light, too.

Or, I'll go to the library, find a mindless, trashy romance, and after the bath, I'll put on fresh jammies and climb into bed to read.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Most companies have policies similar to the one your company just instituted...

Good luck on the challenge.

Now with the new policy, I don't ever expect to see you on The Couch! LOL..I know people are way too busy these days.

Another Suburban Mom said...

I am very curious to hear about your review. I wonder what is such a big deal now that was not before.

Deech said...

So what happens if Cam has an Emergency at School. Will the School have to just contact your place of business because your phone is off?

I think exceptions will need to be made here....

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Good luck an the challenge!

I am not supposed to have may phone at work, but I keep it close by so I can check it between rotations and between classes. I have 3 kids at home. When one is sick I keep it on me the whole time.

Jay said...

"So ... what do y'all do to make yourselves feel special on occasion?"

Strippers? I know that's always my answer, but it might really apply here. ;-)

Mike said...

I see trouble here. You took a lunch break and did something other than lunch. This could be grounds for dismissal.

Ken said...

A little off subject but I remember a ways back you mentioning your son and something to do with insence something or other. Don't know how much research you did on it, but you might be very interested this.....

http://www.themudflats.net/2011/02/26/everything-you-never-wanted-to-know-about-synthetic-cannabis/