18 December 2010

Friday Wrap-Up (Saturday Edition)

~*~*~

Well, after much anxiety and stress, the year-end bonus checks arrived! I was expecting a significant decrease in the amount - the economy has hit my industry pretty hard (we manufacture products primarily used in new construction) - but was pleasantly surprised. Although there was a decrease in the bonus, I couldn't get past being abundantly grateful that we received one at all.

The best part? Anyone who was reading me last year knows that Cam and I were on the receiving end of AMAZING generosity. This year? We are able to pay that forward. Isn't that what Christmas is really about?? I mean other than the baby Jesus and all ...

~*~

I'll be working diligently on my Project 365 blog this weekend. I've got about 300 pictures to download - 10 of which will find a home on the blog. Although I've really enjoyed this project, I am ready to move on ... to something far less time consuming.

I really miss HNT, and surprisingly, not for the nekkidness! Good self portraits are really difficult to take, especially if you want them to evoke feelings from the person looking at them.

Reviewing my Dana Does Digital photos, it became quite clear that I am far more comfortable taking pictures of things than people, and although things can and do arouse feelings, portrait photography takes that to a new level.

Time to work on the things that are more difficult for me rather than allowing myself to get too comfortable.

~*~

You might notice I've added a new button on the sidebar. This one to be exact:


There are a couple of reasons for that. First and foremost, it's a project I strongly believe in. I see writing as free therapy - as a way to connect with others when what you feel is stifling loneliness. Band Back Together - the brain child of Mommy Wants Vodka's Aunt Becky - is a safe place to write and connect with other people.

I am far more of a behind the scenes person that a lead role person. I like knowing that I was part of the nuts and bolts that enabled a presentation to sparkle. In other words, I don't mind getting covered in glitter, I just don't want to step on the stage sparkling.

Aunt Becky asked if I would be interested in helping out with the editing of Band Back Together. Not only was I extremely flattered that she believed I had the skill set to successfully edit, but hell to the yes! This is right up my alley.

I edited my first post just a few days ago and plan on being an integral part of Band Back Together's continued success.

~*~

Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability,
but comes through continuous struggle.
And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom.
A man can't ride you unless your back is bent.
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

~*~*~

9 comments:

Mike said...

Any bonus is better than no bonus. Unless it's a substitute for a raise.

Jay said...

Bonuses are nice.

Yeah, that's pretty much all I've got.

I'll go check out this Band site.

we're doomed said...

MLK, he made a lot of profound statements. Everyday I wake up, and my family is safe, is a bonus for me. Money is good too.

Schmoop said...

Yay for the bonus and it's always good when a band gets back together...unless it's like Air Supply...or the Bay City Rollers. Cheers Dana!!

Deech said...

I am seriously considering doing some more personal photo takes on my blog.

Once Again, you have inspired me to think about how creative I can actually be.

Maggie said...

Yay on being able to pay it forward! This is what community and life is about- gracefully accepting help when needed and giving when able. We'd all be a little better off if people could accept and live both sides of that.

Knight said...

I have to wonder why they wait so long when they know you really need it. Still congrats on getting the bonus when you didn't know for sure!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

We do not get any bonuses..so good on you!

Merry Christmas to you and Cam...Hope 2011 lets us meet!

Aunt Becky said...

BB2G is lucky to have you. I mean it. Thank you.