20 August 2010

Friday Wrap-Up


~*~*~

We now return you to your regularly scheduled blogging.

Not sure what happened this week - I've got tons of ideas for blog posts - just couldn't find the discipline to sit down and put those thoughts together. I'd think it had something to do with Cam returning to school, and attempting to adjust to a new schedule, but he doesn't go back to school until next Wednesday ... maybe ...

~*~

Cam's new school is about an hour away and the district is providing transportation (i.e. taxi service door-to-door). I hadn't heard anything on the transportation schedule so I sent an email to the district explaining my concern.

I received a phone call from Leonore shortly after sending the email. They were putting the order in on Thursday - they would get back to me Friday with the details. I asked who I should call if I didn't hear anything on Friday and got the, "Oh! You'll hear back on Friday. You won't need to follow-up!" Ummm ... yeah ...

Yesterday was the one week mark and I have heard nothing. I called Leonore and suddenly she wasn't the person I needed to talk to - she transfers me to Patty.

Patty insists this isn't a quick process - that Leonore gave me incorrect information a week ago - but that she will have the transportation information for me Friday (today). Anyone want to take any bets??

Accountability seems to be as elusive as the yellow-bellied sap-sucker these days.

~*~

I created chaos at work this week and - for a period of time - thought I might have pushed a little too far.

I am the regional accountant for our western division branches (Northern California, Southern California and Arizona). My AZ branch has always been a thorn in my side. I've got an incompetent bookkeeper there, and a General Manager who has an odd (inappropriate?) relationship with her. She continues to screw up - to negatively impact the success of the western division - and no one will do anything about it.

This has been going on for 3+ years. It came to a head on Tuesday, and resulted in closed door conference calls involving the Controller, the CFO, the VP and the GM in AZ. I was a bit stressed.

True to form, no one has given me any status update, but I do know that my bookkeeper in AZ did exactly what she was supposed to do yesterday, and that was my goal.

What happened to people honoring their word? Doing the right thing rather than the easy thing? Addressing conflict and performance in a direct manner rather than bitching about it behind closed doors and doing nothing?

*shakes head*

~*~

Donations for Boo and her family continue to come in. Thanks again to all of you who have supported her with donations and continued thoughts and prayers.

Just a reminder that Nitebyrd is donating 100% of the proceeds from any/all sales in her Etsy Shop to Boo and her family through 25th.

I am a huge fan of her Designer Upcycle/Recycle Tote Bags. Not only are they adorable, but they are quite practical too!

Clicking on the banner below will take you directly to Nitebyrd's shop


~*~*~

10 comments:

Schmoop said...

I am not a fan of recyclable, earth-freindly bags. I prefer to use oil based, poly-urethane garbage bags for my toteing purposes. Cheers Dana!!

Raquel's World said...

Leave it to me to be negative Nancy but here goes...

My nephew takes a school supplied cab to school and it is a disaster. They show up at random times, often 2-3 hours before school starts. Then the next week late??? My sister will get things sorted out with one driver than they switch.

Also they are overbooked so a few times they dropped him off 1 hour before the school building opened and left him there to wait "because they had other kids to get to other schools and it was the most convenient way." The school was in a bad neighborhood.

But that is here in the good ole state of NC. Hope this works out for you. If Cam doesn't have a cell phone I would get him one pronto. I would be interested to see if you have the same issues, so provide an update a few weeks in at least.

Just Me said...

Have you not learned yet, schools do things at their own rate? I hopefully it all works out. That they get it all squared away soon.

Like you I like things planned and concrete way more in advance than anyone else is ready.

I really hope things don't turn out like the above negative Nancy pointed out.

Dana said...

Matt-Man, and here I was thinking the bad in the shades of aqua would really bring out your eyes!

Raquel's World, I am remaining optimistic, with reservations. My greatest concern is that Cam fell through the cracks (again) and that scheduling with a taxi service might be difficult as they are all already committed - most of the schools within a 50 mile radius of me have already started.

If I don't hear anything today, I'll be showing up at the district office Monday morning - in person - and will not leave until the transportation issue is resolved ... cause I'm one of *those* parents!

Baseball Mom, I actually understand that their protocols/scheduling are not usually going to be on my time line, but when you tell me I'll hear something in 24 hours, and I haven't heard anything for over a week, I get a bit cranky.

Osbasso said...

Honoring their word? Isn't that an expectation?? :-P

Mike said...

"Anyone want to take any bets??"

Make sure your car has plenty of gas and you have enough time for the round trip.

Alfro said...

Best of luck on the transportation.
when we moved here 3 years ago our daughter had special needs transportation. We had also called for 2 weeks before school started to find out the "deal". We got a call from the Bus Driver, the first day of school 30 minutes before class started.

Jeff B said...

"thought I might have pushed a little too far."

You? I never would have guessed it.

Actually sounds like she might have needed a shove, not just a push.

Maggie said...

Sounds like nothing should surprise you anymore when it comes to Cam's school mess.

Vixen said...

Ugh.... I hope the school transportation gets worked out SOON. What a mess.