08 February 2011

Who Let The (Therapy) Dogs Out?



~*~*~


Meet Charlie.

Charlie has started attending school with Cam (and the other 80 enrolled students) every Thursday.

Charlie is a Therapy Dogs International, Inc. (TDI) certified therapy dog.

I have heard of dogs being used in hospitals and nursing homes to help improve morale and healing, but I had no idea they are being used in what is called Animal-Assisted Therapy (AAT), nor that a 2007 meta-analysis found that animal-assisted therapy improves outcomes in autism spectrum symptoms, medical difficulties, behavioral problems, and emotional well-being, and that counseling and school settings are becoming common places to see therapy dogs.

Recent studies indicate that AAT can:
  • Increase verbal interactions among group members.
  • Increase attention skills (i.e., paying attention, staying on task).
  • Develop leisure/recreation skills.
  • Increase self-esteem.
  • Reduce anxiety.
  • Reduce loneliness.
  • Increase trust.
Who knew? It didn't take me long to sign the permission slip.

Let's just hope this dog hasn't also been trained to detect marijuana residue ...

*rolls eyes*

~*~*~

12 comments:

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Interesting. Did not know they had trained dogs for this. I would have signed quickly also...but in case he is trained for the last, I will stay away too LOL

Raquel's World said...

The last part about sniffing out the "Mary Jane" that was funny!

Jay said...

They have therapy dogs for prisons too. Dogs pretty much rule.

Mike said...

I knew that. I can't beleive I didn't send you something about that. I'm going to have to start sending you more stuff.

Mike said...

I forgot to mention that therapy dogs make the news every once in awhile around here when they and their owner get refused entrance into (fill in store name).

we're doomed said...

I think this is a great idea.

desert rat said...

Very cool!

Deech said...

Charlie is a cutie!

Anonymous said...

After reading all the benefits of AAT, I'm thinking I need to hit up the local shelter and get a dog to save me. Seriously.

Hope it benefits Cam and his classmates too. He's a smart looking pup too!

Gina said...

Yep. Really cool. Update us with the results!

Another Suburban Mom said...

I bet the dog works out well. And I would not worry about the MJ. I am sure the drug sniffing and the therapy programs are both separate rigorous programs.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

That is so totally awesome! Really and truly. OH, and thanks for 'lurking'. :-)