06 August 2010

Friday Wrap-Up




~*~*~

I had several people contact me regarding the blogger mentioned in yesterday's HNT - offering to help with anything the family might need. I was extremely touched by that kindness and will keep all of you informed should there be any future needs.

Fortunately, it sounds like their immediate physical needs have been taken care of. My goal is to insure their long-term emotional needs are taken care of.

~*~

A strange thing happened at work yesterday afternoon. The payroll administrator (i.e. the receptionist who got one hell of a promotion) and the HR Director (i.e. the only person the company could find willing to work in Podunk who speaks fluent Spanish and English) called me into the HR office. Why yes, it was an "Oh Shit!" moment.

As it turns out, they were having a difference of opinion and wanted to ask me a couple of questions regarding policy changes my employer is considering.

Would I mind having my lunch reduced from 60 minutes to 30 minutes? Ummm ... hello?? You're going to take 30 minutes of paid time away from me and you are wondering if that would be an issue?? Hell yes it would be an issue!

The second question requires a little explanation. My pay designator is Salaried Non-Exempt. It's a really strange pay category - one not used many places. What it means is that if I work 37.5 - 40 hours I receive 40 hours of pay. If I work more than 40 hours, I am still eligible for overtime. In other words, it's a glorified hourly position.

The HR Director asks me if I would mind having to work 40 hours/week, rather than the 37.5 hours/week currently required. My question? Are you going to adjust my pay to compensate for those 2.5 hours per week? Well, no.

Now I realize HR Director isn't a numbers guy, so I explain to him that adding those 2.5 hours/week to my work schedule, with no additional pay, results in a 6.3% pay DECREASE - that I would be making less money than when I was first hired 2-1/2 years ago. Yes ... yes I would mind.

I am amazed at how completely out of touch the HR Director is with employees. He's either an idiot, or believes we are idiots who wouldn't realize we were getting a massage without the happy ending.

~*~

I woke up this morning to the freezer door WIDE OPEN. I'm not sure what happened, but since there was a bag of broccoli cheese soup on the floor, I'm pretty sure there was a whacked-out, orange and white cat named Scooter involved.

Unfortunately, it had been open for quite some time. Everything inside had thawed and was semi warm including 2 lbs of hamburger, 2 lbs of pork chops and a 5 lb bag of chicken breasts. I considered taking my chances on the meat but then figured the health care costs for treating E. coli would be much higher than the cost of replacing the meat.

Still ... it was tempting ... as I put everything in a big black trash bag I felt like I was throwing a $20 bill in a bonfire.

I'll be picking up a child proofing lock for the freezer sometime this weekend.

~*~

No big plans this weekend which is kind of nice. As we get closer to the school year starting up again the routine begins to take shape.

That is a good thing!

~*~*~

16 comments:

Schmoop said...

One thing that has always irritated the hell out of me is when I have wasted food.

Not that you did, but the thawed out meat and having to throw it out story reminded me of that. Okay, I'm better now. Enjoy your relaxing weekend. Cheers Dana!!

Just Me said...

I can not believe they would even think ppl would be okay with working more for less. I really hope that does not go thru for the employees, more importantly .. Y-O-U.

I so hate when food has to be thrown out like that. I would be getting a child lock as well.

Gina said...

I hope they listen to you since they asked.

And good call on not eating that meat. I have major food issues and that story gave me the heebie jeebies.

Forest Bard's Wife said...

I would have been angry at the wasted food too, but you made the right call.

Dana said...

Matt-Man, I thought that was wasted beer? Oh wait! Beer *is* food! how

Baseball Mom, when I mentioned a change lack that would mean a $1.28/hour pay decrease for me the HR Director said, "You base your pay on working 37.5 hours/week? And I thought ... ummm ... isn't that how it's done??

Dana said...

Gina, I'm not one who gets hung-up on sell-by dates, and had the meat still been cold I'd have salvaged it, but the fact that it was room temperature in places made me nervous.

Evil Twin's Wife, I almost had orange and white cat for dinner tonight!

Raquel's World said...

The HR guy was dumb to ask you if you minded. People are always gonna "mind" if things are taken from them...duh? If this is a decision your company is gonna have to make they should have just made it.

Jay said...

Most places I've worked have used the salaried/non-exempt designation. I've never seen one that had people w/ that designation working only 37.5 hour weeks though.

When companies put together salary/benefit packages or each position it's done on a yearly basis, not hourly. So, to them your already getting paid for a 40 hour work week. I know, I know, but that's the way THEY look at it. To them, you've been getting "bonus" pay all this time.

As for the meat, I guess you could have cooked it all? No, I don't know what you would have done about having to go to work, I can't solve all problems. LOL ;-)

we're doomed said...

There is nothing human about human resources. And they aren't very resourceful either. And don't even think they might understand human nature. Dana, you were just given a scary peek at the old "a chain is only strong as it's weakest link" chain holding your company together. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Mike said...

"Would I mind having my lunch reduced from 60 minutes to 30 minutes?"

See I would automatically assume I was going to get to go home 30 minutes earlier. Silly me.

captain corky said...

"My goal is to insure their long-term emotional needs are taken care of."

This is why I love you, Dana.

Every time I read Disbelief the horror takes my breath away.

Shiny Rod said...

***Sniffles*** Sad to hear about the loss. Those special ones, the ones who give us unconditional love hit the hardest.

Good thing my cat doesn't know how to open the refrigerator but he does know how to get into the storage room in my basement. Ginger doesn't care and in fact, I have seen her close the door after Mitts has gone in.

Karen said...

Do you have an employment contract or handbook that outlines what your entitled to as far as lunch time and such? I know the employer holds the cards unless you are unionized, but it still may be bargaining chip for you. It is a slippery slope when this crap starts happening.

Me said...

my pay has gone 25% in the last two years whils my responsibilities and hour have increased substantilly, which is why I quit this job. Until the economy picks up we can expect more of this but the HR person was asanine for asking you.

Knight said...

Maybe you could get some paid vacation to make up the difference?

I really push the line with not wasting food sometimes. I've made myself sick more than once.

Another Suburban Mom said...

Your HR person is making me physically ill. I hate the stupid..