04 August 2010

The i's Have It!

~*~*~

I had an epiphany when watching Roy Wood Jr. on Last Comic Standing Monday night. In his set, he mentioned how "white folks" should be required to wear a wristband - or have a hand stamp - if they are "black folk" friendly. As he said, "We want to like you, but we just can't tell you from the bad guys!"

I'm thinking this is EXACTLY what I need for my Twitter relationships - color coded twibbons that identify just what type of follower someone is. A visual cue, if you will, alerting me to the social norms and expectations that are reasonable for that follower.

No more guessing, "Is this twitter follower just trying to get free publicity and will unfollow if I don't RT them? Or is this a Twitter relationship with the potential to grow into a 'real life' friendship?" No more hurt feelings when what you think is an iBFF turns into an iQuaintance, or worse yet, runs like an iFrenemy in the middle of the night (similar to the Baltimore Colts).

I propose we use the following color code designators/definitions for all Twitter relationships:

iBFF

This relationship has evolved over a long period of time, through multiple social media venues and often in person. Through mutual respect, trust, and openness, you feel absolutely comfortable sharing private information with the iBFF including your real phone number and street address. When something happens in your life - good or bad - your iBFF is one of the first people you text or DM. You work hard to maintain this bond through reciprocity, accessibility, empathy and compassion. You would never unfollow an iBFF without talking to them face-to-face, or at the very least, on the telephone.

iFriend

This relationship is still in the beginning stages. You are starting to trust them and enjoy the friendship that seems to be blossoming from your tweets and DMs. Loyalty isn’t guaranteed, nor expected, in an iFriend relationship. You might give this person a PO Box to send something to, and you'd arrange for a meeting in a public place, but you'd never consider giving them your real phone number. An iFriend can become an iBFF or an iFrenemy in the span of 140 characters or less so be careful! iFriends will often unfollow without discussion, but everyone will notice.

iQuaintance

This is a random person that follows you and may be active in some of the same cyber communities as you are. You don’t really interact with this follower frequently, but when you do, the banter is casual and friendly. You know very little about each others personal lives, and that's fine - you don’t really care to! iQuaintances can become iFriends over time, but that is a rarity as these followers include celebrities and news agencies. Expectations are low and unfollowing can occur at any time, painlessly and without notice.

iFrenemy

This is a person with whom you may have a lot of common followers/cyber contacts but who also has a random dark side. Expect an iFrenemy to continue haunting old stomping grounds and to never completely go away. The iFrenemy can often be found searching the Twitter stream and talking to iBFF's behind your back. Know too, that you will likely become the iFrenemy's iFrenemy. It is just the natural progression of this relationship. It is recommended, for your own safety and sanity, that you limit yourself to only one iFrenemy at any given time.

Simple, right?? The way I see it Twitter can do away with those silly lists and instead offer color coded twibbons, allowing us to appropriately mark the status of followers based on their iStatus, eliminating Twitter drama and keeping Twitter expectations exactly where they should be *cough*verylow*cough*.

We would have to come up with a special twibbon color for @Jayman3768 's (a.k.a. Cynical Bastard) stripper followers since there really should be an iStripper designator ... I'm thinking pink might do nicely.

~*~*~

22 comments:

we're doomed said...

I don't twitter, I don't twitter, I don't twitter, now holds breath until I turn blue.

Schmoop said...

Ha. Very good. I was going to suggest a ribbon for iAssholes, but those types are typically self-leaking and self-explanatory. I should know; I are one. Cheers Dana!!

Maggie said...

Through my work account I get all sorts of follow unfollow follow unfollow types. Their profiles almost always tout their social media expert status and they have no qualms about spamming to share their vast knowledge. (Last bit read as sarcasm) Anyway, great ribbon idea. :-)

Dana said...

we're doomed, I would never try to tempt anyone to the dark side that is twitter, but it really can be fun, and makes excellent blog fodder!

Matt-Man, maybe we should go with a "dripping" brown twibbon for the iAssholes??

Maggie, I'm fickle - I actually block those who want to share their vast knowledge with the twitterverse.

Christo Gonzales said...

cute until you got to pink - that one is already in use for breast cancer...

Gina said...

I'd give you my address....especially after you made my day by stirring my blog post pot yesterday!

Raquel's World said...

I'm so self centered that as I read this I am trying to determine what my ribbon would be????

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Jay has stripper followers? Now, I have to go ponder my twitter relationships. :-)

Dana said...

doggybloggy, Let's see ...

Blue Ribbon : child abuse prevention
Green Ribbon : childhood depression awareness
Red Ribbon : AIDS awareness
Yellow Ribbon : suicide prevention (a cause near and dear to my heart)

They are ALL taken, and I mocked them all. I am an equal opportunity mocker!

Gina, you are a very brave (or silly) woman!

Dana said...

Raquel's World, you get no twibbon because you aren't on Twitter! Or are you??

Evil Twin's Wife, Jay has stripper lists on Twitter! He is a wealth of useful information!

Jay said...

Not only do I follow some strippers on twitter, but a few of them follow me back and have replied to me. And a couple have even sent me DMs. Woo-hoo!! ;-)

Actually I got unfollowed the other day by someone I've "known" online for like 3 + years and we have followed each other on Twitter since the day I joined. So I was a little surprised that after nearly 18,000 tweets she up and unfollowed me. Oh well.

Karen said...

I am so glad I don't fall into the twitter drama. I honestly wouldn't notice if someone stopped following me. But I think your idea has applications in other parts of my universe.

tjames said...

As a lesbian, I think it would be nice to have those ribbons for people who are "gay friendly" as well.

Deech said...

Ha! This is great! I guess I better step up though because according to this I am only an Iquaintance.

Just Me said...

iLike. Very cool idea. Would make thngs easier for those of us not seen, but just annoying sound. *giggle*

Mike said...

What's twitter?

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

GREAT post... I am glad I would only need to have one red ribbon...cause I totally have an iFrenemy...and I see them here every day!

Dana said...

Jay, you've been DM'd by a stripper?? Wow! I really *am* impressed!

Karen, that's because you stay away from Twitter most of the time! *makes note to self*

tjames, I think "gay friendly" might need it's own twibbon AND a wristband! I know the rainbow has become a universal symbol, will that work?

Dana said...

Joker_SATX, but I have your cell phone number and have met you in person. That's no iQuaintance!

Baseball Mom, why yes! Yes it would!

Dana said...

Mike, step away from the Twitter ...

Vinny "Bond" Marini, so you've met your iFrenemy allotment?? You had better be on your best behavior!

Shiny Rod said...

People come people go! People follow, people don't! But I do like my circle of twitter friends as I some are also friends on my FB page. I like sharing the tidbits of life and any advice or assistance I can. I have my lists broken into 3 categories. Friends, celebs and businesses. Friends are the ones I tweet and sometimes they tweet back or even an occassional DM. Celebs are those I tweet but because they are so far above the common person, I don't expect a return although Levar Burton has returned a tweet or two from me. Businesses, I really don't care if they tweet and I only tweet back when appropriately deserving. Scadoosh!!!

Another Suburban Mom said...

Its a very interesting idea it could even take off.