07 February 2011

10-4 Good Buddy



~*~*~

Those of you who have been reading me for some time know I've often toyed with the idea of getting my Commercial Driver's License (CDL), selling everything I own, and hitting the road ... Cam in tow. As silly as it might sound, it's one of those ideas I just can't get out of my head. It's something I've been thinking about for 20+ years (at least the driving part - Cam was obviously not part of the equation then).

In a strange twist of fate, Cam shares my fascination of long-haul trucking (I may or may not have had a little influence on that) and was thrilled to see a 2007 Volvo VNL670 for sale right here in Podunk! Isn't she pretty (No, this wasn't taken in Podunk, but it is the same truck)??


Anyway, Cam has requested we drive by this truck at least twice a week. He begs and pleads for be to buy it each time we drive by.

Finally, last night (as we drove by for the 6th time), in a fit of frustration, I devised a diabolical plan - and as he was begging me to buy the truck, I asked, "What do you think Cam? When you turn 18 and can get your CDL? What do you say I sell everything, buy a truck and you and I can drive as a team?"

Remember, Cam is (almost) 15. I was certain the thought of working with me - his LAME mother - would so repulse him that I'd never have to drive by that truck again. That was the plan.

The plan failed ... miserably ...

His eyes got huge as he slowly turned to look at me. It was almost as he had been possessed by C.W. McCall himself! I expected him to break out in song ...

♫ 'Cause we got a little convoy
Rockin' through the night.
Yeah, we got a little convoy,
Ain't she a beautiful sight?
Come on and join our convoy
Ain't nothin' gonna get in our way.
We gonna roll this truckin' convoy
'Cross the U-S-A.
Convoy! ♫

I have now taken Cam's obsession to the next level, and that is terrifying.

He asked me about it again, this morning, before leaving for school.

Maybe I had better look into attending night school - we do have a local Community College that offers a Truck Driving Owner/Operator Certificate. Cam can get his CDL at 18 and drive the intrastate portions of our trips.

10-4 Good Buddy!

~*~*~

14 comments:

desert rat said...

Why the hell not?!

Jay said...

I've ridden in a big rig before. It was kinda cool. I worked with a guy who was making weekend runs for cash .. uh .. for some extra money. I rode with him from Fayetteville to OKC then to Tulsa then back to Fayetteville in one day. About 16 hrs total. No stopping at truck stops and meeting with the hookers though. :( haha

But, it does have some appeal. If you love driving and seeing different parts of the country and stuff. It could be a lot of fun.

Jay said...

Oooooo .. I simulposted with Desert Rat! That's sooooo hot! heheh

Mike said...

That has always been in the back of my mind also. Are you sure a CDL isn't 21?

I wouldn't mind the 8 hours by myself on the road but the 16 hours at a truck stop would be a major bummer.

I do know a guy that does mostly 8 hour out and in runs from St. Louis so he's usually home every night.

Lu' said...

Here's a thought, Cam doesn't really dig school all that much anyway right? So when you get your CDL and sell everything to buy a truck you can also buy a laptop for Cam and he can take his classes on the internet to get his diploma. Hit the road now...

we're doomed said...

Dear Dana, you must be 21 to get a CDL for over the road driving. You must also pass a physical. If you want to get the Hazmat endorsement which many carriers require, you must get a TSA background check. Driving over the road is a great way to see the country. It is also a great way to see how many assholes a day you can run into at the warehouses where you pick up and deliver the goods you are hauling. You can make great money. That is if you don't mind working for 8 to 15 dollars per hour. Most truckers are paid by the mile or a percentage of the load. The rest are paid by the hour. Unless you are a Teamster member, you are probably not getting paid overtime. The red truck in your picture has a condo sleeper. It may also have two bunk beds. Regardless, that truck and the space inside is a very small place to live out of for 24 hours a day and usually 10 to 15 days on the road. Especially if you and your co-driver are not getting along. And I will bet you that there is no profession where there is a higher rate of bankrupcy than the trucking profession. If you like being treated like a second class citizen at times, then the trucking industry is the place for you. Most people wouldn't put up with the bullshit most truckers face everyday. If you want to see the country and can bite your tongue at least two or three times a day. Then trucking may be the job for you. Ex-military folks seem to do good in the trucking industry as they are used to having less than optimal conditions to live and work in based on the military life they have left. Conditions like: being away from their family, poor sleeping and living conditions and frustrations at circumstances beyond their control. I am not saying you and Cam shouldn't. Many people thrive in the trucking industry and wouldn't have any other job. If you are looking for a 9 to 5 job and 40 hours a week. I think you will be unhappy driving a truck. If you have a boss at work who is a complete asshole, then you might imagine the wonderful people you will run into every day as you drive a truck.

Vol-E said...

I liked what Lu' said. And this may be the perfect way to get Cam focused and future-oriented, and less interested in doing stuff that contributes to Mom's gray hair.

Schmoop said...

Waffle House here you come. Cheers Dana!!

Raquel's World said...

Lu had a great idea. But boy did "we're doomed" break it down.
After all that there is nothing left to say.

Dana said...

Desert Rat, We'll see if he still likes me in 3 years!

Jay, you and Rat really need to quit meeting this way on my blog ...

Mike, You can get a CDL at 18, but are restricted to driving within the state the CDL is issued. Those restrictions are lifted at 21. You know, I think with internet wifi being so widely available, the down time wouldn't be the end of the road (so to speak)

Dana said...

Lu', I have considered becoming a home-schooling trucker more than once ...

we're doomed, party pooper! I know there are down sides (aren't there always?) but I also think this is something that would likely be a good fit for me. *shrugs* Getting my CDL doesn't mean I have to drive, it just means that I can drive!

Vol-E, We shall see!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, and since I've never been to a waffle house, that in and of itself should be reason to make this happen!

Raquel's World, Doomed just wants to make sure I don't do anything silly based on the pure glamor of it all ;)

we're doomed said...

I just wanted to give you the 411 on the trucking industry Dana. It's always good to have a back up job or profession. A CDL certainly gives you another option/way to make a living. Everyone needs to drive a big rig down the road at 80 or 90 miles an hour at least once in their lives. Not that I have ever done that. QCTM

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

"This iiiiiiis Rubber Duck!" Loved that movie!